New Arcam AVR's

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure I have read about this problem before. The point, however, is: should it be reported to Arcam, so that they can work to solve it in a future firmware update, or is the problem already in the list of those they have to solve?

I beg your pardon, but I don't think I have understood correctly here. Is it normal that it does not work via the remote control, while it works via the web interface? Because if it does not work in either way it could also be a "normal" choice of Arcam (even if still illogical: why not allow the use of a Dirac filter created specifically for use together with the crossovers set in the AVR?) , but as I said the only thing not working in this case is the Audio button of the remote. From the web interface you can easily set all three Dirac filters loaded into the AVR...
Ettore
Yeah, I’ve never understood this one. Sometimes the remote will cycle through all filters and OFF. Sometimes the remote will only cycle through the current filter and OFF. And sometimes the remote will switch the Filter OFF but cannot switch it back ON again. In all cases the web interface works well.

Note the above observation was with older firmware. I have not spent enough time with recent firmware’s to know if this problem still exists or not.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I noticed, so I can confirm that it also happens with the latest firmware. However, with some specific tests, I realized that this is not a problem that occurs randomly: it happens only when you change some setting of the Speakers menu with respect to the settings set at the time of running Dirac (for example the crossover, or the filter slope). Once the initial settings are restored, the remote control works perfectly again to activate/deactivate all Dirac filters.
Ettore

Hi guys, when the arcam is protected, what is it due to? Arcam does not declare real power and has more power than Japanese avr? In my previous arcam it was protected if it went from 70 in the volume and today it has returned to protect me to 75 in the volume ... what is happening? Is it protected so as not to damage my speakers or is it that it doesn't have enough power? This protection is scratching me a lot because then why do you buy a powerful 3k avr to be limited? My boxes are 8ohm 86db and 100w rms monitor, where is the problem? My experience with this av is coming to an end and look, I'm in love with the sound but neither my 7013,8500h nor nad t778 presented this problem ... any advice?

Hi guys, when the arcam is protected, what is it due to? Arcam does not declare real power and has more power than Japanese avr? In my previous arcam it was protected if it went from 70 in the volume and today it has returned to protect me to 75 in the volume ... what is happening? Is it protected so as not to damage my speakers or is it that it doesn't have enough power? This protection is scratching me a lot because then why do you buy a powerful 3k avr to be limited? My boxes are 8ohm 86db and 100w rms monitor, where is the problem? My experience with this av is coming to an end and look, I'm in love with the sound but neither my 7013,8500h nor nad t778 presented this problem ... any advice?
I think it is to protect it from overheating. Does it do the same thing is Dirac is switched off?

I think it is to protect it from overheating. Does it do the same thing is Dirac is switched off?
Hello overheating? And where is arcam fame? This has never happened to me with any avr and I have had several if this is normal for God to come down and explain it to me because if we pay for a more powerful avr a priori it is to take advantage of that extra power advantage! I have not tried without dirac since the one who buys these avr is for the advantage of dirac!

There is an option for the protect Mode, try it out

There is an option for the protect Mode, try it out
I have noticed that the speaker cones move a lot, is this normal since I have them in small and 80hz? The default protection mode is high and there are two more options: medium and low!

Hello overheating? And where is arcam fame? This has never happened to me with any avr and I have had several if this is normal for God to come down and explain it to me because if we pay for a more powerful avr a priori it is to take advantage of that extra power advantage! I have not tried without dirac since the one who buys these avr is for the advantage of dirac!
If it doesn't go into protection mode when Dirac is not enabled, it could be that Dirac is causing the protection mode, by applying too many boosts. Adjusting the dirac filter may fix the issue. But we need to know if it is Dirac first. So, play the same thing at the same volume with Dirac switched off, and if the protection mode doesn't get enacted then you might be on to something!

your speakers configuration looks correct to me for 5.1.4 , that is if your atmos speakers are normal tradtional speakers that are installed in/on the ceiling/over head.
channel 15/16 got nothing to do whether the speakers type is dolby enabled or not, they can be assigned as middle height/CH&TS/subs.
Thanks for your feedback. Cheers.

If it doesn't go into protection mode when Dirac is not enabled, it could be that Dirac is causing the protection mode, by applying too many boosts. Adjusting the dirac filter may fix the issue. But we need to know if it is Dirac first. So, play the same thing at the same volume with Dirac switched off, and if the protection mode doesn't get enacted then you might be on to something!

How do you see this? My room is very screwed up, is it very small, any advice?

How do you see this? My room is very screwed up, is it very small, any advice?

Try this test

Do not turn it up loud, there is no need to do that. Just listen to see if any frequencies sound as if they being "forced" and/or distorted. I've found it useful for hearing anything that doesn't sound right in the bass.

@anteranz there are some big nulls there, it is possible that Dirac is trying to boost those frequencies too much and it is out of the capability of the power amps to achieve that boost.

If you get no shutdowns with Dirac switched off, you can try manually altering the correction curve so that the curve follows the nulls more closely.

Although, if your unit is well ventilated changing the protection mode from high to medium might also help.

@anteranz there are some big nulls there, it is possible that Dirac is trying to boost those frequencies too much and it is out of the capability of the power amps to achieve that boost.

If you get no shutdowns with Dirac switched off, you can try manually altering the correction curve so that the curve follows the nulls more closely.

Although, if your unit is well ventilated changing the protection mode from high to medium might also help.
It may be but it would be shameful that an avr20 could not with 5 8ohm monitors is intolerable at these prices! It has not happened to me neither with avr of € 1000 ... nor with xt32 that is presumed to be worse than dirac ... I do not know where the error is is the second unit that presents the same blackout if it happens again I will forget arcam and that I love the sound but at these prices I can't stand this.

It may be but it would be shameful that an avr20 could not with 5 8ohm monitors is intolerable at these prices! It has not happened to me neither with avr of € 1000 ... nor with xt32 that is presumed to be worse than dirac ... I do not know where the error is is the second unit that presents the same blackout if it happens again I will forget arcam and that I love the sound but at these prices I can't stand this.
If the big nulls and Dirac is the issue then the cause of it is your room, tweaking Dirac to get it right for your room is a fairly easy fix.

If the big nulls and Dirac is the issue then the cause of it is your room, tweaking Dirac to get it right for your room is a fairly easy fix.
How would it be done to adjust dirac? I am a novice with dirac..but I doubt that is the problem since I know people who have harman + 6 / + 8 curves without problems of this type and that requires more current, right? Arcam and its amplifiers are too famous for this to happen in a 9m2 room, and believe me I loved the sound of the arcam but something is happening and I sent an email to arcam two weeks ago without getting a response.

How would it be done to adjust dirac? I am a novice with dirac..but I doubt that is the problem since I know people who have harman + 6 / + 8 curves without problems of this type and that requires more current, right? Arcam and its amplifiers are too famous for this to happen in a 9m2 room, and believe me I loved the sound of the arcam but something is happening and I sent an email to arcam two weeks ago without getting a response.
From your pictures it looks like one of your nulls is around 17db, which is a lot! Dirac has automatically reduced it to around 10db, but you could manually adjust it some more, if that is what is causing the problem. We need to do a bit more investigation first.

Do you know what you were listening to and at what volume when the shutdown occurred?

From your pictures it looks like one of your nulls is around 17db, which is a lot! Dirac has automatically reduced it to around 10db, but you could manually adjust it some more, if that is what is causing the problem. We need to do a bit more investigation first.

Do you know what you were listening to and at what volume when the shutdown occurred?
Hi rambles I was watching the fallout scene when he is chased through the streets of Rome when he is riding his motorcycle and I set the volume to 75db in the master volume as I wanted to test how far this arcam pushed!

If you have big nulls no eq system can fix that ! Eq system will cut some peaks will make nulls not so deep. But it can’t keep cutting or what it does is compress the sound so no dynamics left and can sound lifeless. Also keep in mind if now with a 10db null how much power that needs for a fix. For 3db you need to double power requirements....10db needs 10 times power requirement ! See below for reading

Main reason most eq systems don’t try boost nulls ! The rule of thumb is cut don’t boost :)

If Dirac is trying to boost a 7db let alone 10 or 17db null be not surprised if protection mode kicks in ! Avrs have limitations ! I wouldn’t even be trying to boost a dedicated power amp that much

That said explore reasons of protection mode ... often possible theres a speaker short, power supply issue - maybe mains or ventilation or lack there off causing overheat ? And yes over driven could be reason too...which can lead to protection mode or overheat that leads to protection mode.... that’s what protection mode is

Best way to fix nulls is location location. Location. Location of speakers within room, location of main listening position, location of subwoofer/S

If sitting middle of the room that’s ideal place to be for a null. No eq system can fix that null !

Last edited:
@anteranz Unless things have changed, Dirac can only boost 10dB and as @Rambles has said you have some nulls a lot more than 10dB that you are trying to boost. I'd suggest the problem is a combination of your room and Dirac.

If you do as @Rambles has suggested and try it without Dirac engaged to see if it still goes into protection mode. If it is because you are over driving Dirac, it should be a relatively easy fix.

Out of interest, do you have any room treatment in place at all? EQ isn't a "magic bullet" that will fix everything, the idea is to fix as much as possible before letting EQ do it's thing, ideally you want EQ to do as little as possible.

Hi rambles I was watching the fallout scene when he is chased through the streets of Rome when he is riding his motorcycle and I set the volume to 75db in the master volume as I wanted to test how far this arcam pushed!
Try watching that scene again, at the same volume, with Dirac switched off, let's see if it still goes into protection mode.

As others have said, I wonder if there are any changes that can be made to the room, such as speaker positioning to try and improve those nulls?

It may be but it would be shameful that an avr20 could not with 5 8ohm monitors is intolerable at these prices!
this to happen in a 9m2 room,

This is really weird.
Just for comparison: I have a 20m2 room, 5.2.4 Arendal setup (4ohm, 84dB) and the AVR10 is more than enough. Usually the master volume is set between 50 - 60 depending on source. More than 60 would blow my ears away.

Try, like the others already told you, to test again the same sequence without dirac.
And maybe go through all your settings again. Maybe there is a mistake.

@anteranz how are your speakers connected; Bare wire/Banana/spade etc?

The reason i ask is that if using bare wire to either speakers or AVR, it'd very easy to miss a single strand of speaker wire that's potentially shorting out against another terminal post ........ been there done that myself and it can cause all sorts of problems, so always worth double checking!

This is really weird.
Just for comparison: I have a 20m2 room, 5.2.4 Arendal setup (4ohm, 84dB) and the AVR10 is more than enough. Usually the master volume is set between 50 - 60 depending on source. More than 60 would blow my ears away.

Try, like the others already told you, to test again the same sequence without dirac.
And maybe go through all your settings again. Maybe there is a mistake.
Hello, thank you for answering because I don't know what happens then because at 50/60 volume it sounds normal, not loud, as you say, I have not measured it with a sonometer but I will have 65/70 db at the listening point ... I do want to feel the movies and to enjoy them I have to go up to 65/70 and this has happened to me with the two arcam that I have had and until the 8500h I had to go up the same ... will this arcam be damaged too?

@anteranz how are your speakers connected; Bare wire/Banana/spade etc?

The reason i ask is that if using bare wire to either speakers or AVR, it'd very easy to miss a single strand of speaker wire that's potentially shorting out against another terminal post ........ been there done that myself and it can cause all sorts of problems, so always worth double checking!
i used banana

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom