New Arcam Blu Ray player coming out in next few months?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Sab, Dec 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I was talking to a dealer in London and he thinks that a new Arcam player will come out in the next few months. I am not sure if he was right as some other dealers did not know this.

The BDP100 has only been out just over a year.

Any one know of any new Arcam player coming out soon?

2. robase007

robase007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yes, There will be a replacement.Anyone with a Bdp100, they will swap out for free as compensation for the amount issues we had with the player.I believe it should be out in Feb.

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Swap out for free? Really? Thats a horrific loss for them if true but great service to their customers.

I've just moved my entire system to my new home today. If it can better the DV139 I may be interested :)

4. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Is this true or do you have a very dry sense of humour ???

i have a bdp 100 which i have had for 3mths when it works properly its great(ish)

5. brahms

brahms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If only!

6. Wag

Wag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Even if it is true.....add 18 months to the scheduled release date. That seems to be the going rate for how much Arcam release dates slip by.

Mmmmm.... August 2013.... Starts to sound plausible...

7. robase007

robase007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The BDP100 has issues with certain disc,king Kong,Inception, Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows. They are unable to release software to resolve these issues.So they have gone back to what they know best. Building the unit in house as well the components.
    It will come with 3D and also different menu system and the latest software to overcome any issues with disc being played.

8. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Does that mean it will have design and reliability like the AVR600 etc ? :rolleyes:

Avi

9. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i have just experienced my first disc problem with cowboys and aliens (wont resume from pause)

if it wont play harry potter then i will be returning it for a full refund especially if its a known issue and they cant/wont issue software fixes.

10. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Matt from Arcam Customer Service has confirmed that the new player will be 3D compatible as well as having video streaming facilities. He said that this will be 100% new Arcam custom design.

The cost of the upgrade for present BDP100 owners will be upto £500 ( ouch!) but the cost obviously cannot be confirmed as it is too early. A Februrary release is likely.

They promise DVD playback as good as the DV139 but we will see ...

The BDP100 has its flaws but for picture and audio nothing comes close at its price point.

11. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Er....well my DV139 was £600 new and wiped the floor with the BDP100 for DVD (especially) and CD. But, if it can beat that plus put a natural BD picture in like the PS3, Oppo's and my Yamaha I can get shut of two players.

12. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    they had better sort out their first player or make a concession for a upgrade path

13. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    they had better sort out their first player or make a concession for a upgrade path

14. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    If it costs current owners around 500 why would they take that risk again, it seems crazy considering the money they already put in, they could get an Oppo 93 for that and that would work ;) In fact if they sold the BDP-100 they would be quids in.

Seriously why don't they just take an Oppo 95, stick it in an Arcam case and charge 300 more for it as lets face it that would pretty much be what people would like and they would probably sell bucket loads. Ok it's not exactly the Arcam way but it would be better than a buggy player that they constantly get back with issues.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  15. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    I'd be vary wary of claimed Arcam "in house" video design given their recent track record. IIRC Anthem have also shelved their Blu-ray model that shared the same primary Broadcom digital solution to the Arcam.

Things have moved on in terms of video price performance since the days of the Arcam DVD 137, 139 etc players and my guess is Arcam will struggle in this area unless they mess with the image.

That said it will be interesting to objectively assess the performance of the new product.

Avi

16. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    just been told that indeed febuary release ,3d ,video streaming , in house gubbins , and a generous upgrade option for bdp100 owners

might even play blurays

17. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wonder if this means a new chip-set instead of broadcom based solution?

18. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    That may depend if the player offers universal media support and Arcam's other design goals. Ideally being in a position to provide options that appeal to users that want reference level video output and also those that want an "enhanced image look" would be the best bet. Unlike the BD100 that only offers the later. If they plan to offer top draw PAL film DVD performance they will also probably need to implement a post processor to compete with existing products in terms of cadence performance.

My guess is Arcam will want to disassociate themselves with the BD100 platform as much as possible. They would also probably want a SoC provider that can properly support Blu-ray updates quickly as it's unlikely Arcam will do this in house.

Avi

19. BobbyMac

BobbyMac
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    How much is the generous "upgrade" option?

20. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    It will be interesting to see if the initial MRSP is set to allow for a generous trade in plus typical dealer discounting.

Avi

21. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I still thinking some sort of streaming ability for video and music would be useful for the future (via wired/ wireless networks via home NAS or cloud based storage and usb) as there are few audiophile solutions for such yet. The direction certainly appears to be moving increasingly this way and it looks like other manufacturers are starting to look towards this direction. The question is however whether this is incorporated within a bluray platform or a separate unit.

Personally I think when the likes of oppo/ Cambridge audio, and Primare offer such in their players individuals will pause when features are missing unless performance is completely unparallelled, however cost will also play a factor (primare probably is too high for the current market)- too high and many buyers would be out of the market.

On the other hand a separate unit could enable costs to be cut and possibly at the right price point enable several devices be used in the same house however would individuals then also invest in a BluRay player in the first place? Both are also a possibility

If I had a choice of an ARCAM bluray player with the ability to stream audio + media anywhere up to the 1.5k mark I would love to jump at it (for me however I would need analogue outputs).

22. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I still thinking some sort of streaming ability for video and music would be useful for the future (via wired/ wireless networks via home NAS or cloud based storage and usb) as there are few audiophile solutions for such yet. The direction certainly appears to be moving increasingly this way and it looks like other manufacturers are starting to look towards this direction. The question is however whether this is incorporated within a bluray platform or a separate unit.

Personally I think when the likes of oppo/ Cambridge audio, and Primare offer such in their players individuals will pause when features are missing unless performance is completely unparallelled, however cost will also play a factor (primare probably is too high for the current market)- too high and many buyers would be out of the market.

On the other hand a separate unit could enable costs to be cut and possibly at the right price point enable several devices be used in the same house however would individuals then also invest in a BluRay player in the first place? Both are also a possibility

If I had a choice of an ARCAM bluray player with the ability to stream audio + media anywhere up to the 1.5k mark I would love to jump at it (for me however I would need analogue outputs).

23. PenguinHiFi

PenguinHiFi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi,

As far as I am concerned, I decided to go for an Oppo BDP-93 NFE after I saw the Arcam Blu-Ray player did lack the multi-channel analog outputs... which is, to me, an aberration for a Hi-Fi manufacturer !
    What can I say ?
    I can't regret my decision.

The Oppo plays everything I feed it with (BRD, DVD-A, SACD, CD...), it's loaded with features (networked streaming of audio and video files, support for alms every possible format, support of UBS keys, USB disk drives...) and is pretty easy to configure !
    Of course the question is : "How does it play it ?". Well, considering it's price, the quality is simply stunning. The BRD image is about the best I've ever seen (nothing to compare with my previous Panasonic and Sony BRD players). Soundtrack is of really enjoyable quality.
    It betters the DV139 in SACD playback. And is on par with the DV139 for DVD-A playback.
    The DV139 betters the Oppo in CD playback, wut even there, only with a short distance. But for CD I have my CD23T !
    The only realm where the DV139 is unsurpassed is the DVD video playback. But of course, loaded with the ABT interleaving and upscaling, will something best ever be built ? And that's the only reason I keep my DV139. But I guess it will soon be listed on some "Classifieds".

Why am I saying all this ? Because in February I will have some money again and so will probably consider changing the BDP-93 NFE for a BDP-95. Of course, if Arcam comes out with something that isn't as ugly as the BDP-1000, that has at least the analog outputs, offers the same DVD playback as the DV139, that is of high quality for BRD playback and offers streaming abilities, or at least the ability to read files from an external hard-drive, I might consider it... if, of course, it offers decent SACD and DVD-A playback !

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

24. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    ABT falls behind some other processors with film cadence on PAL and aggressive scaling that creates or exaggerates halo artefacts. This can be more of an issue as screen size increases. :(

I spent over a year as an ABT beta tester for their video processing products. PAL performance could be optimized using ABT's forced 2:2 odd or even manual modes but there's aren't implemented in the Arcam.

Hope they don't go down the ABT now Silicon Image video processor with any new player.

Avi

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  25. jowi

jowi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Now that would be a killer... a 3D bluray player with Dune or Popcornhour like streaming/mediaplayer possibilities... oh boy would it be great if they could incorporate the first, actual hi-end mediaplayer that will play EVERYTHING (including bluray iso's and folders!!!) together with a hi-end 3D blurayplayer...

... keep dreaming :D

26. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i love to dream....... Interestingly DUNE are bringing something out http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/09/05/hdi-dune-announces-dune-hd-pro/ however I am sure we, who love the ARCAM voice would rather see an ARCAM one

Dreams .......
    Lounge set up, pioneer kuro display, audio working AV888 with 6xP1 (or new mono blocks from ARCAM) for front duties and a multichannel for surrounds, DV139 for dvd duties, all singing arcam bluray with hi end mediaplayer possibilites for the rst. Other rooms, small ARCAM media players which could be connected to my old avr300 in one room or other smaller 2 channel amps in other rooms via a wired/ wireless network, feeds from a NAS......... Oh yes and the wife buy it me.....

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  27. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    The dune HD pro was my first thought too, it pretty much does exactly that. Having said that, i think the Oppo 95 is a better bet though its media streaming functionality is less impressive due to it not supporting .iso over the network only with a directly connected drive.

I swapped my 139 out for an Oppo 95 and have had no regrets, in fact it's one of the few products that I have bought that has not had any real issues, something of a rarity these days.

28. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was thinking about going the same way too Canti, as good as the dune hd pro may be and as good as its dacs may be it is the some of the parts and the end sound that matters. I am however not in a rush (although too long a wait and things will move on again), now there is a new Arcam blurray coming let us see what they have done....

29. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I kind of hope for their own sake that they can pull something off that works as well as competitors products and has proper analogue outputs with the cd playback that we have all come to expect.

30. stratosboy

stratosboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

I like the design of my AVR600 and reliability wise it has been faultless since new for the past 2 years + :)