New Av Amp

dibdab

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my Pioneer VSX-LX52, as I'm getting a new 4K tv, so need an amp that supports the latest features looking to spend around 1k or less if there's a slightly older model I can get that's compatible with the latest features.

Using a PC for Netflix and You tube, so looking for one that supports HDR and 4k 60hz.

Have Kef R100 fronts and R200c Centre and will get some atmos speakers to sit on top of the fronts.

Any suggestions?

You can bag a bargain with this, supports 4K up to 60hz, HDR/Dolby vision/HLG and all major sound formats including atmos and DTS:X.

rrp is £2k and from the review here it has the same insides (except amplification) as the high end AVR850:

review:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks, That looks interesting. Looks massive though.

£1000 will get you Denon 370. Latest hdmi is 2.1 most of that is for console gaming 120hz, etc

If you don't need any of that go for hdmi 2.0

Thanks, That looks interesting. Looks massive though.
its standard size as per denon 3700 etc and other AVRs. unless you want a 1u device they are all that size.

Yea, I look at specs and same as my current amp. Need a new cabinet to, they never seem deep enough though.

£1000 will get you Denon 370. Latest hdmi is 2.1 most of that is for console gaming 120hz, etc

If you don't need any of that go for hdmi 2.0
Does this Denon work flawlessly? I noticed a few amps were having issues with the latest HDMI specs, even though i wouldn't need them now I'm sure I will in the future.

As zarf said all tall unless you get marantz slimeline they're all pretty much that rough height.

I don't own Denon avr.

Does this Denon work flawlessly? I noticed a few amps were having issues with the latest HDMI specs, even though i wouldn't need them now I'm sure I will in the future.
to be honest if you want a decent sound for both music and film then Denon won't cut it, only Arcam will give both.

to be honest if you want a decent sound for both music and film then Denon won't cut it, only Arcam will give both.
I'm using a Rega elicit -r for stereo duties so that is not as much of a concern. I'm considering both. Just concerned a little with future proofing at the moment.

I'm using a Rega elicit -r for stereo duties so that is not as much of a concern. I'm considering both. Just concerned a little with future proofing at the moment.
As you are using the (very good) Rega in this way, imo the 3700 is all you need and will be fab on movie duties.

Edit: I currently run a 4500H in tandem with a stereo amp with HT Bypass. The 3700 has all the new 8k abilities and is only marginally down on power vs the 4700. (The current comparison to my 4500).

As you are using the (very good) Rega in this way, imo the 3700 is all you need and will be fab on movie duties.

Edit: I currently run a 4500H in tandem with a stereo amp with HT Bypass. The 3700 has all the new 8k abilities and is only marginally down on power vs the 4700. (The current comparison to my 4500).

negative is theyre usinf lower end dac due to akm fire

negative is theyre usinf lower end dac due to akm fire
Omg - you really will comment on any thread!....

Whilst it's true there was a fire in the akm factory (well documented btw). Plenty of higher end gear use these dacs and would therefore also be affected by said well documented fire! 🤣🤣

Edit: An accidental fire in factory that supplies a number of different industries semiconductor chips, for a number of different products, all of which are in short supply (think new car industry) - Is hardly a negative imo

Last edited:
Ah ok then, you have a good stereo amp there so the Denon would compliment it well.

I've a Denon AVR X4500H which replaced a Yamaha Stereo receiver and the Denon is much better at music than the Yamaha IMO.

I'm actually quite surprised at how good the Denon is for music which I wasn't really expecting.

This is the whole problem with opinions on forums like this. How something sounds is so much attributed to an individual's ears and brain.

But on this forum, a Denon AVR must sound bad and an (e.g.) Arcam or Anthem must sound good.

In the old days, before the internet, I'm sure we all remember going to a hi-fi shop to buy a new amp and they would swap between the ones in your budget (and always added one out of your budget!) so you could listen. And, e.g. when I was 17, my mate adored the sound of his Pioneer A400 I found it far too bright. But that went against what many people liked (and what Whathifi said was the best) :)

This is the whole problem with opinions on forums like this. How something sounds is so much attributed to an individual's ears and brain.

But on this forum, a Denon AVR must sound bad and an (e.g.) Arcam or Anthem must sound good.

In the old days, before the internet, I'm sure we all remember going to a hi-fi shop to buy a new amp and they would swap between the ones in your budget (and always added one out of your budget!) so you could listen. And, e.g. when I was 17, my mate adored the sound of his Pioneer A400 I found it far too bright. But that went against what many people liked (and what Whathifi said was the best) :)

I was going to buy an integrated Stereo amp with a HT by-pass but the Denon sounds that good with music I ended up not bothering.

I've tried it with three different sets of speakers and an SVS Micro 3000 sub which I think is what makes the speakers sound excellent with the Denon.

Personal taste a side you will hear a difference between Denon, Anthem and Arcam. I upgrade from many happy years with Denon and use of an Stereo amp for music. The Arcam AV20 I decided on makes the need for a stereo amp. redundant and offers great sound with Dirac taming the bass.

There are a number amp these days that offer more than the Denon in terms of Stereo performance and room correction.

Further Denon have hiked their prices up and now not necessary the go to amp for AV they once were. Thats not to say their products are not good, they are. I just saying they don't offer the great value for money offering they once did.

@dibdab Can I ask a few questions regarding what might be appropriate for you getting the right system.

As you already own a Rega Elicit R (which has a Direct Input), this means you can use for a HTBYPASS system.

So what speakers are you using and is the stereo going to be in the same room and are you having the cinema surround system located in the same orientation as the stereo speakers are positioned today?

If you do run down the HTBYPASS option, you only need to ensure the AV Receiver can output via front pre-outputs and as most AV Receivers produce a good surround sound ability, this option would mean you don't have to compromise on the musical sound you already own today as nothing on that front would change

Further Denon have hiked their prices up and now not necessary the go to amp for AV they once were. Thats not to say their products are not good, they are. I just saying they don't offer the great value for money offering they once did.

Agree. Thing is, they are (probably) the best EQ system AVR you can get without blowing the dust off the laptop and running Windows update for 4 hours.

If the DIRAC Onkyos and Pioneers, with app EQ, ever reach the UK - I think Denon will know about it!

Sorry, off topic, I'll stop here.

@dibdab Can I ask a few questions regarding what might be appropriate for you getting the right system.

As you already own a Rega Elicit R (which has a Direct Input), this means you can use for a HTBYPASS system.

So what speakers are you using and is the stereo going to be in the same room and are you having the cinema surround system located in the same orientation as the stereo speakers are positioned today?

If you do run down the HTBYPASS option, you only need to ensure the AV Receiver can output via front pre-outputs and as most AV Receivers produce a good surround sound ability, this option would mean you don't have to compromise on the musical sound you already own today as nothing on that front would change
Only just saw this. I'm running Kef R100 fronts and an R200c with kef eggs as surrounds, was looking to buy some speakers to sit on top of the fronts to create a 5.1.2 system for atmos.

All sat in the same room, I currently use a beresford speaker switch for the fronts.

I'm wondering if the Denon AV1700 would be ok? or a step back from my pioneer LX52 amp.

Only just saw this. I'm running Kef R100 fronts and an R200c with kef eggs as surrounds, was looking to buy some speakers to sit on top of the fronts to create a 5.1.2 system for atmos.

All sat in the same room, I currently use a beresford speaker switch for the fronts.

I'm wondering if the Denon AV1700 would be ok? or a step back from my pioneer LX52 amp.

There's these but not cheap (and I personally wouldn't spend £800 on Atmos heights for one pair

No way using wall mount Speakers?

The KEF Q50 would sit on top of the R100s, as would the more expensive R8a. All of the other upfiring modules have a smaller footprint so would easily fit. The could look to purchase a pair of used R50s, again fitting perfectly on top of the R100s. I initially ran R100s with R50s sitting on top when the R50s first came out.

The Denon would obviously give you a maximum 5.1.2 but I don't think, sonically, it's as good as the Pioneer.

The KEF Q50 would sit on top of the R100s, as would the more expensive R8a. All of the other upfiring modules have a smaller footprint so would easily fit. The could look to purchase a pair of used R50s, again fitting perfectly on top of the R100s. I initially ran R100s with R50s sitting on top when the R50s first came out.

The Denon would obviously give you a maximum 5.1.2 but I don't think, sonically, it's as good as the Pioneer.
This. There's not much to gain in spending the extra for the R8a's, when the Q50a's will be more than enough imo.

Again the Denon's are easy enough to set up, but I agree - may not be sonically as good as the Pioneers. I'd recommend a demo (if possible) prior to purchase.

There's these but not cheap (and I personally wouldn't spend £800 on Atmos heights for one pair

No way using wall mount Speakers?

I'm trying to avoid wall mount speakers as I'm living in a flat and want to minimise noise to the neighbours upstairs.

I'll take a look at the Q50s they seem more in my price range and will keep an eye out for the R50s.

This upgrade of a tv is costing to much lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom