New Arcam AVR's

Sorry, I don't discuss my equipment on forums, suffice to say two large floorstanders and a slightly larger than normal centre.

The ideal would to have less of a difference in sensitivity between L/R and center but that would
be a great cost of course to switch center

I sort of get where you are coming from but don't JBL really have an out though. It is widely known that Arcam is behind their latest processors so all they have to do is say it wasn't them and that they made a huge mistake with Arcam. Promise that they are working on something better but themselves this time and not relying on anyone else. As long as they offer a few promises of making it right for existing JBL owners then it's a PR nightmare but not an unrecoverable one. In the meantime the chumps who bought Arcam get to swing......
Hi,
Do you have somewhere a tangible test which proofs that the JBL ones are better than the Arcam ones?

It looks like the preout level of the Sub1 output is about 8-10 lower than the other speakers on my AVR10. My sub gain has always been match to deliver 75 dB with a standard test tone, so it matches my mains in my setup. This worked like a charm with Denon, Marantz and MiniDSP units.

However with the Arcam, it sets the mains as being about 10dB Lower than the sub to match. What’s worse, is during Dirac calibration, the sub just barelyrises above the green zone. Adding gain to the sub helps, but not by much. Add 3-4 dB gain on the sub, makes 1-2 dB gain during Dirac volume calibration

Anyone else experience this?

Hi,
Do you have somewhere a tangible test which proofs that the JBL ones are better than the Arcam ones?

Why would I have one? I have never claimed that the JBL iterations of the current platform are better than the Arcams.

I sort of get where you are coming from but don't JBL really have an out though. It is widely known that Arcam is behind their latest processors so all they have to do is say it wasn't them and that they made a huge mistake with Arcam. Promise that they are working on something better but themselves this time and not relying on anyone else. As long as they offer a few promises of making it right for existing JBL owners then it's a PR nightmare but not an unrecoverable one. In the meantime the chumps who bought Arcam get to swing......

I don't think JBL Synth would have had much of a direct choice in this, they are both part of Harman so it was likely treated as a joint project from the start. Audiocontrol will have had a choice although have partnered with Arcam for a couple of generations. It is JBL Synth who have most to lose here they had a very good reputation before the SDP-55 arrived.

I don't think JBL Synth would have had much of a direct choice in this, they are both part of Harman so it was likely treated as a joint project from the start. Audiocontrol will have had a choice although have partnered with Arcam for a couple of generations. It is JBL Synth who have most to lose here they had a very good reputation before the SDP-55 arrived.

I don't know. I am not privy to board level politics at any of the companies mentioned.

Where's our firmware update...🤔🤔

38 days (5 weeks, 3 days and counting)....!
Ugh.. I hope they haven’t gone to a 6 week or longer cycle. Dirac BC is still not there yet, and there are still plenty of quibbles left to be ironed out.
4 weeks between updates is a good sweet spot.

Ugh.. I hope they haven’t gone to a 6 week or longer cycle. Dirac BC is still not there yet, and there are still plenty of quibbles left to be ironed out.
4 weeks between updates is a good sweet spot.
Wondering if the folk at Arcam have taken feedback on sites such as this and have intentionally spent more time to optimise and test to sort out the known bugs now that there's a relatively complete feature set?

Whilst stability is a must above all else (sky dropping sound is getting really annoying!), I am hopeful we may soon get an option for bigger artwork on the screen, just seems a shame to only have a postage stamp sized picture of the album cover!

More than 2 lines on the OSD! Anyone know if this is on the cards?
That'd be good if possible!

Presumably there's only so much that can be shown due to the what the hardware can handle, but if there could be sufficient information to navigate without having to squint at the screen, and ideally be able to show additional information like HDMI statistics / video resolution, etc. that would likely be quite useful!

I'm hoping there may also be native Arcam iOS based application(s) to replace the previous FMJ generation (e.g. musiclife) at some point 🤞 and whilst they are at it, the web music interface could do with a volume control! :D

That'd be good if possible!

Presumably there's only so much that can be shown due to the what the hardware can handle, but if there could be sufficient information to navigate without having to squint at the screen, and ideally be able to show additional information like HDMI statistics / video resolution, etc. that would likely be quite useful!

I'm hoping there may also be native Arcam iOS based application(s) to replace the previous FMJ generation (e.g. musiclife) at some point 🤞 and whilst they are at it, the web music interface could do with a volume control! :D
There is already volume control in the web interface - it's on the page called "avr control"...

An android app to act as a remote (volume, input, etc would be good...

There is already volume control in the web interface - it's on the page called "avr control"...

An android app to act as a remote (volume, input, etc would be good...
Agreed and appreciate there's a control on the avr control page, but it's not (yet) on the music control page, it would just seem logical having it in situ for when playing music to have it on the same page vs having to navigate to the home screen, then to the avr control, then back to the home page, then back to the music control page to then find it's lost control of what was playing :eek: :rolleyes:

Anyone know how to turn off power save? I suffer from going into standby on ARC connection, which is pain as rest works fine. Is this a bug which can be mitigated? Was going to try putting on device pre ARC, any combos others have used. Else may have to go back to using optical!

Kevin

Anyone know how to turn off power save? I suffer from going into standby on ARC connection, which is pain as rest works fine. Is this a bug which can be mitigated? Was going to try putting on device pre ARC, any combos others have used. Else may have to go back to using optical!

Kevin
on the web interface, have you tried going to 'setup', then 'engineering' and change the standby mode to 'manual'?

Dont need web interface to do that. Press and hold the left button on the AVR for a few sets then go into power save, manual.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom