New Atmos soundbar or old Sony 5.1 HTIB???

richgoga

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

Just after some advice…

I’m about to move into a new house, replacing my 55 C9 with a 65 C1 and considering upgrading my old 5.1 system too.

I don’t want to be too disruptive in the new house, so any upgrade needs to have wireless surround and sub.

I’m currently using a 2009 Sony HT-SS360 which uses a STR-KS360 5.1 receiver which supports Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio over PCM from the blu ray player, but only basic 5.1 Dolby or DTS from my C9 via optical as the receiver doesn’t support ARC or eARC.

I’m considering buying a LG SN11RG or Samsung Q950A Atmos soundbar with wireless rears and subwoofer.

Just wondering on everyone’s thoughts… is an old “proper” 5.1 system going to compare to a new soundbar?

New room is 15x13ft, fully enclosed, so sound reflection won’t be an issue.

doughnut

Standard Member
Mate.
I went from an old 5.1 Panasonic dolby digital system a month ago and really didn't expect much of an improvement on what I already had.

I bought the q950t and realised out the box that I had been listening to noise for years. Not actual sound. If that makes any sense.

I could not have been more blown away by the difference.

I smile on a daily basis by the rears surprising me with a random object behind me.

The sky q UHD football when the stadium announces over the tannoy for added time or a substitute is just mental.

I have watched films I would never of even given a thought to. Watching just because of the atmos.

So yes. I think the difference may possibly be night and day.

doughnut

Standard Member
Lots of convincing for the q950a.

Less convincing for the q950t

I placed my tv on the wall and explained that a sound bar would be a more suitable option. Simple.

Bolho

Quality for movies q950a its better then an onkyo 5.1.2?
I think we are in the same ballpark. I was also wondering if I get the 950a which is a high-end soundbar or a low-end HTiB solution like the Onkyo S5910 for $1070. Both cost the same but I never heard any of them. Tbf I don't think it's possible to hear without finding someone who owns these systems here, so it will be a blind buy.

I know it's hard to beat physical speakers but I know that soundbars are evolving quite fast while home theater solutions are already good. Thinking about upgradability, the Onkyo is better but only if you can sell the speakers alone to upgrade later.

Eyesnears

I think we are in the same ballpark. I was also wondering if I get the 950a which is a high-end soundbar or a low-end HTiB solution like the Onkyo S5910 for $1070. Both cost the same but I never heard any of them. Tbf I don't think it's possible to hear without finding someone who owns these systems here, so it will be a blind buy.

I know it's hard to beat physical speakers but I know that soundbars are evolving quite fast while home theater solutions are already good. Thinking about upgradability, the Onkyo is better but only if you can sell the speakers alone to upgrade later.
Flagship sound bara are superb. I have a q950a and love it.

However the wider sound stage of the rear speakers versus the soundbar itself, makes me more keen to buy a multi speaker system in the future.

If you can fit a receiver in your media unit and will wall mount rear speakers for a soundbar, you might as well buy a compact multi speaker system.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom