New Audi Q7?

Gadget Daddy

Novice Member
Hiya,
I think it was called the Q7:confused: , saw one yesterday on the roads around my house, it certainly had the WOW factor looked awesome and MASSIVE, what sort price range are these going for?, certainly made a change from all the R rover sports that are normally around our estate.

Pete
 

Drd

Well-known Member
And Audi advertise it with a slogan something along the lines of 'with the qualities of an SUV,but the lines of a sports coupe'.

SPORTS COUPE!!!!!!!!!!!
I've seen smaller,more lithe jumbo-jets:rotfl:

From £37.5k
 

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
When it was first announced I loved the pictures, now I've seen it in the flesh I think it is absolutely hideous. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I really don't get the Q7...It doesn't look butch enough for an SUV, it looks like a large estate to me with a nose (grill) that someone would have surgically reduced if they had it on their face.....Though I understand it to be very capable both off and on-road....

Is it based upon the platform of the Toureque and Cayenne? If so be in for an enormous disappointed in boot size for such a large vehicle....Our Maclaren Techno XT stroller doesn't even fit in the boot sideways or lengthways which to me totally defies the purpose of such a large vehicle...
 

Kebabhead

Novice Member
They had this on Sky One's Vroom Vroom programme on tuesday night when they got a school kid to parallel park it using its onboard computer to help the kid park the car
 

Kazman

Well-known Member
Too big for the UK in my opinion. Doesn't look too bad, but it's just too large. The Mercedes G class jeep is another big car, no point in the UK, contender.
 

Radiohead

Well-known Member
Good to see yet another manufacturer coming out with a me-too product that's almost entirely irrelevant to modern road and traffic conditions.
 

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Radiohead said:
Good to see yet another manufacturer coming out with a me-too product that's almost entirely irrelevant to modern road and traffic conditions.
It's aimed at the stepford wives market :)
 

Gadget Daddy

Novice Member
its was MASSIVE certainly looked to big for everyday use can just imagine the 5.0" mums trying to park one of these beasts on the school run or at Sainsburys.

I thought it looked great with my fleeting glance, I defo thought WTF is this when I seen it coming towards me, even turned the Mrs head.

Pete
 

Ian J

Banned
Kebabhead said:
They had this on Sky One's Vroom Vroom programme on tuesday night when they got a school kid to parallel park it using its onboard computer to help the kid park the car
The car comes with reversing cameras as well as parktronic sensors and Vroom Vroom were trying to demonstrate that despite it's size it was so easy to drive that a schoolkid could do it.
 

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Ian J said:
The car comes with reversing cameras as well as parktronic sensors and Vroom Vroom were trying to demonstrate that despite it's size it was so easy to drive that a schoolkid could do it.
I coudn't care less if a monkey from a zoo could park it, it still a hideous car alongside the Porsche Cayanne primarily aimed at those with more money than sense.
 

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Too big!? In my opinion a car is never big enough. We previously had a Patrol which together with the Amazon was the biggest excluding an H1 Hummer, now downsized to a Murano looks deceptively small but is actually longer and wider than an X5...And really miss the space we had in the Patrol....Two adults, two child seats, stroller, baby gear, travel cot, steriliser and the car is full..We had to buy a roof-box to have some storage space to bring back the wine from Italy...Nope a car can't be big enough in my opinion....
 

Kazman

Well-known Member
dejongj said:
Too big!? In my opinion a car is never big enough. We previously had a Patrol which together with the Amazon was the biggest excluding an H1 Hummer, now downsized to a Murano looks deceptively small but is actually longer and wider than an X5...And really miss the space we had in the Patrol....Two adults, two child seats, stroller, baby gear, travel cot, steriliser and the car is full..We had to buy a roof-box to have some storage space to bring back the wine from Italy...Nope a car can't be big enough in my opinion....
But surely a large estate car would have provided much more carrying capacity?

Saab 9-5 estate and Merc E-Class spring to mind, so does the Audi A6 avant. And we haven't even mentioned Volvos yet :).

Boot space in most 4x4's is pitiful when compared to a decent sized estate car.
 

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Kazman said:
But surely a large estate car would have provided much more carrying capacity?

Saab 9-5 estate and Merc E-Class spring to mind, so does the Audi A6 avant. And we haven't even mentioned Volvos yet :).

Boot space in most 4x4's is pitiful when compared to a decent sized estate car.
Not necessarily, but could be possible....None of those come close to a Patrol or Amazon though from a luggage carrying perspective....Definitely not when taking cubic measurements...Anywhich way they are still big cars aren't they which is the point I was making.....Also in footprint on the road the cars you are making are similar to larger 4x4's...That's why I don't get what people have against 4x4's and when they say they are not suited for the UK....There are lots of cars which have a similar if not bigger footprint.....
 

Kazman

Well-known Member
dejongj said:
Not necessarily, but could be possible....None of those come close to a Patrol or Amazon though from a luggage carrying perspective....Definitely not when taking cubic measurements...Anywhich way they are still big cars aren't they which is the point I was making.....Also in footprint on the road the cars you are making are similar to larger 4x4's...That's why I don't get what people have against 4x4's and when they say they are not suited for the UK....There are lots of cars which have a similar if not bigger footprint.....
Got nothing against 4x4's personally. If our roads were the same size as those in the States or the richer Middle East nations then wouldn't care less. But the Q7 and new G Class are a size too far for the roads in the UK, I dread to think what damage to parked cars a couple of those 4x4s could do on a few tight side streets in central London for example.

And as far as total carrying capacity goes, boot sizes in 4x4's are woeful compared to an estate. Total cubic capacity with the rear seats folded down may be closer, but I still think an estate would be more spacious, and you still get the enjoyment of a good, decent drive, instead of a wallowy barge ;)
 

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Kazman said:
Got nothing against 4x4's personally. If our roads were the same size as those in the States or the richer Middle East nations then wouldn't care less. But the Q7 and new G Class are a size too far for the roads in the UK, I dread to think what damage to parked cars a couple of those 4x4s could do on a few tight side streets in central London for example.
But the footprint is no larger than lets say a Merc S-class, or a Ford Transit, etc....

kazman said:
but I still think an estate would be more spacious, and you still get the enjoyment of a good, decent drive, instead of a wallowy barge ;)
:D Thinking is all you do indeed, as you obviously have not been in a modern SUV....
 

Kazman

Well-known Member
dejongj said:
But the footprint is no larger than lets say a Merc S-class, or a Ford Transit, etc....
Don't remember the Merc S Class coming in an estate :) And also don't remember mentioning it in my shortlist.


:D Thinking is all you do indeed, as you obviously have not been in a modern SUV....
Errr.....drove a Range Rover V8 while in Dubai, also had a Land Cruiser Prado for a while too (doubt that is available here). Driven a Mitsubishi Shogun, BMW X3 and X5, previous gen Merc M Class and even had a ride in a new Lexus RX400h (man that thing is eerily quiet when the electric motor is on).

We hired a BMW X5 on one trip out to dubai, it couldn't hold our luggage while driving between cities, so we had 'downgrade' to an Audi A6 saloon which swallowed everything easily.....and this was the saloon!! :eek:

I've also had a Saab 93 Sport Wagon quite recently, and a Vauxhall Signum in my posession a couple of years ago, and both those cars were a) more fun to drive than any of the big 4x4's (although that BMW X3 was very impressive for an SUV, handled pretty well) and b) could hold much more gear to lug around than any of the SUV's I've mentioned above when carrying people as well.

You may get more loadspace in an SUV if you lower the seats when compared to some estate cars, but then you'd have to leave the baby seats at home.....kinda defeats the object doesn't it? :suicide:

But, each to their own I guess, if it is just an image thing, I can understand, that is a far more plausible reason to own an SUV over an estate. But when people go waving the whole practicality thing, it's almost like they are trying to justify their purchase. One shouldn't need to.

Anyway, this isn;t directed at all SUV's, as I know some luxury cars DO have a larger footprint, but that Q7 (and the new Merc G-Class mentioned earlier) are taking things to a whole new level, and really don't suit the type of roads we have in the UK.

All just my opinion of course. And it's ok to admit to buying an SUV purely for image......or perhaps a balance of image and practicality, but to base the purchase on practicality alone is a bit.....how shall I say........wrong? ;) :)
 

rags

Well-known Member
I think the Q7 is fantastic. I was very close to buying one for the wife before sense prevailed and I picked up a smaller and cheaper 1 year old SUV.

It looks great outside and the interior is beautifuly made. You will have to drop £47-50k to get a decent spec one though.
 

rags

Well-known Member
Just to add - only my wife has driven one as part of a brief test drive. However the whole family was driven around Paris over 3 days last week in one and it was extremely accomodating.
 

Andy Leitch

Active Member
If you have two or three passengers and use the Q7 to tow a horsebox or a caravan....it's actually illegal. As it breaks the 3.5t weight limit and should be fitted with a tachograph. And at 6' 5" wide, just an inch inside the width limit for private cars.
 

Ian J

Banned
Radiohead said:
Good to see yet another manufacturer coming out with a me-too product that's almost entirely irrelevant to modern road and traffic conditions.
That argument would rule out all cars manufactured by Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche etc and in fact anything that can go above 70mph
 

Radiohead

Well-known Member
Ian J said:
That argument would rule out all cars manufactured by Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche etc and in fact anything that can go above 70mph
Quite probably - but to say that would be to interpret my comment in the strictest sense and I think we both know that wasn't the intention.

I was simply pointing out that yet another HUGE, sub-20mpg, SUV wannabe probably isn't the direction that car manufacturers should be going if they want to avoid be legislated against.
 

Kazman

Well-known Member
rags said:
I think the Q7 is fantastic. I was very close to buying one for the wife before sense prevailed and I picked up a smaller and cheaper 1 year old SUV.

It looks great outside and the interior is beautifuly made. You will have to drop £47-50k to get a decent spec one though.
I don't doubt for a minute that it is a great car....just bloody massive :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mind you, would be fun trying to watch a mum trying to navigate Londons inner city streets in one :)
 

rags

Well-known Member
Kazman said:
I don't doubt for a minute that it is a great car....just bloody massive :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mind you, would be fun trying to watch a mum trying to navigate Londons inner city streets in one :)
Not in central london but my wife (who is a mum) drove it pretty competently around the suburbs. It is big without a doubt however I am not sure how much bigger it is than a RR Sport or a Cayenne - maybe I am wrong and I certainly havent made the direct comparison but I don't feel there will be much in it?
 

Ian J

Banned
All this talk of size is interesting as it doesn't seem that anyone has actually looked at the stats to see exactly how big the Q7 is.

According to the measurements given on the What Car site the Q7 is 16.7' long and 6.5' wide. That makes it a foor longer than the Cayene but it's actually narrower than the Porsche offereing by 0.77'

A more interesting comparison is with the Jaguar XJ saloon which has been around for donky's years as the Audi Q7 is actually the same length as the Jaguar although it is six inches wider. The Jag is only a 4/5 seater though whilst the Audi will take 7 in comfort
 

Radiohead

Well-known Member
All fair points, but none of them make the Q7 any more relevant to modern road conditions. 14mpg for the urban cycle, and that's claimed, so more like 12mpg in real-life from the petrol versions? That's ludicrous and, IMO, pretty inexcusable for a car that'll spend most of its life in towns.

Instead of making pointless units like the Q7 let's see some genuine innovation from these makers. The A2 was a step in the right direction, so obviously they discontinue that....
 

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Kazman said:
I don't doubt for a minute that it is a great car....just bloody massive :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mind you, would be fun trying to watch a mum trying to navigate Londons inner city streets in one :)
Probably not your intention, but that is a quite a sexist and offensive remark, my wife who is a mum as well is absolutely brilliant at driving our big car (Patrol previously now a Murano).....

Anyway this shouldn't be about 4x4's and mum's if it is about English roads...Then you need to ban lorries and van's as well....But also a VW Passat, we were parked next to one and I was surprised how long and wide it is......
 

Kazman

Well-known Member
dejongj said:
Probably not your intention, but that is a quite a sexist and offensive remark, my wife who is a mum as well is absolutely brilliant at driving our big car (Patrol previously now a Murano).....

Anyway this shouldn't be about 4x4's and mum's if it is about English roads...Then you need to ban lorries and van's as well....But also a VW Passat, we were parked next to one and I was surprised how long and wide it is......
No sexism intended, I was merely referring to many members of our beloved better halves who have to do the inner city school run (and yes, this can easily involve guys as well).

Away from city centres, or towns with larger roads, the Q7 is quite acceptable in my opinion (as long as the individual(s) driving them are able to stomach the social stigma and fuel consumption), but unfortunately, most UK roads on where these cars will be driven are far from suitable.

And this view is aimed towards not only the Q7, but any large car, the Phantom and Maybach's spring to mind, as well as Audi A8's and BMW 7 series cars. Great cars in their own right, but for most UK roads (bar motorways), unsuitable.
 

Kazman

Well-known Member
Ian J said:
All this talk of size is interesting as it doesn't seem that anyone has actually looked at the stats to see exactly how big the Q7 is.

According to the measurements given on the What Car site the Q7 is 16.7' long and 6.5' wide. That makes it a foor longer than the Cayene but it's actually narrower than the Porsche offereing by 0.77'

A more interesting comparison is with the Jaguar XJ saloon which has been around for donky's years as the Audi Q7 is actually the same length as the Jaguar although it is six inches wider. The Jag is only a 4/5 seater though whilst the Audi will take 7 in comfort
The Cayenne is not a car, it is the spawn of satan with those looks :) Very quick mind, and admirable for it's performance :). But man is it ugly :) (no offence to current owners :) )
 

Similar threads

Trending threads

Latest news

What is Contrast Modulation?
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Samsung applies for Q-Symphony trademark for TVs and soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Hi-Fi Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Ed Selley
  • Published
McIntosh releases DA2 Digital Audio Module Upgrade Kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky TV offers cheaper Sky Q box with updated features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Latest threads

Top Bottom