Question New AV receiver recommendation

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jontell, Nov 5, 2017.

1. jontell

jontell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I currently have a basic AVR, Yamaha HTR-2064, part of the YHT-196 package.

I have changed the speakers to QA 2010i's for L&R, and a 3090c centre, along with a CA SX-120 sub.
    Rears are still CA min11's, although I mostly use 3.1 set up as they don't tonally match all that well. I want more QA's for the rears but the living room layout doesn't allow it currently.

The main reason I want a new AVR is because I now have a 4k tv, xbox one s, and would like to be able to decode HD audio, and hopefully be able get better sound quality. My blu ray player is the LG BD660.

So my main question is which range of receivers would I need to look at to give me 4k support and better SQ, if at all in my price range at £500ish. Atmos and DTS:X are not so important as I doubt I would ever use it, unless it still plays in 3.1, but DTS HD MA is a must.

Some I have been looking at, Denon AVR-x2400, Marantz 1508, Sony STRDN1080.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    The AVR's that you mention would all suit your needs. A step up though are the outgoing models that are currently heavily discounted, whilst stocks available. I am thinking specifically of the Denon AVR-X3300W and the Marantz SR6011.

3. jontell

jontell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 3300 seems hard to find and the Marantz is a bit more than I would ideally like to spend.

I would like to get one from Richer Sounds as I can trade my current AVR and get a 6 year warranty.

Any other suggestions at all?

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    Peter Tyson may still have some stock of the Denon AVR X3300 at £569. They offer trade in and a 3 year warranty. The replacement 3400 is £849. Looks like Richer Sounds are out of the older models, unless they have them in the individual stores clearance section.

If you want to go for the new models then why not ask Richer Sounds if they will demo them for you, then you can make a more informed choice.