New Arcam AVR's

Yep although have to be relatively close. It's not super bad/loud - just worse than it should be (louder than any AV amp I've had in years)

Oh. I've never heard any such noise...🤷‍♂️

Oh. I've never heard any such noise...🤷‍♂️
Yep but I have the avr10 which has non-toroidal PSU.
That shouldn't matter in general (none of my hypex amps make any noise and are not toroidal)..p49 is toroidal and quieter - more of a whine from the amp circuit with that one.

Yep but I have the avr10 which has non-toroidal PSU.
That shouldn't matter in general (none of my hypex amps make any noise and are not toroidal)..p49 is toroidal and quieter - more of a whine from the amp circuit with that one.

Are you going to upgrade then??

I think so, I don't mind paying a bit more and the dealer (hopefully still) has an ex demo and my usb port has fallen off/inside so it's got to go back.

Has anyone had both the avr10 and the avr20? Hardware fault means mine has to go back and considering upgrade. Never going to need the extra channels but wondering if the hum from the PSU is reduced by the toroidal transformer in the avr20.

The only other thing I'd like (apart from bugfixes) is lower heat (i.e. av40) but can't afford that craziness.
On my AVR10, I can hear a distinct hum At about 6 inches away from the front of the AVR. At 1 foot away, the hum is barely audible.

Is your 10 similar? And are you saying the him on the 20 is lower?

Has anyone had both the avr10 and the avr20? Hardware fault means mine has to go back and considering upgrade. Never going to need the extra channels but wondering if the hum from the PSU is reduced by the toroidal transformer in the avr20.

The only other thing I'd like (apart from bugfixes) is lower heat (i.e. av40) but can't afford that craziness.

Hi Daniel, this is the one thing that bugs me about the AVR10 is the hum from the AVR, It's grand with movies or music at a relative loud volume but on low volume or no sound like now as I'm typing this it is clearly audible. So I may get the AVR20 in the end.
I have asked the thread before on any hum on the AVR20 and no one seems to hear it, so the toroidal transformer must be a better approach than the AVR10.
Like yourself I don't really need extra channels, but you never know down the road. It seems the AVR20 is the sweet spot so I'm going to upgrade to the AVR20. And this this going to be the receiver that I keep for a long time.

What happened the AVR10 that it needed to be repaired as a matter of interest?

Hi Daniel, this is the one thing that bugs me about the AVR10 is the hum from the AVR, It's grand with movies or music at a relative loud volume but on low volume or no sound like now as I'm typing this it is clearly audible. So I may get the AVR20 in the end.
I have asked the thread before on any hum on the AVR20 and no one seems to hear it, so the toroidal transformer must be a better approach than the AVR10.
Like yourself I don't really need extra channels, but you never know down the road. It seems the AVR20 is the sweet spot so I'm going to upgrade to the AVR20. And this this going to be the receiver that I keep for a long time.

What happened the AVR10 that it needed to be repaired as a matter of interest?

Hi Jimmy,

Are you saying the hum is audible at your listening position? That would indeed be very troubling, and may point to a ground loop somewhere. On my 10 it’s inaudible at about 1-1.5 ft away, and I’m in a very quiet room

Hi Jimmy,

Are you saying the hum is audible at your listening position? That would indeed be very troubling, and may point to a ground loop somewhere. On my 10 it’s inaudible at about 1-1.5 ft away, and I’m in a very quiet room
Coming back to the AVR10 after it’s been on for a while, the hum is almost entirely gone. It’s near silent now. So definitely not something inherently wrong with the transformer design. Maybe there is more unit to unit variance?

I’m curious for those with the 20,30 or 40 ie 16ch variants what you will run in terms of speakers?
I run 7.2.4 on my current avr with the .2 simply being split.
Always struck me that 16ch is an odd number for so many devices to have settled on - must be a reason but 16ch can’t run 9.2.6 can’t run 7.4.6 can’t run 9.4.4
Sure you can do 9.1.6 or 7.4.4 but the latter wastes a channel and the former seems like an odd outcome (if u have 15 speakers you will likely want more than 1 sub - yes I know you can find other ways to add either via splitter or minidsp but i'm talking just native individual channels).
I’ll probably settle on 9.2.4 or 9.3.4 or 7.4.4 but just think 17 channels would have been better if settling on higher count and manufacturers managing to exceed 12 - am I alone?

Last edited:
Hi Jimmy,

hey buddy

ya I can hear it well past 1.5 ft, I’m at work so not sure the exact distance from MLP, I tried different outlets to rule out any ground loop. I really don’t think there is any fault in the psu. I have got used it at times but I don’t think I should get used to it as it does affect my listening experience. I should say I’m pretty sensitive to noise like this and try to keep as much eclectronics in the other room like pc etc like coil whine on my GPU on my pc drove me mad until I fixed it

Having tried and failed to update with numerous flash drives, I found this small USB2 drive which worked perfectly at the first attempt:

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0063I1LP6

It was already formatted as FAT32 and I didn't need to do anything other than copy the .fw and .swu files.
I found this matching USB stick on the US site and ordered it. Finally had a chance to do an update using it and this is the first update since December that went absolutely perfect. Put the stick in with both files and kicked off update. Came back later and saw it completed successfully.

I had tried most of the sticks I have in my house and never had success in 1 try. This is with sticks that met the specs required.

US Site - $7.69 - amazon.com/gp/product/B0063I1LP6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UK site - ÂŁ4.38 - amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0063I1LP6

I’m curious for those with the 20,30 or 40 ie 16ch variants what you will run in terms of speakers?
I run 7.2.4 on my current avr with the .2 simply being split.
Always struck me that 16ch is an odd number for so many devices to have settled on - must be a reason but 16ch can’t run 9.2.6 can’t run 7.4.6 can’t run 9.4.4
Sure you can do 9.1.6 or 7.4.4 but the latter wastes a channel and the former seems like an odd outcome (if u have 15 speakers you will likely want more than 1 sub - yes I know you can find other ways to add either via splitter or minidsp but i'm talking just native individual channels).
I’ll probably settle on 9.2.4 or 9.3.4 or 7.4.4 but just think 17 channels would have been better if settling on higher count and manufacturers managing to exceed 12 - am I alone?
i do 16 channels on my avr20 7.3.6
(two subs in the front 13-14 and one sub at the back as sub1) shame its not 17 channel, shame it's a choice between middle high or back subs)

i do 16 channels on my avr20 7.3.6
(two subs in the front 13-14 and one sub at the back as sub1) shame its not 17 channel, shame it's a choice between middle high or back subs)

Thx
I think its quite weird so many companies have all settled on the same channel count despite it being a little odd to my mind. Maybe they are intentionally leaving room for the next range, after all if they had 17 or even 19 channels - I might never upgrade....9.4.6 feels like total end game system to me....audio beyond my ability to discern improvement, video likewise at 4k HDR etc - but this relies on the competition doing the same.

Thx
I think its quite weird so many companies have all settled on the same channel count despite it being a little odd to my mind. Maybe they are intentionally leaving room for the next range, after all if they had 17 or even 19 channels - I might never upgrade....9.4.6 feels like total end game system to me....audio beyond my ability to discern improvement, video likewise at 4k HDR etc - but this relies on the competition doing the same.
More channels more DAC's required, more cost!
Depending on architecture you might have 2 DAC's per channel which would be very expensive if you are using the latest high end DAC's i'd have thought?

A lot of people think Arcam's are priced on the high side, so bumping the price up wouldn't be a good move, they are already a relatively small niche/boutique brand.

I am sure there are a lot more reasons why 16 channels seem to be what Arcam and the other manufacturers have decided to go for.

More channels more DAC's required, more cost!
Depending on architecture you might have 2 DAC's per channel which would be very expensive if you are using the latest high end DAC's i'd have thought?

A lot of people think Arcam's are priced on the high side, so bumping the price up wouldn't be a good move, they are already a relatively small niche/boutique brand.

I am sure there are a lot more reasons why 16 channels seem to be what Arcam and the other manufacturers have decided to go for.

Sure - fully appreciate it costs ÂŁÂŁ but that could just as easily be cited as a reason to say stick at 14 channels or 15 and offer it slightly cheaper etc. What im trying to grasp is really why they landed on 16 as their sweet spot given it doesn't align too well with the configs I laid out and which i imagined many people would want to adopt. I was thinking that I must be missing a standard config many people do use bc Arcam and soooo many others have gone for 16 - that's why I was curious what most of us with 16 ch will implement.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom