New AV receiver

keith7481

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and looking for a little advice. I've done some searching on this forum and think I know where I'm headed but just want to be sure. I'm looking for a new receiver and would like to have both a surround sound probably 5.1) capability, as well as both A/B speakers. My plan is to use the surround hook up with the TV in the living room, with the B speakers outdoors for music on the patio. As I look at the back side of most receivers, I don't see anything that looks like both A and B main speakers. I'm guessing things have changed a lot since I last purchased a stereo :) So, recommendations on a receiver that will have 5.1 capability and have an option for a B main? From what I['ve seen, I'm guessing I'll need a 11.1 capable receiver?? I don't need to run A and B at the same time. Thanks in advance.

Most 7 channel AV receivers fascilitate reassignment of the back speaker amplification to be used to power a pair of second audio zone speakers. It should however be noted that not all models will allow you to portray all sources via that second zone. Some receivers may deny you the ability to pass audio sourced via HDMI inputs to the second zone speakers.

The second zone speakers may need to be connected to the back speaker terminals in some instances while there may in fact be dedicated zone 2 terminals onboard other receivers.

There's also another option available by the way of HEOS or MusicCast. THese systems allow an AV receiver to convey audio to additional zones wirelessly and without needing to reassign the receiver's own onboard amplification. You would however need to use HEOS or MusicCast enabled speakers wit their own integral amplification in order to exploit these systems. HEOS is proprietary to Marantz and DEnon while MusicCast is a Yamaha su=ystem.

I'm remodeling the house and have already run speaker wire outside, so I'm thinking the wireless speakers are probably not needed. So, if I want to run music from the TV via HDMI to the outside speakers, I'd have to check to see if the receiver is capable of that?

I'm remodeling the house and have already run speaker wire outside, so I'm thinking the wireless speakers are probably not needed. So, if I want to run music from the TV via HDMI to the outside speakers, I'd have to check to see if the receiver is capable of that?

TV's don't have HDMI outputs. You'd need to either make an optical S/PDIF digital audio connection from the TV to your AV receiver or use HDMI ARC to convey the audio from the TV to the receiver. I'm not sure that the latter would be a viable second audio zone source? THe former will depend upon the receiver in question given that not all receivers can convey S/PDIF sources to a second audio zone.

Ok, sounds good. I'll start to look for a 7.1 and def check to see what it has for second zone options. Much appreciated.

The sony Strdn1080 will allow you to do want you want it to do with the speakers outside can be had for around £429

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom