New AV set up - help speaker placement 5.1 longer term 7.1

Glad you're enjoying your new gear! 👍🏼🙂

On a side note, I can highly recommend this stuff to hide any speaker wires. It's called "D Line Trunking"

The micro stuff is good for speaker cable. For thicker cables (HDMI, coax, ethernet etc), get the 30x15mm stuff.
Yeah that’s what I’ve used on front left and right, with a larger piece of tv wires.
Going to glue gun the front heights wire down the corners of the wall. It’s a thinner wire and easily to paint over. Just waiting for a new glue gun :).
Still playing with settings. There a lot to learn/ play with 😂.

Yeah that’s what I’ve used on front left and right, with a larger piece of tv wires.
Going to glue gun the front heights wire down the corners of the wall. It’s a thinner wire and easily to paint over. Just waiting for a new glue gun :).
Still playing with settings. There a lot to learn/ play with 😂.
Fair enough mate. Regarding settings, I assume you've ran Audessey (with the mic)? Have you set your speakers to "small" post configuration. This ensures that all the low frequencies are handled by the 2 subs.

If you need help tweaking the setup, let me know!

Fair enough mate. Regarding settings, I assume you've ran Audessey (with the mic)? Have you set your speakers to "small" post configuration. This ensures that all the low frequencies are handled by the 2 subs.

If you need help tweaking the setup, let me know!
Thank you!!

Yes calibrated the whole way though. Speakers were automatically set to small. But…

Then realised last night I hadn’t set the multi32 on (I think that’s correct). So have done now lol. Have kept it set as reference.

Also set video to bypass - though miss the onscreen graphics now. But can live without.

The only issue I have is dialogue is low on Atmos. Dolby surround its great. But to hear dialogue on Atmos I have to turn it up lots, then everything is louder.

I could turn up centre channel but won’t that be for all sound modes?

The rest sounds great though!

I could turn up centre channel but won’t that be for all sound modes?
Yep any changes would be for all sound modes, but many do increase the centre channel level a few dB's. It shouldn't affect the other modes too much tbh

Last edited:
Yep any changes would be for all sound modes, but many do increase the centre channel level a few dB's. It should affect the other modes too much tbh
Done :) just. did it for Apple TV for now via the options menu... Gonna test. a Bluray via. playstation tonight so see how that does. Thank you :)

Done :) just. did it for Apple TV for now via the options menu... Gonna test. a Bluray via. playstation tonight so see how that does. Thank you :)
No worries!

What are your speaker crossovers set to.

I assume the crossover dial on your subs are both set to "AV" and each are connected to the Denon's sub outs?

Last edited:
No worries!

I assume the crossover dial on your subs are both set to "AV" and each are connected to the Denon's sub outs?
Hmm cross over yes, I did have the 2nd one attached to the right. Changed to left. which is correct? I assumed left and right lol

Once have glued up wiring will redo the set up and share results.

No worries!

Hi

Just used the audyssey app and got these cross over results. I seem to remember increasing speakers to 80 minimum… however concerned I may bugger it up lol.
7FD3B8A5-E2D5-4ED8-8D70-E40E6FC9B2DE.png
do I?
It also set dynamic eq on. Unsure if want this lol.

Thanks

Garry

Hi

Just used the audyssey app and got these cross over results. I seem to remember increasing speakers to 80 minimum… however concerned I may bugger it up lol.
View attachment 1508535do I?
It also set dynamic eq on. Unsure if want this lol.

Thanks

Garry
Yep. Change the crossover of the front, centre and surrounds to 80Hz. Will not muck it up. If you don't like the sound, set them back to what they are above.

I would also try setting the surrounds higher then the front 3 @ 120Hz. (see how it sounds compared to @ 80Hz). Match the front height to rear height @ 200Hz

Try Dynamic EQ off - choose whichever you prefer.

Post your subwoofer settings too.

Yep. Change the crossover of the front, centre and surrounds to 80Hz. Will not muck it up. If you don't like the sound, set them back to what they are above.

I would also try setting the surrounds higher then the front 3 @ 120Hz. (see how it sounds compared to @ 80Hz). Match the front height to rear height @ 200Hz

Try Dynamic EQ off - choose whichever you prefer.

Post your subwoofer settings too.
Done :) will listen to the above and see how it. goes.

Clicked on bass it says

Sub mode LFE
LPF for LFE 120 Hz

Done :) will listen to the above and see how it. goes.

Clicked on bass it says

Sub mode LFE
LPF for LFE 120 Hz
Great! Sub LFE setting & crossover is correct too! 😊

Sounds great for records too 🥳

I got a little carried away with new set up and bought a turntable lol.
Looks fab that. Am pleased you're enjoying your new kit!

Looks fab that. Am pleased you're enjoying your new kit!
Yes! LOTS!

Will be better once have redecorated in a few weeks, and then the new tv lol. Pretty. much have done a complete overhaul in living room; but its definitely worth it!

Thank you for your help! @Gasp3621 too!

Yes! LOTS!

Will be better once have redecorated in a few weeks, and then the new tv lol. Pretty. much have done a complete overhaul in living room; but its definitely worth it!

Thank you for you help!
You're welcome!

Those speakers will sound even nicer when they've been "run in" after around 70hrs of listening 😊

You're welcome!

Those speakers will sound even nicer when they've been "run in" after around 70hrs of listening 😊
Funny you mention that.. I had noticed a difference. Same with turntable today - only set it up yesterday.

Though could be todays crossover changes.. But definitely glad I got the turntable with the amp built in, it really does sound great. Would of been buyers remorse I fear if hadn't.

The 2 subs are probably over kill for my needs; but theoretically make sense to me. ha ha

Funny you mention that.. I had noticed a difference. Same with turntable today - only set it up yesterday.

Though could be todays crossover changes.. But definitely glad I got the turntable with the amp built in, it really does sound great. Would of been buyers remorse I fear if hadn't.

The 2 subs are probably over kill for my needs; but theoretically make sense to me. ha ha
2 subs are always better than 1 generally mate - As long as they're set up correctly 😉👍🏼

Hey guys

I might regret asking this, or maybe not. But I have seen a few posts around the importance of the front speakers, so the question is would you recommend 3020i's over the 3010i's?

Would they be too big, been measuring as would reduce the toe'ing in they would fit back on wall closer...

Would it make such a difference? and thus worth it for sound?

As really enjoying listening to vinyl and can only see this continue - Apple Music may be doing hifi quality soon, and would def stick with stereo for music.

Or stick with what I have. It really does sound great, but what if.. So wanted a few honest answers. I can't move the speakers to stands, came from that and prefer the low unit - which is too low to put the speakers on. So they would be wall mounted. But seen a number of pictures (google) where people have put 3020i's on the wall.

Anyway honestly just want your view is it worth it? or would it look too much to go there for now.

Thank you

Hey guys

I might regret asking this, or maybe not. But I have seen a few posts around the importance of the front speakers, so the question is would you recommend 3020i's over the 3010i's?

Would they be too big, been measuring as would reduce the toe'ing in they would fit back on wall closer...

As really enjoying listening to vinyl and can only see this continue - Apple Music may be doing hifi quality soon, and would def stick with stereo for music.

Or stick with what I have. It really does sound great, but what if.. So wanted a few honest answers. I can't move the speakers to stands, came from that and prefer the low unit - which is too low to put the speakers on. So they would be wall mounted. But seen a number of pictures (google) where people have put 3020i's on the wall.

Anyway honestly just want your view is it worth it? or would it look too much to go there for now.

Thank you
I'd stick with what you got tbh mate. The 3020i's are bigger and will be harder to wall mount/look right.

You're enjoying your setup as is, so..... Less tinkering, more listening I say! 😊👍🏼

I'd stick with what you got tbh mate. The 3020i's are bigger and will be harder to wall mount/look right.

You're enjoying your setup as is, so..... Less tinkering, more listening I say! 😊👍🏼
Good just about to spend `£65 on a record lol... My bank balance thanks you

Hey guys

Thank you

For me the answer would be yes if you could get them on stands on top of the unit leaving some space behind aswell. What i mean is adjustable table stands like these below (30-50cm):

Amazon product ASIN B079SJ1DTG

For me the answer would be yes if you could get them on stands on top of the unit leaving some space behind aswell. What i mean is adjustable table stands like these below (30-50cm):

Amazon product ASIN B079SJ1DTG
If @decson74 can put them on stands as you suggest, then yes it'd be worth it. My advice was based around him wanting to wall mount the 3020i's (as he has currently with the 3010i's.

Next years project 😂. I still have new tv to buy. Switching out the speakers from wall easy and was gonna put the 3010is in bedroom (just look out for old av).

But think of do it will go with proper stands. Not sure how they’d look on my unit being honest 🙈

Of course by then may of got rid of tv and be living with records all over place 😂

Honestly next year may build a unit into that wall. So definitely an idea :). Though might just make it higher at base. So speakers same height as centre speaker now. It would solve all issues.

Thank you for inspiration:). Btw the rega black matt colour is nearly exact shade as the carbon black q acoustics. So well chuffed it all matches :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom