1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new av amp and surround speakers advice wanted

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by billcar, Oct 28, 2003.

1. billcar

billcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i want good, decent quality surround sound for films (also to be used for music) in a smallish/medium sized room

i need an amp and surround sound set of speakers, i was looking at the Yamaha HTR5640, Sony STRDB780 or the Teac AG5D (i.e. spending £250 tops), any advice on if these are any good?

any help much appreciated, thanks

tom
    brighton, uk

2. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Tom,

If you do a search on the site for the Yamaha HTR5640DRS / RXV440 you will find loads of info on that and the Marantz SR5300. Both are considered to be the best 6.1 receivers at that price range. I have spent nearly a month searching these forums and the internet in the lead up to my first Home Cinema purchase. I suggest you do the same :)

Cheers

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I can vouch for the SR5300 being a good for music and movies. Worth a listen. Apparently Richer Sounds are doing them cheap at the moment, look at the 4300 also.

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    4300 sounds really sweet in cinema and music, with plenty of power for small/medium room, with CSII mode which I use for all 2 channel sounds in films and music, and in gold it looks exclusive.

Sony 780 has been replaced with 790 which can be had for £228 (from empiredirect), and it is a very good amp.

Denon's new 1604 (should be a belter if we look at 1803's sucess) for £230 (from empiredirect) is also a serious contender I reckon. Every speaker package is different, and Denon has a really valuable added bonus of cross over bass management which is very useful when you adjust the frequency where you want the sub to take over the low frequency signals.

Onkyo not so known in UK, but around the world regarded as a highly regarded av/hifi brand. Their SR-TX501E has been raved by UK and German mags ( http://www.onkyo.net/uk/cms/products/home/av_rec/TX-SR501E/indtip.htm ) and now the price has gone down from £270 to just £221, and that is a cracking price. It also has the crossover bass management, and component inputs and a really good cinema equaliser filter + all the usual goodies.

"It really impressed the testers in the laboratory: being able to deliver 5x119 watt into 4 ohms is an amazing feature for this price category." (it has 6x85w but in lab tests they use 5channels)

Obviously don't forget the Yamaha 5640 which you suggested, which is a very good amp too.

If I had to buy an budget amp today, I would plump the Onkyo, despite no one here has bought it.

Wasabi,

5. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasabi,
    Just curious. How important is this feature? I am possibly interested in KEF egg speakers, and I've heard that they work best with the crossover set to 100-120 HZ or whatever. I've been looking at the Yamaha 640 Amp or receiver, the Marantz 4400/5400, or the Pioneer 812/912. Do any of these have this feature, if it's important?
    Also, I know the Yamaha's have A/B speaker switches. Do the others - so I could run speakers out into another room if I wanted? Am wanting to stay under the £400 price point, if possible.
    Cheers,
    Jim

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Technics SADX950/1050 have the A B switch for extra speaker (stereo) in another room.

7. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Totally agree with the Onkyo TXR501, onkyo have been very quite for some time and it now appears they are coming back wit avengence

Neil

8. billcar

billcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies, especially Wasabi's crossover info, much appreciated.
    The Onkyo TXSR501E seems good, I'll look into it. Otherwise may just plump for the safe and simple Yamaha HTR5640DRS / RXV440 (I fnd that too much research and fretting over detail can nullify the fun of it all).