New Arcam Software Updates

just to clarify crusty before i do my dv139

their is only one iso file for all models "DVD_Solo_Movie_Upgrade.iso"

just want to check

many thanks for the update

Yes, that iso file will create a disc that can be used to update all the current DVD players as well as the Solo Movie products.

crusty can I upgrade straight to 2.7 on my Movie Solo 5.1 or do I have to upgrade in incremental steps i.e. 1.6-1.7-1.8 etc?

Thanks.

Hi Crusty,
I'm going to give a software upgrade a try to my 139 tonight. Current version is 4.12

To bring the software completely up to date have I got to install each of the upgrades one at a time or simply install only the newest firmaware.

Many thanks,
Darron

When I installed the 5.05 upgrade on my DV139 I followed the instructions saying to wait for the drawer to close, or wait 5 minutes.

The drawer on my player did not close and after waiting a bit I saw a new message on the display, saying something like "Update done. Restart" (sorry I don't remember all of it)

I suppose that meant that it would be possible to restart the player at that point even though 5 minutes had not passed, but since this was not mentioned in the update instructions I still waited 5 minutes just to be sure.

I checked the readme file for 5.06 but this text was not mentioned, and since I have not yet done the upgrade myself I don't know if this is displayed also with 5.06.

Has anyone else seen this when upgrading to 5.06 (or 5.05)?

On upgrading my DV137 to both 5.05 and 5.06, I saw a similar effect - the upgrade started, the disc ejected a minute or so later, the display flashed a pattern of ">>>>>" signs for a minute or so, and then it showed a message about "Done Pwr Down" or words to that effect. The latest firmware does not seem to close the drawer at the end of the process, contrary to what the instructions say.

Yea, my DV137 did the same thing as well. I also chose to wait the 5 min after it said it was done. Better to be safe than to be the proud new owner of a $2000 brick.

I have done this on a few machines now and just powered them down when indicated to do so by the message on the front display. I have had no problems so far.

Arcam have just released software version 5.06 for the DV135, DV137 and DV139. The have also released software version 2.7 for the Solo movie 2.1 and 5.1.

Thanks for that Crusty. Just out of interest, do you know if Arcam dealers automatically get sent new software update discs, or does it only happen if they have a customer requesting an update?

:)

All dealers should have access to a dealers only section of the Arcam website which has all the latest firmware updates available to download from. This is where I get all my files from. they can then create their own discs in store from the downloads. The files are the same as I provide on my own webspace for forum members to access, so even if the dealer does not have login detais for the dealer extranet site they can still download the files from my links on the forums here.

On upgrading my DV137 to both 5.05 and 5.06, I saw a similar effect - the upgrade started, the disc ejected a minute or so later, the display flashed a pattern of ">>>>>" signs for a minute or so, and then it showed a message about "Done Pwr Down" or words to that effect. The latest firmware does not seem to close the drawer at the end of the process, contrary to what the instructions say.

This was updated in 4.12: The software will now load, the disc will eject and you will get the >>>>>> for a period of time (during the >>>>> the SW is being applied to the player). When you get the on-display message to power down it is safe to do so. You do not have to wait the 5 minutes as you did prior to 4.12. The drawer will not close. I just power cycle the unit and the drawer will close on power-on. I then confirm that the SW version has been updated.

I've done about a dozen customer units so far and I've done both my 139s with no problem.

Dealers normally don't get notifed of updates unless we have an open issue that a SW update will rectify. One of the advantages of being a member of this Forum is the ticklers that new SW is available. Generally, when I log into the dealer extranet I check for new software when I'm fishing for brochures, manuals, codes etc...

Thanks for the heads up on that guys. I was hoping somebody would try it before I did. I figured Arcam would not put the message in there unless it really was done loading, but again I like to follow instructions as much as possible and error on the side of caution. Can't thank you enough Crusty for deciding to provide those updates to us all.

Could someone do me the honour of explaining the update process without using one computer phrase such as "iso files" . Why do Arcam not advise customers of the update availability and make the discs available by post or a self explanatory download from their site. I am reasonably intelligent but get annoyed when assumptions are made about peoples computer literacy. Plain English please. Dismounts from hobby horse!

Why do Arcam not advise customers of the update availability and make the discs available by post or a self explanatory download from their site. I am reasonably intelligent but get annoyed when assumptions are made about peoples computer literacy. Plain English please. Dismounts from hobby horse!

Arcam do not advise customers of the updates as the updates are not supposed to be carried out by the customers. It is the dealer's responsbility to perform any updates and advise any existing customers of their availability.

For exactly this same reason they do not not supply discs or explain the update procedure on their website, the updates are only supposed to be carried out by authorised dealers as far as Arcam are concerned. I have taken the time to make these update available for forum members who have the required level of computer literacy required and take personal responsibility for carrying out the updates correctly. You have no right to grumble about Arcam's assumptions about people's computer literacy as the updates were never designed to to be supplied to the public in the first place.

I have taken the time to make the files available to forum members to are quite happy to carry out the updates themselves and have the required level of computer literacy to do all that is necessary with the ISO files. If you are having difficulty with any aspects of doing it then you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Go to your dealer, that is what they are there for.

I think I have every right to complain, as I took the trouble to travel more than a hundred miles to demo and buy my Arcam set up from a dealer as it was impossible to order via the internet and I have no dealers closer who would demo. Therefore unless I pay a lot of money to send my devices back via courier or drive to the dealers and lose their use until the updates are done, I am unable to update them. I seem to remember something in Arcam's advertising about being informed about updates. Surely in this day and age it cant be that difficult to send out a disc designed to plug and play updates into electronic devices or even better via the internet. In these days of expensive fuel and trying to reduce emissions it seems stupid to have to transport very heavy objects large distances for software updates.
I have no gripes at all about the quality of the sound produced by my Arcam set up.

I think I have every right to complain, as I took the trouble to travel more than a hundred miles to demo and buy my Arcam set up from a dealer as it was impossible to order via the internet and I have no dealers closer who would demo. Therefore unless I pay a lot of money to send my devices back via courier or drive to the dealers and lose their use until the updates are done, I am unable to update them. I seem to remember something in Arcam's advertising about being informed about updates. Surely in this day and age it cant be that difficult to send out a disc designed to plug and play updates into electronic devices or even better via the internet. In these days of expensive fuel and trying to reduce emissions it seems stupid to have to transport very heavy objects large distances for software updates.
I have no gripes at all about the quality of the sound produced by my Arcam set up.

As Crusty so eloquently stated in a nutshell "upgrades are for the dealers to do".

In the last year I have had two customers completely stuff their Arcam pieces by doing "self-service" upgrades that they didn't get from us. As a result they had expensive repair bills on those pieces. They knew enough to be dangerous but not enough to pull off a successful upgrade. Of course, they immediately blamed Arcam: I had to give them an "expectation adjustment". It was really THEIR fault for doing their own upgrades.

The dealer is best suited to perform these upgrades on all the Arcam line: they know how to create the discs, how to apply the upgrades (and what precautions need to be taken for the upgrade), and testing the units after upgrade to confirm proper operation. I provide this service free of charge to customers who have bought from us and the upgrades can usually be carried out in about 15 minutes or while the customer is browsing....it's part of the "service" that comes from having a relationship with a local dealer.

As far as I am concerned a software patch is the same as opening the box for repair: it is something that the unit cannot function without and must be installed and tested properly.

I would suggest contacting your local dealer and finding out what his "upgrade" policies are. You may be surprised....

Absolutely spot on Joe. It is and always has been Arcam's policy for any updates to be carried out by the dealer. The files I have made available on here are for those people who wish to carry out the updates at their own risk. Equally these updates are supplied by me on the basis that you know exactly what to do with them and the associated ISO files.

Perhaps if you give your dealer a call he would be able to make up a disc for you and post it to you. Again this would require you to apply the update at your own risk. I have done this for several cusotmers of mine, but I have just as many that are willing to bring their kit into me to get updates every now and again. I also have some customers who live fairly locally and I can quite often arrange to pop round to their place on the way home and do the updates for them.

Besides if you don't know what an ISO file is, then you probably don't know what a PDF file is. The PDF being the instruction file NEEDS to be read BEFORE the upgrade. If you power the machine off at the wrong time or interrupt (power outage, bump the cord, ETC) the process, you are now the proud own of a very expensive brick.

Even if somebody who knows what they are doing provides you a perfectly functioning disc. It is still possible for an inexperienced user to mess up the upgrade process because they have not handled the files and would never have seen the instruction file. "If you don't know the dangers, don't tread the water." Always a good way to live life.

Even if they are available you can't force everybody to read the instructions. This is why files are not public, period. People waste Crusty's time every day with stuff in the instruction file that many don't read. And if people screw things up they will always take the blame off themselves, "how could they expect me to know that" (I will be bold and admit I have done this in the past too) or "I think I have every right to complain, as I took the trouble to travel more than a hundred miles to demo and buy my Arcam set up." My question is how is this Arcam's fault? That is why you ask for a deal on the gear. If the dealer is not local they may not see you often or ever so post sale support is less or you can view it as an offset of travel costs. Either way you accepted the deal when you got the gear you are just lucky you have not had to go there up till now. We all dropped $$$$ on this stuff and we all get the same rights, Arcam is not just shafting only you by not providing this update. If it works fine then just leave it alone. Thanks agin Crusty for deciding to provied updates. As for Computer questions try www.GOOGLE.com not a home theater fourm.

Thanks guys for your help, some useful some a bit insulting but I am thick skinned. I DO know what a PDF file is and I CAN read...all I was asking for was a simpler fool proof solution to updates which would save dealers time in having to do it themselves. It could be designed into the product and made user friendly...I cant see anything that is revolutionary in my request. I have updated the software on my built in car computer satnav system successfully several times. I may be able to find out what an iso file is on the internet, but would rather spend the time loading in a foolproof update . If Sony can do it via the net on the PS3 then future generations of Arcam products should have the function as standard ( I think!)
I live in the Lake District which is not known for its Arcam Dealer network ,and actually bought from Creative Audio in Shrewsbury after an excellent demo which showed my catalogue based choice of a Yamaha amp to be the wrong one after a demo, so I bought from them . I bought over six thousand pounds worth of gear from them even though I could have left after the demo and got the stuff (maybe cheaper?) elsewhere. I decided that they had been so good at recommending items that I didnt do that and am happy with my decision.
To stop my ramblings here I will get in touch with them and ask whether they can send me the updates.
Thanks again for your advice which has been very useful.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom