1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AV-PC case - She need never know.... that it's a PC!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by xtian, Mar 11, 2003.

1. xtian

xtian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Finally - well done Stands Unique :clap:
    At last a pc case convincing enough that my other half isn't going to have kittens when it goes in the rack!

I was lucky enough to catch sight of the new AV-PC case from these folks at the Bristol Show. Being highly gadget motivated I couldn't resist the lure of the Blue lit facia... and just had to investigate... and boy am I pleased I did.

I've seen other AV cases on my travels around the web and in the USA - but they all seem to have had the.... I'm just a different shape "pressed steel case" feel about them - and unfortunately none of them would have looked at home alongside my current array of equipment from Proceed, Mark Levinson and family.

This new case, the "Strata" is going to sell for around 250-300 from what the 'main man' - Ray told me.... which considering how substantial it feels and the quality of the finish, it's a bargain.

I went online to show my other half on friday - hoping it would be on their website - unfortunately its nowhere to be found...:nono: so I gave them a call to winge..and they let me have a preliminary link to a page (which is not published anywhere on their site yet)http://www.standsunique.com/strata.html

If your considering anything similar - I seriously recommend you check this out in the flesh. The build quality is something else.. I'm ordering two - 1 to be my CD library (with a newly acquired 400Gb disk - Oh yes!) the other to be my backup DVD (my Proceed PMDT is not without problems - but thats a whole new topic!).

Christian.

PS. Will post a piccie of how the case looks along side the rest of the gear when they arrive.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Christian,

I'm usually very sceptical when someone registers and posts about a wonder product with his 1st post , but I'll give you the benefit of doubt for now.

I have a few issues with the product itself, firstly it's uATX, ideally it would be use full ATX form factor, I can live with this however it looks like it doesn't accept a full size ATX PSU (big mistake). Ventilation looks poor, although a pic from the bottom might reveal more. The cutouts for the PCI slots look too small, cards like the SDI Silk might be near impossible to install.

Looks nice though, but I disagree that it looks nicer than some of the other high-end AV PC cases.

Jeff

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Way too expensive and way too limiting in terms of expansion :thumbsdow

For that amount I'd expect an LCD/VFD display and an IR-Man type IR receiver built-in.

Cheers, Lee

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I really dislike the visible rivets on the front and top.
    The lit cd drawer cover strikes me as overdone and a bit tacky. Must be great fun getting that to fit nicely!

5. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Looks okay, but nothing special. I'm rather happy with my LMP case although its sitting in another country right now (I live in Finland, case is in the UK still..).

I agree with Jeff... I'd rather have a full size ATX mobo.

6. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This case takes micro atx.
    When i was at the show i too had a chat with ray.

with regard to the cooling system the have a contact who can arrange a water cooled system.

as far as expansion goes...pc format magazine recently spoke of micro/pc's becoming more and more desirable and is sure to become the way to go.

The case does feel substantial, 7mm thick i believe,and runs in virtual silence(demo-ed).

standsunique are willing to make component recomendations,
    and are sure to be able to find any needed com upgrade....

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yeh looks pretty cool i guess - But if it's gonna be around the £250+ mark then LMP have definately made another sale. Can't wait to build my new HTPC!

9. adidajnz

adidajnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

10. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    And with a shuttle you get case, mainboard (with more connections than a Maffia mob boss ) and cooling system for about the same price. These so called HTPC case are all very expensive IMHO...:nono: If the suggested case is £250 add mainboard £100 and cooler £35, you do the math.:(