1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new av amp and surround speakers advice wanted

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by billcar, Oct 28, 2003.

1. billcar

billcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i want good, decent quality surround sound for films (also to be used for music) in a smallish/medium sized room, i need an amp and surround sound set of speakers

i need speakers, I have looked at Gale HT405.1 and Mordaunt Short Premier System, does anyone have any advice or experience on these? I am completely unsure as to who makes a good surround sound package in the £300 range, any advice or help? Gale, Mordaunt Short, Eltax or perhaps even B&W are in my range?

fyi i was looking at a decent amp with about 100 wpc e.g. Yamaha HTR5640, Sony STRDB780 or the Teac AG5D (i.e. spending £250 tops)

any help much appreciated, thanks

tom
    brighton, uk

2. hddvdman

hddvdman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    somethere over there but not near here, there
    Ratings:
    +155
    check out ebay it has my denon av 3802 in gold oni t

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Check out the Marantz SR4300 or 5300 Richer Sounds may have them cheap at the moment.

What ever you do don’t buy an amp just because it looks like it has a lot of Watts on paper it means nothing.

4. billcar

billcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aaaargh :confused: , what do you mean pwiles? how do i know how powerful the amp is likely to be then?

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    billcar - most manufacturers will only provide power outputs for their amps with two channels driven at a time, and usually under beneficial criteria like 6 ohm impedence loads and high levels of THD.

With budget end kit, it's always the case that when an amp's driving five or more channels, the Manufacturer's power ratings collapse.

My Denon 1803 for example, delivers almost 110w/c in Stereo, but collapses to 45w/c when driving all five channels at the same time.

This isn't to say that no budget amps will go loud - they certainately will - but don't take everything you read in Magazines, Shops & on Manufacturer's Websites at face value.

If you're looking for a budget amplifier that best retains its power outputs with all channels driven, I'd recommend Marantz & Harmon Kardon amplifiers.

As for speakers, Mordaunt Short tend to make speakers with low sensitivies & low nominal impedences, which budget amps don't usually cope to well with. I imagine amplifiers like the aforementioned Marantz, Hardmon Kardon & the Sony STRDB780 you mention should cope adequately, as they can deal with 4 Ohm Loads.

If I were you I wouldn't buy the Gale speakers.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you can stretch to it then the Marrantz SR4300 works well with premiere system from MS. RS should be able to sort you out with this setup for your budget. there are loads of threads on the gear you are looking some recent ones by rainbow6 and calders i think have a search and see what advice has already been given.