New AV receiver help.

Krisboats

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my onkyo 626 has just started sending only static down the front left speaker. It's quite an old unit now and i've recently made the move to a 55" lg cx oled and bought an xbox series x.

Looking at av receivers to replace the onkyo i'm coming up towards the denon x1700h and 2700h. I know the 1700h is newer but is lower spec and the 2700h is older but luck of the draw getting a new build (post 70001 april manufacture) hdmi 2.1 for 4k/120hz. Was wondering what the consensus was on which to purchase given that they're so close in price.

Speakers are a mix of kef iq and xq series with a bk monolith sub.

Many thanks for any help.

No mention of which speakers with might drive your decision but More power for the X2700H more HDMI 2.1 inputs on the X1700H. Have said that would you ever need more than 1 HDMI input anyway?

Have you swapped cables to make sure it’s not a simple fault there?

Yeah, i tried swapping the speakers around and the noise persists regardless of speaker. I ran a fresh speaker cable from the av receiver to the speaker and it still persists. I even ran an extension lead from another plug socket to try and remove that as a problem and it still does it. Only thing left is the amp :( Just an annoying crackling/hissing noise that comes and goes in volume. It is a 2013 amp though so it's not terribly surprising.

No mention of which speakers with might drive your decision but More power for the X2700H more HDMI 2.1 inputs on the X1700H. Have said that would you ever need more than 1 HDMI input anyway?

Kef iq 30 as fronts and rears and xq50c as a center then monolith sub.

Maybe? Depends if i pick up a ps5 etc down the line. It was more the hdmi outs that i was considering it for. I used to run a lightberry system on the old tv but then never swapped it over. The x1700h would require a splitter that can do 4k/120hz passthrough and the x2700h could run the lightberry itself. I'm also not terribly certain on what the hdmi 2.1 options are atm. Seen a few people mentioning the revised boards in the x2700h dont do the full 48gbps hdmi 2.1 and are instead a smaller bandwidth 24gbps hdmi in. The x1700h is presumably full 48gbps?

No expert here but my understand is you can get 4K120Hz HDR (40 Gbps) working. If this is a deal breaker then I would wait as the hole HDMI 2.1 is a mess and there are question about the standard it's self.

My understand you’re fine for PS5, the latest Denon (x2700) and it’s working without issue up to 120hz. I hear issues with the new Xbox console due to it passing an uncompressed signal whereas the PS5 passes a compressed signal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom