New Audio / Video setup

bozotheclown

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am in the position where I am starting a self-build house, and I want to incorporate TVs and audio in many rooms that will come from a central position within the house.

I have trawled through this site, but cannot find any links to sites that could show house wiring designs.

There will be cat5/6 going to every room, but not sure if if i need HDMI cabling. Also unsure on IR control via these systems. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dean

The basic rule of thumb is a minimum of 3 cat6 and 1 or 2 coaxes to each tv point.

Then an additional pair of cat6's to another location in the room.

Speakers are a bit more specific, where they wire to will depend on the type of music system you want or can afford, it is possible to wire a generic scheme, but this is where a specific design would need to be done with a local installer.

HDMI is a nightmare to manage and for that reason all true installers would run CAT6 cables on longer runs and only on shorter runs (ie within a room) would HDMI cables be run. But even then I would add a pair of Cat6 cables as back up.

Also, depending on your time scales, get up to the Home Building & Renovating Show in March, plenty of knowledge and ideas there to fit all budgets. We certainly have an excellent time up there.

V.

Thanks for the reply.

Why would you need more cat 6 to another part of the room? Also, would the cat 6 go back to a central point where you would have a patch panel and switched liked to say the AV receiver and a sky+ box?

Ta

The additional cat6's are for network or telephone points. Because when the screens are on the wall you won't be able to get to those at the tv point.

You could also use these additional points as a local inject point for a DVD or even amusic player.

Hth

V.

Vex, just seen the bottom of your posts, I haven't laughed so hard in ages thanks :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom