1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AV - HELP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hello, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i'm intend to buy a new AV. I'd like to ear opinions about it.
    My setup is KEF Q5, KFE Q1 AND KEF C.
    The Display is a Pioneer Plasma.
    The DVD is going to be one of this Pioneer 757, Denon 2900 or marantz.

I don't know what kind of Av to look for. it must be excelent in movies and good in stereo.

The budget for AV is about 2500 EUR.

ALL Help Apreciated.

2. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try the marantz 9400 or the pioneer ax10i.
    I think that's columns need an amplfier with power.

3. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kef Q range is pretty good, although I would look around for bargains (the floorstanders have increase quite a bit in price and IMO aren't worth it- build quality is down on previous Q speakers)

I don't think much of the Q centre. Even though a Model 100 Reference is non-matching I think it sounds better. If I had the choice of excellent sounding but non matching or a rubbish sounding but matching centre I would go for the formal. Unless you can find a excellent sounding and matching centre, of course :)

What amp are you using? I would go for something that hasen't got a shrill/lispy top-end because the Q's can be a bit bright when pushed hard.

5. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm using a yamaha but i don't like the sound.
    what valid choices are good for Kef Speakers.
    The music is very important.

Note: the kef are the Q.2 serie (my mistake)

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which model Yamaha? IMO the lower models tend to struggle, I would consider something along the likes of the previous A2 or A1.

IMO Yamaha's sound very dull, flat and lifeless with music. I upgraded from a Yamaha AV amp to a Audiolab 8000S. A massive improvement. Everything sounds better- bass, treble, midrange soundstaging, noise level, little bits of detail.

If music is a prioty I would keep what you have at the moment (if it can drive the centre & rears) and look for a decent stereo integrated amp. Either new or second hand, although you'll be able to get a good quality 2nd hand for less than £500 (and say with a new RRP of £1000)

7. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my yamha model is DSP800. I heard a lot of musical dvd videos.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That Yamaha E800 is just a add-on processor/poweramp (I had the previous version- the E492, and also a Yamaha AV amp) The E492/E800 only has amps for the centre and rears.

What amp you using for the left/right speakers?

9. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have the yamaha 800 (Full model RXV-800)
    i was looking for some avs'.
    Pioneer Ax5i/10i , marantz or onkyo.
    What 's your opionio about it?

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I thought you had the DSP-E800- which is a upgrade solution from a stereo system to a full Pro-Logic/DD/DTS system (plus extra speakers of course)

I doubt any of them AV amps will be fantastic- different maybe, but not "Hi-Fi" if that's what you want. Course they're just have more power with possibly better processing; but they still won't match a decent stereo integrated amp.

Why not borrow a £500 stereo integrated amp from your local hifi dealer? Maybe a Arcam, Rega, Rotel, Nad, Naim, Musical Fidelty, Linn etc.

Try and find a stereo integrated amp that has processor/poweramp input- ie Audiolab 8000S, Tag 60IRV, Arcam Diva 85 etc. This'll bypass the stereo integrated's amp when watching a DVD (so it'll sound better, and you won't need to adjust the stereo amp's volume to match the other speakers)

Here's a link with some more info on how to connect up a stereo integrated amp in a AV system..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67806&highlight=8000s

11. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For space reasons (and wife), i'll prefer only one box.
    There aren't Avs that drive good movie and music.
    NAD, Marantz, onkyo aren't good with music?
    I don't know what to search for.

I plan to use it sacd and dvd- audio.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arcam, Harmon/Kardon, Rotel & NAD are the best AV amps for music. Try and get the HK's with the Logic 7 mode 'cos Logic 7 is fab (although it's a cut-down version from the Lexicon's)

Definitly be better than your Yamaha for music.

[edit] if you plan to have DVD-Audio and SACD check the AV amp has a 5.1 input (most do, except the bottom of the range models)

You'll also need a DVD-Audio/SACD combo player- use 6 phono leads from the DVD player's analogue outputs to the AV amp's 5.1 input. This is for DVD-Audio/SACD only.

Use the digital connection (coaxial 75 ohm) for Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital & dts bitstreams.

13. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's is logic 7?

I was search net for those you indicated, i wiil see the following models.
    Harmon/Kardon 8500
    Rotel 1095
    NAD T762.

Do you think the speakers will be good with those.

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Logic 7 is Lexicon's proprietary processing- it has various incarnations...you select that mode when listening to that type (if you get my drift)

Logic 7 Music (covers 2 channel PCM, 5.1 DD & DTS concerts)
    Logic 7 Film (covers Pro-Logic, DD 5.1 & DTS- for films

There's a few more, but IMO they're the best ones. I don't know if the HK amps have the same as the Lexicon's though.

Don't confuse Logic 7 with the crap soundfields you get with most AV amps (ie Disco, Rock, etc)

All of them AV amp's will have no problems with them Kef speakers, as they're good high current designs.

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it RSX-1065.
    A friend of mine has a marantz and he said its very good with music. Should i take a listan too.