Question New AV receiver for lounge/dining room

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ronski, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +811
    We have a through lounge diner, dining room was completely updated earlier in the year with bi-folds to the garden fitted, currently doing the lounge and hope to have it all finished in time for Christmas.

I've installed two Sonance TL622R speakers in the dining room ceiling and two more in the lounge ceiling. These speakers were left over from my cinema build and this seemed like a great use.

The lounge will have a 5.1.2 speaker set up, which I'm sorry to say I'm just going to use the existing speakers which are Sony MS535. They fit in well, they've been there for a number of years so the wife won't complain, I'd could do without the expense of a new set and frankly the wife/daughters won't appreciate the difference - I have the cinema room :D

I'd like to use all four ceiling speakers when we are playing music, and the Sony's and the two lounge ceiling speakers for Atmos. The system is pretty much used for TV viewing, so any Atmos will be upscaled (if that's the right word).

What options are there at the cheaper end of the market that will cope with the above speaker connections and the way I want to use them?

I'd prefer a system that could handle 4K for future proofing although not essential.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,145
    I'd suggest a 9 channel receiver if wanting a 7 channel 5.1.2 configuration in the main room plus an additional second audio zone. The issue would be that you've then only 2 spare channels of amplification to power the 2 other speakers in the second zone with.

You could buy an Marantz SR6011 that includes 9 channels of integral amplificatio, ATmos and DTS:X as well as support for HDCP 2.2 4K UHD and all current incarnations of HDR. This is one of last year's models so you'd not be paying as much for one as you'd be expected to pay fpr a more current model or its replacement>

Marantz SR6011 AV Receiver

3. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +811
    Thanks @dante01, but not sure what you mean by the above?

I'll either be using 7 channels or 4 channels with a total of 9 speakers, so as long as the receiver has 7 channels of amplication but 9 descrete outputs and can be setup to switch between them hopefully it should work, but this is something I don't have a clue on.

Can they be configured so for music just using the four ceiling speakers in the dining room and lounge , and for tv using the five plus two ceiling speakers in the lounge?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,145

Not all AV receiver switch what the 2 channel are assigned to on the fly. You'd have to permantly configure most 7 channel AV receivers so that the 2 back channels are always reassigned to power the 2 speakers in the other room with. I do believe that some Yamaha receivers do do as you suggest, but many of the other manufacturers do not also impliment this way of reassigning the amps.

No, you have no ability to have just the 4 ceiling speakers used for music. You'd have to use the left and right speakers in the main room for the portrayal of stereo content in that room or if playing the same stereo content in both rooms. You can however have all your speakers output the same stereo source if using a multichannel stereo mode in the main room and engaging the second zone using the same sourrce as that used in the main room. Some receivers also have a party mode that also enables output via all the connected speakers simultaneously.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +811
    Thanks @dante01, when I get chance I'll have to grab the manual and see if I can work out what the options are.

6. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +811
    Well they don't make it easy. According to the following link, I can either set zone 2 to be the active zone, presumably being able to playback whatever audio source, be that HDMI or something else.

Or I can set zone 2 to play back the same as zone 1, but it has to be PCM, which presumably means just the left & right speakers working in zone 1

Playback in ZONE2 (Separate room) SR6011

Clear as mud.