New Asus dual band router RT-AC66u

Kamin99

Just been reading on the new Asus RT-AC66u dual band router 1750mb released few weeks ago and was wondering if any one has it up and running and can give me an idea of its actual throughput over the 2.4 and 5GHZ I'm planning to get one to replace my Netgear 3700 which is giving me a very weak signal after i started using the DD-WRT firmware
Many thanks

mickevh

Distinguished Member
...my Netgear 3700 which is giving me a very weak signal after i started using the DD-WRT firmware
Have you considered fixing that by re-installing an "official" Netgear firmware...? That will cost you nothing.

Beware of comparisons "someone else" gives you of wi-fi performance. Unless "they" have an RF isolated test suite, the results will to some extent be comparing apples and oranges because your wi-fi locale (noise floor, interference from neighbours, client types & numbers, etc. etc.) is different to everyone elses.

I don't have one, but the spec of the Netgear looks pretty decent. I wouldn't be junking it because of a wi-fi coverage problem. Wi-fi output is limited by law and most kit is already at or close to the max. "More signal from the router" is not the universal omni-fix for wi-fi coverage issues, not least because it doesn't do anything about the signals transmitted from the client device which would also need to be boosted. The best way to fix wi-fi coverage problems is to put in additional output Access Points cabled back to your router (either with "proper" network cables or tunnelled over the mains using Homeplugs) to fill in the holes.

Last edited:

Kamin99

Many thanks mickevh for this reply and explanation, I actually tried many times to revert to the original Netgear firmware using a cable connection and a mac and Windows Pc with no success it always report failure to update within few seconds.

currently I'm receiving 120mb/ 9Mb internet via cable and all i get wirelessly upstairs is 5 mb instead of a 60mb i used to get using the original Netgear firmware, it was a mistake updating to DD-WRT firmware!

so I'm taking the chance to go for a router with external antenna that can be upgraded if needed with a higher gain like the Asus .

Have you considered fixing that by re-installing an "official" Netgear firmware...? That will cost you nothing.

Beware of comparisons "someone else" gives you of wi-fi performance. Unless "they" have an RF isolated test suite, the results will to some extent be comparing apples and oranges because your wi-fi locale (noise floor, interference from neighbours, client types & numbers, etc. etc.) is different to everyone elses.

I don't have one, but the spec of the Netgear looks pretty decent. I wouldn't be junking it because of a wi-fi coverage problem. Wi-fi output is limited by law and most kit is already at or close to the max. "More signal from the router" is not the universal omni-fix for wi-fi coverage issues, not least because it doesn't do anything about the signals transmitted from the client device which would also need to be boosted. The best way to fix wi-fi coverage problems is to put in additional output Access Points cabled back to your router (either with "proper" network cables or tunnelled over the mains using Homeplugs) to fill in the holes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom