1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Arcam CD player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MikeE, Mar 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. MikeE

MikeE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, did anyone here visit Arcam at the recent Bristol show. I noticed on their site that they launched a new FMJ CD33 cd player. Did they let on how much this is expected to be and whether it replaces the CD23 or is an additional model?

I've been planning on getting a CD23 for long while now and just as my old player packs up and I have the perfect excuse to save for one, I'm worried it may be about to be discontinued or replaced by something even better (hard to believe IMHO having heard the CD23 a few times now).

Any info or opinions would be apprieciated. Also did they announce a price for the new T31 tuner at the show as I'm also interested in that.

Many thanks,

2. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aha,
    I just started another thread about CD93 . . .

It is probably mostly marketing aspect , all this with new models all the time, but if I am buying something I still want to consider all options.

3. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read that short pdf on Arcam site about the player . . .Well it seems Arcam is going new direction, upsampling, no ring dac, instead of it wolfson, analog devices and burr brown toys - all in one device.
    Interesting I can well imagine some will like it, but I do not think it is everyone's thing.
    I also spotted Mr. Dawson browsing this forum last night but giving no answer, so I guess it all needs some time, It might be too early to know more yet.

In the meantime I will try to find acceptable price on (maybe used or ex demo) CD23T.

Regards
    Garincha

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You can read about the CD33 at this url: http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/FMJCD33flier.pdf

It will be shipping in a few days with a suggested UK retail price of £1299. You can expect a DiVA version, called the CD93, in mid April at £949.

The reason we developed these is because DAC technology has moved on since we licenced the original Ring DAC system back in the mid to late 1990s. In particular Wolfson's WM8740 DAC behaves in a very similar way to the DCS topolgy we previously used. We felt that with a number of these devices combined in differential mode, plus a modern dedicated sample rate converter and appropriate output circuitry, that we could at last surpass what we had achieved with the Ring DAC circuitry in the CD23T and CD92T models.

Having heard the final production version of the CD33 I can confrim that this is true. It's an awesome CD player!

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Dawson wrote:
    Previously!
    No RingDAC anymore?
    Please tell me I am wrong!
    Only players I liked more were those silly-priced sets (I have one of those - I am sick AV person - I admit), and maybe Accuphase DP55

6. MikeE

MikeE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks as always for the replies John.

Just a couple of questions. Does the CD33 decode HDCD's, (the flyer doesn't mention it) and have you decided on a price for the new T31 tuner yet.

Many thanks.

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Garincha -

The point I am trying to make is that certain modern DAC chips now have very similar multi bit sigma delta decoding topologies to the DCS Ring DAC. Many that try to do this have significant flaws but the Wolfson part doesn't. We have carefully implemented four of these (i.e. 8 individual DACs) in the CD33 and if you check the player out you will see that it builds on the strengths of the CD23 series and in a number of ways improves on them.

The design does not support HDCD for the very practical reason that Pacific Microsonics' PMD100 and subsequent PMD200 parts have both been discontinued by the new owner Microsoft without any replacement. Welcome to the wonderful world of semiconductor parts obsolesence! As it would have massively complicated the new player to attempt to include HDCD on a separate DSP and it only benefits a very limited number of CDs, we don't think it is much of a loss.

Mike -

The T31 is provisionally scheduled at £450. I expect us to firm this up in the next few days.

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

8. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I'm rather sad to hear of the passing of the RingDAC based Arcam CD players. I still haven't heard anything which I prefer to my CD23 (at any price). I did briefly listen to the CD33 ay the Bristol show. However, conditions were such that it was impossible to draw any meaningful conclusions.

My personal opinion is that that the CD23 will come to be seen as a 'classic' player.

Regards,

Jules.