New av receiver

generalgizmo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all..
I'm looking to move my pioneer vsx 1131 av receiver into the front room from my den and giving the front room denon to a friend..and then upgrading to something with more channels 9.2 pref and power..
It will be used for movies 4khdr and bluray and music via cd or YouTube.. No tv channels whatsoever.. currently the kit it will be driving consists of Panasonic ez952, Sony ubx, pioneer reg free 45o and dali zensors, change the sub later in yr..
I was looking at another pioneer around £1k
Or a bit more.. but hear good things about Arcam how good are they..?? I know they're expensive but if it means saving for longer then so be it.. or any other recommendations be great..
Many thanks any help be appreciated.
All the best
General Gizmo

If you want another Pioneer then you can get an LX801 for around £1099 was £1899 from Peter Tyson. I’ve had the LX901 for 2 years and have had no problems with it.

If you want another Pioneer then you can get an LX801 for around £1099 was £1899 from Peter Tyson. I’ve had the LX901 for 2 years and have had no problems with it.

Thanks I'll see if I can have a listen in my local RS.. had all Pioneer as one remote to control the kuro, av and bluray.. save so many remotes.. Then got the oled.. one remote for front room as all be pioneer there too..
What was it that you like about your model..??
My old denon seems a bit bass heavy reason I liked the Pioneer but am open to other brands..
Thanks for reply

I think that the Arcam, especially with Dirac is a better AVR, there is no doubt about it, but the real benefit would be for music listening. Given that most of your listening is AV and given your budget, most of the AVR's at that price point will provide excellent service its a matter of personal taste.

If you want an Arcam like AVR for a bit less money, there is the Nad T758v3 for £1300:

NAD T 758 V3 AV Receiver

EDIT: Also, if you want power and sound quality but can live without Atmos and HDR passthrough, then the Cambridge Audio CXR200 is worth considering.

Note that both the NAD and all Arcam AV receivers only have 7 channels of integrated amplification. If wanting a 9 or more channel setup then you'd have to add external amplification.

It is probably als worth mentioning that the NAD has only 3 HDMI inputs.

Yes, there are plenty of pros and cons on all AVR's, I don't think any are perfect unfortunately. The OP said that preferably he would want 9 channels, which suggested that 7 channels may be an acceptable compromise, if going for the Cambridge for example, in order to get the massive onboard power amps and clean and detailed sound quality.

The Nad and the Arcam only do 7 channels on board, but have the option for up to 11 channels with external amplification and both come with Dirac, which is a nice room correction system to have. The NAD is limited to 3 HDMI inputs, but if that is not enough, many users seem to be managing okay with HDMI switches to add more.

Thanks I'll see if I can have a listen in my local RS.. had all Pioneer as one remote to control the kuro, av and bluray.. save so many remotes.. Then got the oled.. one remote for front room as all be pioneer there too..
What was it that you like about your model..??
My old denon seems a bit bass heavy reason I liked the Pioneer but am open to other brands..
Thanks for reply
I upgraded from an LX56 in a 7.1 configuration. I’ve owned Denon and Sony before but I’ve always liked the sound of Pioneers and the relative ease of setting up uo and use. I wanted to upgrade to 7.2.4 atmos and the LX901 was one of a couple of 11.2 amps available at the time. It is the best setup I’ve had which handles music and movies effortlessly.

I upgraded from an LX56 in a 7.1 configuration. I’ve owned Denon and Sony before but I’ve always liked the sound of Pioneers and the relative ease of setting up uo and use. I wanted to upgrade to 7.2.4 atmos and the LX901 was one of a couple of 11.2 amps available at the time. It is the best setup I’ve had which handles music and movies
I upgraded from an LX56 in a 7.1 configuration. I’ve owned Denon and Sony before but I’ve always liked the sound of Pioneers and the relative ease of setting up uo and use. I wanted to upgrade to 7.2.4 atmos and the LX901 was one of a couple of 11.2 amps available at the time. It is the best setup I’ve had which handles music and movies effortlessly.

Thanks for the response.. I think it will be another pioneer at this rate as thinking about it they are very easy to setup.. have a budget one too in the snugg and comparing it to the denon there were things I was still finding out a couple yrs later... it was a very complex machine... if I get a decent pioneer receiver it should do me good and leave a bit more flexibility money wise to buy another set of speakers ...:clap: I think going the Arcam route although great sound for what I want will take me a while to put money aside..

Thanks.. completely forgot that the Pioneer is a doddle to setup.. the denon was a far more complex machine and found things out on it yrs down the line.. if they are the same now I do not know but looks like the Pioneer is more in favour..

Thanks guys

Thanks.. completely forgot that the Pioneer is a doddle to setup.. the denon was a far more complex machine and found things out on it yrs down the line.. if they are the same now I do not know but looks like the Pioneer is more in favour..

Thanks guys

Denon and Marantz receivers are probably the easiest models available to set up. They include inbuilt set up wizards that guide you through the process pictorially onscreen.

Last edited:
Thanks it's a 231O I have in front room and took a while to get used to it very powerful though.. prob best I listen to a couple different brands as just one remote makes no difference anymore.. have a Logitechcould programme but only used it for access to the kuro service menu..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom