• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New AV amp help £1500 budget

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

I'm ready to upgrade, currently I have a Denon AVR-1905 with a Rotel RA-02 used as a "power" amp the fronts.

I'm wanting to do away with that and just get one decent upto date av amp.

I'm confused between the different setup programs all the new ones have with people talking about audysee? Etc I don't know what's best or what difference is.

I have £1500 to spend and local dealer has a PIONEER SCLX86 3D that is 1799 but with a trade in scrapage deal with my old worthless one works out £1450 is that any good?
Should I look at another Denon or a onyko?

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
Ok I can get Arcam FMJ AVR400 for that money with the trade in deal too.

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
Looking at the specs on websites doesn't tell me much like can you have different covers for front centre and rears ? What automatic microphone setup thing they use etc

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What speakers do you have? if it is a local shop then go and listen to the different options and see which sounds best to you. Specs mean nothing, it is how they sound to you that matters.

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
I'm planning on changing speakers too, possibly the b&w cm series 5.1 except the woofer because Im currently doing a diy project

Jameskatie

Distinguished Member
I understand its how it sounds to me and I will get a demo but I need a shortlist to try and a rundown on the features and what they offer

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Anthem has its own calibration system which is supposed to be very good. Arcam will give you very good musical ability. Pioneer also has its own calibration system while Denon/Onkyo use Audessey. Which is better will depend on your room and personal taste. They all try to achieve the same thing but will have slightly different ways to do it.

martin 39

I have gone from a pioneer with a roksan powering the fronts with b&w speaker package old 602s2 etc . Have changed to the arcam and they have never sounded so good for music or film

Mr S

Standard Member
Also you dont have to give in your amp from what I have been told. I.e. you can trade in some spare headphones at some places and they will accept that but depends on the shop

mtenga

Distinguished Member

lersince1991

Go for an Arcam (avr400?) hands down with the B&w 6 series or cm series they will be perfection!

I've got an old arcam a22 with B&w 6 series and it is amazing with both film and music beyond belief. I'm thinkin of going for something a bit more modern like the avr400 but can't afford to spend that much on an amp at this point!

Go listen in the shop to this and buy there and then ;)

jaishankar

If you are looking at Arcam 400 and if it was my money I would be looking at a second hand deal. There are a couple in the classified section here as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom