New Arcam CD player?

mcguiganp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone heard any rumours of a new Arcam Cd player on the way? Just asking because it seems ages since they released a new player. I'm saving like mad to upgrade my Cd72 to a CD192 but if there was a new player coming out I might be tempted to wait and see what it was like.

Cheers all. :smashin:

I take it the resounding silence means no-one has heard anything. Aw well, CD192 it is then :smashin:

I don't know what their future release schedule is, but the CD36 -- Arcam's flagship FMJ player -- was released something like a year ago, and in the past they have tended to update their models only every couple of years or so.

I haven't heard this myself, but have heard from others that the DV139 sounds better than CD192 on analog out (perhaps Crusty or Liam have heard the comparison). If that is the case, Arcam may expend an even greater effort towards universal players rather than CD-only machines.

Me too!
Very interested in comparisons
of the DV139 versus CD192 or CD36,
for CD playback.

Cheers guys! A comparison between the 139 and the 192 would be interesting.

I have compared the Dv139 in CD direct mode with both the CD192 and the CD36.

The DV139 is quite clearly a superior player to the CD192, better timing, imaging and soundstage. More detailed sounding.

Versus the CD36 it is a much closer call. The CD36 still has the slight edge in the bass regions, it sounds tighter and more focused.

However, now that I am in the process of ripping all my CDs onto a HDD in Apple Lossless format and plan on streaming them via a Sonos system and through a Musical Fidelity X-DACv8 I may consider selling my CD36 in the near future and keeping only the DV139 for occasional playback of actual shiny discs.

Cheers Crusty, this DV139 seems to be getting a really good press. I listened to the DV137's CD performance and was not overly impressed. Arcam must have really upped their game with this beast.

I too have ripped my cd collection in wav format to hdd, and would consider playing it back through an external dac. Would you recommend your music fidelity? Would this outperform the 192/139?

... now that I am in the process of ripping all my CDs onto a HDD in Apple Lossless format and plan on streaming them via a Sonos system and through a Musical Fidelity X-DACv8 ...

Can anyone direct me to the area of AV Forums for
discussion of subjects similar to the above?
I've searched to no avail.
I'm doing just the same as Crusty above,
but have yet to decide on a DAC, etc.

Thanks!

.... I am in the process of ripping all my CDs onto a HDD in Apple Lossless format and plan on streaming them via a Sonos system and through a Musical Fidelity X-DACv8....

Crustyloafer, before you commit to the X-DAC I have come across this thread on the Sonos Forum you may care to have a read of, may not be an issue but worth being aware of if you aren't already

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=4189

Cheers

Crustyloafer, before you commit to the X-DAC I have come across this thread on the Sonos Forum you may care to have a read of, may not be an issue but worth being aware of if you aren't already

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=4189

Cheers

Thanks for that very interesting link. I should point out that it is likely to be the new MF X-DAC v8 that I will be getting and not the v3 that appears to have the problems. I am also a dealer for both MF and Sonos and will therefore have plenty of opportunity to test the combination out before committing to a purchase.

Me too!
Very interested in comparisons
of the DV139 versus CD192 or CD36,
for CD playback.

I acquired a DV139 in December and have been incredibly impressed with its abilities, particularly in the audio arena. A few weeks ago a mate of mine brought his CD36 round and we were able to spend a few interesting hours comparing them for CD playback. Frankly the difference is almost inperceptable, the CD 36 does perhaps extract a tad more detail but it is a very close call and I found it a little harsh to listen to, at least to my ears. However, that said, the real question is would I be prepared to spend almost as much again on a dedicated CD player ? Frankly no. The fact that Crustyloafer has put his own CD36 up for sale should tell you enough. With the DV139 Arcam have produced a near miracle universal player of astonishing abilities which also represents real value for money given the superlative peformance of the machine in both audio and video terms. The DV139 is probably going to be the last DVD/CD player I ever buy until the new HD format thing has wound its course. If you haven't yet; doubt not, trust your wallet/instincts and get one. Today !

I acquired a DV139 in December and have been incredibly impressed with its abilities, particularly in the audio arena. A few weeks ago a mate of mine brought his CD36 round and we were able to spend a few interesting hours comparing them for CD playback. Frankly the difference is almost inperceptable, the CD 36 does perhaps extract a tad more detail but it is a very close call and I found it a little harsh to listen to, at least to my ears. However, that said, the real question is would I be prepared to spend almost as much again on a dedicated CD player ? Frankly no. The fact that Crustyloafer has put his own CD36 up for sale should tell you enough. With the DV139 Arcam have produced a near miracle universal player of astonishing abilities which also represents real value for money given the superlative peformance of the machine in both audio and video terms. The DV139 is probably going to be the last DVD/CD player I ever buy until the new HD format thing has wound its course. If you haven't yet; doubt not, trust your wallet/instincts and get one. Today !

No no no no no!!!! Don't tell me it's that good, Must resist temptation :devil:

The fact that Crustyloafer has put his own CD36 up for sale should tell you enough.

For what it's worth, what Crustyloafer actually said is that he is replacing his CD36 with a music server and standalone DAC (with the DV139 in reserve for occasional disc spinning).

I currently have both players in my system (my CD36 and a demo DV139). I haven't quite made up my mind yet, but so far I'm thinking that while the DV139 would be great for occasional redbook use, I'm not entirely sure that I'd want to jettison the CD36 for regular listening.

Obviously if you need a good DVD player and you don't want to own two boxes or cost is an issue, then you have no choice...

Try audiogon.com and avsforum.com for good discussions on these subjects.

Thanks Charlie. I learned a lot from both forums.

Crusty, others ... has anyone heard the v8?

My local dealer here in the US called today to tell
me that she received an email from MF today
announcing that the v8 just dropped in price by $600! :)
Unfortunately she's unable to 'floor' any of the new
X series. Just like she's unable to 'floor' MA Golds.
The next nearest dealer for either is over 2 hours away,
and they also will only place an order for a v8, not
commit to a demo unit.
I understand, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

My plan is to set up a dedicated iMac, v8,
and on to my C13, P1s, and MA GS 20s.
I think my CD36 is for sale soon too.
That is, if the v8/Mac set up is at least 90% as
pleasing as the CD36.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom