New Av Amp

The AVR-X1700, on paper, looks like it does a lot for the money. You'd ask, for a handful of Watts, why would anyone buy an X2700.

Then, there's this scary bit in the specification for the X2xxx series that isn't there for the X1xxx series, "high grade audio components".

Whether or not that is total monkey faeces who knows? I would love to see them compared, either measurements, subjective or both.

There is certainly an X1700 owner's thread on here full of many people saying how brilliant they think it is.

This. There's not much to gain in spending the extra for the R8a's, when the Q50a's will be more than enough imo.

Again the Denon's are easy enough to set up, but I agree - may not be sonically as good as the Pioneers. I'd recommend a demo (if possible) prior to purchase.
Could get a demo of the Denon 3700, Not many hi fi shops where I am unfortunately . Though I might wait till the new amps are out to see if this one comes down in price a bit.

Could get a demo of the Denon 3700, Not many hi fi shops where I am unfortunately . Though I might wait till the new amps are out to see if this one comes down in price a bit.
The 3700 is currently (imo) the sweet spot in the Denon range. If you ever think you might go full atmos (eg 4 Kef Q50a's - with 2 placed on top of the surrounds as well), then it's the lowest model in the Denon range that can do 5.1.4 out of the box. Here's a comparison between the x1700:

The 3700 also has a better version of Audessey (Room calibration) - which does make a difference imo. Not to mention:

"high grade audio components".
Although as @AEIOU says there's certainly debate on this.

Maybe check out the reviews & owners threads (on here) for the respective models.

The 3700 also has a better version of Audessey (Room calibration) - which does make a difference imo

Hence, why I said about x1700 or x2700 as the same Audyssey.

Agree with all your comments. But the x3700 is also twice as much as an x1700.

Maybe worth adding, the x1700 supports more of the latest HDMI inputs than the x3700.

And they don't just add 8K potential but affect other picture modes that could be of importance in 4K:

1648037693821.png

Hence, why I said about x1700 or x2700 as the same Audyssey.

Agree with all your comments. But the x3700 is also twice as much as an x1700.

Maybe worth adding, the x1700 supports more of the latest HDMI inputs than the x3700.

And they don't just add 8K potential but affect other picture modes that could be of importance in 4K:

View attachment 1671931
Agreed - I only mentioned the 3700 as the OP said he might be able to demo it and that he may wait until the new receivers were released, then see is said 3700 was discounted.

I wonder if the x1700 with its additional number of 8K HDMI is being aimed directly at the gamer market. Eg , those with multiple latest Gen games Consoles (who would obviously benefit from having more of these inputs).

If so,that's a pretty good bit of marketing on Denons' part imo. If you consider gamers will (in general) be more interested in input lag vs improved sound quality etc.

Just my thoughts though!

Agreed - I only mentioned the 3700 as the OP said he might be able to demo it and that he may wait until the new receivers were released, then see is said 3700 was discounted.

I wonder if the x1700 with its additional number of 8K HDMI is being aimed directly at the gamer market. Eg , those with multiple latest Gen games Consoles (who would obviously benefit from having more of these inputs).

If so,that's a pretty good bit of marketing on Denons' part imo. If you consider gamers will (in general) be more interested in input lag vs improved sound quality etc.

Just my thoughts though!

Either that or it was just the product development phasing mean the x1700 was "in time" for 3 inputs. Of course, we all are 90+% that the next gen will all have more of the 8K inputs.

I don't know enough about the formats but it just seems strange you have to use the cleverer HDMI inputs to achieve 4:4:4 at 10 bit or greater. Is that because nothing is really in that format? I need to look at the "information" for video sources more often!

@dante01 please do you know the answer to that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only just saw this. I'm running Kef R100 fronts and an R200c with kef eggs as surrounds, was looking to buy some speakers to sit on top of the fronts to create a 5.1.2 system for atmos.

All sat in the same room, I currently use a beresford speaker switch for the fronts.

I'm wondering if the Denon AV1700 would be ok? or a step back from my pioneer LX52 amp.
I’d be a surprise if the X1700 would have the measure of the LX52

I think you'll need to be looking at a higher performance amp than the X1700 with the R100/200 combination. They are notoriously difficult to drive and the R100 have a (if memory serves me) sensitivity of 85dB. With the X1700 running at full tilt with an energetic soundtrack in 5.1.2 then it could very well run out of puff depending on your room size and listening habits.

Thanks guys, I will forget about 1700 and keep an eye on the price of 3700.

Either that or it was just the product development phasing mean the x1700 was "in time" for 3 inputs. Of course, we all are 90+% that the next gen will all have more of the 8K inputs.

I don't know enough about the formats but it just seems strange you have to use the cleverer HDMI inputs to achieve 4:4:4 at 10 bit or greater. Is that because nothing is really in that format? I need to look at the "information" for video sources more often!

@dante01 please do you know the answer to that?

Hi, sorry @dante01 the reason I find this question interesting is for anyone who has an 8K AVR, is there any point at all in using the 8K ports (e.g. on an AVR-X1700) if the source is 4K at 60Hz or less? I.e. is there anything that is 4:4:4 at 10 bit or greater please?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom