• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New AV setup (£1000) - Need recommendations

I am Jon

Established Member
I've got £1000 to buy an av system, here's what I'm looking at:
  • Onkyo TX-SR604e AV Receiver £400.00
  • Onkyo DV-SP404E DivX DVD Player £140.00
  • Celestion F30 Dark Apple (Floorstanders) £199.95
  • Celestion F10 Dark Apple (Bookshelf) £109.95
  • Celestion F35C Dark Apple (Centre) £79.95
Only I'm not too sure about any of it...
The receiver seems a bit over kill (i only need 5.1?), I have no idea if the speakers are any good, I just think they look nice and I don't know if I should be getting a subwoofer.

Requirements:
  • Great sound quality
  • Fairly loud 100wpc for front speakers
  • DivX playback
  • HDMI - Doesn't seem much point in having video switching without it?
  • Nice looking / not too huge
Any suggestions on what I should be buying?

Edit:
I currently have a 3 year old pair of mordaunt short 904's? Which sound great except the bass is a little weak. Thought about getting more mordaunt short speakers to make it up to 5.1 but I can't find all the units in matching black :( and those Celestion's look so nice.

Edit 2:
Found them all in black except for the sub
  • Mordaunt Short 903 AVANT Black Bipolar rear
  • Mordaunt Short 905i Black (Single centre)
  • Mordaunt Short 308 AVANT Silver (Subwoofer)
So will this sound better than the Celestion's? Will the subwoofer makeup for the 904's lack of bass when playing music? And do DVD players make good CD players? My current one takes ages to recognise an audio CD.

Edit 3: Just found the Pioneer VSX1016S for £409 on empire direct. Spec looks virtually the same as the Onkyo TX-SR604e. Which should I go for?

Thanks

Jon D

GW43

Prominent Member
You ought to get round to your friendly local hifi/AV emporium before you commit yourself.

Have a look/listen and discuss your needs/budget with the staff there.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom