new AV hub :-) - but how to cable ?

jont

Am shortly starting on new extension build project and while i've (well my builders) got the floors up and the concrete slab/underfloor heating being laid I'd like to move all the AV kit out of the alcove in the lounge and into a central 'hub' in the cupboard under the stairs ...

But I'm wondering what's best to do for the cable runs and connectivity ... obviously was going to run ethernet to the new screens but was wondering whether I'm better running pre-made hdmi cables from the hub or CAT 6 and hdmi connections ?

Also need to think about hiding speaker cable runs to the existing B&W/Gallo 7.1 setup ...

And also how to get cable to projector - current hdmi runs up from front alcove and around curtain track ? ... will prob upgrade to 3d proj later so will sling an ethernet in up there for extra connectivity too ...

Then its do I look at some sort of proprietary HD/AV switching connector system or am I better off keeping it old-school standard hdmi/phono/rj45 backplates ?

I've two sky HD boxes and could multi-room or is a central distribution system easier ?

Prob going to add more SONOS and Soundbar to the screen in the new kitchen/dining/snug area so audio will be wireless in there ...

Finally what should I sling in for future-proofing - or how do pull-strings run around corners if I use conduit/channel in the slab floor? !

I've been in happy 'cable denial' :love: for many years but would like to move to hidden cable runs now I've got an opportunity ... Mrs T is very forgiving but an extra few brownie points never hurt - especially if I need to 'upgrade' something as part of the process :smashin:

Simple floor plan attached - kit is as listed in my footer ...

Comments / ideas / experiences all gratefully received

cheers

Jon

Proposed Extension Gnd floor A3 1-50 AV.png

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom