New AV receiver required, unsure of whats best for me

tombo

Standard Member
Reaction score
my 10 year old Sony STR DB940 has died this week.

im hoping it will kick back into life (it has once) but i am not holding out hope :)

its had a good innings.

i have had a look around and though have seen some things i like, i dont know if i need them.

(onkyo txnr515 look nice...but probably more than i need)

i no longer use seperates, everything goes through my PC.

or my xbox, but i dont really use that anymore.

i have a 5.1 surround sound speaker set up that is acceptable to me. its dated and not the best, but it does the job.

bose life style 4 acoustimass things. forget actual product name, sorry!

i mostly use for movies, but music is also an option i like.

i connect my pc to monitor via hdmi (only one connection on gfx card.) and projector via vga.

i connect my soundcard to my receiver through rca jacks. rgb to red/white. (forgive my ignorance on terminology! sorry)

my soundcard doesnt have optical out.

im happy with the way things were. and havent got lots of money to overhaul the whole system!

i would be prepared to spend about 400, which the onkyo is in richer sounds currently (if that was the best option)

but really want another DB940 i suppose.

there are not any on ebay, currently

what would be a good option, thanks

i dont really need the bells and whistles. do i?

my projector is 3D if that is required for consideration.

thanks for any help.

Modern day AV amps now accommodate HDMI inputs and HDMI can carry both audo and video via the one same cable. All your components appear to have HDMI output? You mention a PJ, but not your TV. Does you TV have an HDMI input? Your PJ must be able to accept an HDMI input if 3D capable?

I'd suggest this amp, the Sony STRDH820. It has many of the features you seem to think you'll not need, but is not that expensive:

Sony STRDH820 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

Modern day AV amps now accommodate HDMI inputs and HDMI can carry both audo and video via the one same cable. All your components appear to have HDMI output? You mention a PJ, but not your TV. Does you TV have an HDMI input? Your PJ must be able to accept an HDMI input if 3D capable?

I'd suggest this amp, the Sony STRDH820. It has many of the features you seem to think you'll not need, but is not that expensive:

Sony STRDH820 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

yes, both pc and xbox have hdmi. (pc only one, it also has a dvi output)

i didnt mention a tv as i dont have one.

technically my monitor is my tv. (its a toshiba regza, but i watch iplayer, sky go. sky box being downstairs in shared lounge. etc as opposed to live broadcasts)

my projector does accept hdmi.

i'm working off what i have now (and my lack of knowledge on the subject!:laugh:), none of my video goes through my receiver. (mostly as it doesnt have hdmi)

if you excuse my ignorance (and possibly not explaining myself well enough), im not sure what advantage i get through having more wires.

my monitor is not set up for surround sound, so thats headphones or built in speakers. its on the other side of the room. (as is my pc)

my main use of audio/video would be the hdmi pc with sound through the tv/monitor.

and then when i want surround sound for watching on big screen, or music.

thanks for the recommendation, that looks like a nice bit of kit and has some good reviews from a quick google.

but do you think i can do better?

thanks for your help

HDMI offers you the best options in terms of both audio and video formats. You didn't mention Blu-ray so assume you do not have a BD player? If you did then HDMI would be the only way to output the HD video associated with Blu-ray titles. HDMI is also the easiest way to access the HD audio formats now commonly associated with Blu-ray titles. The analogue connection you appear to be favouring are the bottom step in terms of quality, HDMI is the penthouse.

Better?

Do you have a max budget? I'd not spend too much with your current speakers. Anything more would be wasted on them.

Last edited:
ok, HDMI much better.

so with only one HDMI out on the pc. and one out on the receiver.

to make sure i understand.

if connect the pc to the receiver through hdmi and then to the monitor through hmdi.

and the PJ (no sound so no problem) as it is dvi to vga.

the sound would play through surround sound when i want and can bypass and play through tv too?

does the sony receiver have to be on to get the signal back to the monitor?

thanks.

ok, HDMI much better.

so with only one HDMI out on the pc. and one out on the receiver.

to make sure i understand.

if connect the pc to the receiver through hdmi and then to the monitor through hmdi.

and the PJ (no sound so no problem) as it is dvi to vga.

the sound would play through surround sound when i want and can bypass and play through tv too?

does the sony receiver have to be on to get the signal back to the monitor?

thanks.

You can pass audio through, but I'd advise not doing so. HDMI determines the destination's capabilities as being the benchmark for what audio can be output if the amp is configured to pass audio through. If using the monitor as a TV then use the amp for all audio duties all of the time and only passthrough video. The PJ, does it have an HDMI input? Buy an HDMI splitter to divide the amp's output between the monitor and your PJ.

i think onkyo nr 515 is a very solid product...
by the way. im a newbie here..planning on building 7.1 system. if i play 5.1 dts hd ma with a 7.1 avr. does it mean it will bitsream in 5.1 dts hd ma and the side speaker will automatically be quiet or i have to manually push a button or set it up first?...

i think onkyo nr 515 is a very solid product...
by the way. im a newbie here..planning on building 7.1 system. if i play 5.1 dts hd ma with a 7.1 avr. does it mean it will bitsream in 5.1 dts hd ma and the side speaker will automatically be quiet or i have to manually push a button or set it up first?...

If only using 5 rather than 7 speakers then a 7.1 amp mixes down the two back channels into the two surround channels. If bitsreaming 5.1 to an AV amp with 7 speakers connected then it would depend on the mode as to which of those speakers are being utilised. If not employing DSP to create faux back channels then only the 5.1 configuration would be employed and no audio would be output via the back speakers.

Last edited:
If only using 5 rather than 7 speakers then a 7.1 amp mixes down the two back channels into the two surround channels. If bitsreaming 5.1 to an AV amp with 7 speakers connected then it would depend on the mode as to which of those speakers are being utilised. If not employing DSP to create faux back channels then only the 5.1 configuration would be employed and no audio would be output via the back speakers.

thank for the explanation..:D im also thinking of getting the onkyo nr515 for my theater room..
also should i use my ps3 to play my blu ray or i need to get a stand alone player to fully utilize the hd audio and everything?..:confused:

The PS3 can do HD audio and a limited 3D. So unless you need the full 3D then there is no need to get a dedicated player.

The PS3 can do HD audio and a limited 3D. So unless you need the full 3D then there is no need to get a dedicated player.

Not sure what you mean by a limited 3D - it is as capable as any other 3D Blu-ray apart from one thing - it can't bitstream Dolby Tru HD when in 3D mode. It can bitstream DTS HD MA when in 3D mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom