New Arcam AVR's

Are you running the latest firmware? They have fixed the chromecast issues.

You dont have to do a factory reset, just switch it off on the main power switch. Make sure you have turned down your subwoofer first or it will pop big time.

Been trying again all morning and I can’t get the amp and tv to work correctly over hdmi, I have tried a different cable my tv has ARC but not eARC. tried everything combination in the hdmi settings on the amp. Totally fed up with this issue now.
[/QUOTE]

Make sure to unplug the power from both TV and Arcam. When I had the AV40 I did have to also pull the TV power to get the handshake to completely reset.
[/QUOTE]

Yes I have tried this multiple times thanks but i cant get it to work. After a factory reset do you change the CEC control to output 1 and leave everything else alone? I have ordered a new HDMI 8k cable too.

I saw this type of issue some time ago where CEC would stop working on my Samsung TV if I accessed the CEC menu on the TV. The only way I could clear it was to apply a firmware update again (Reset did not work).

I saw this type of issue some time ago where CEC would stop working on my Samsung TV if I accessed the CEC menu on the TV. The only way I could clear it was to apply a firmware update again (Reset did not work).
I have just rest my TV back to factory settings I will now update it to latest firmware and try again. I did this and it still doesn’t work 🙁

Last edited:
Heard back from Arcam support the arcam control app does not work yet for the AVR20 via chromecast.

“We are currently awaiting an update for our Control and Music Life App, in the meantime you will be able to use Internet radio by logging on to the devices Web control page.
You can access the control page by, entering the AVR's IP address in to a Web browser on your PC, Mobile or tablet computer, from there you can listen to the radio and control the AVR.”

Hi all, I am also in contact with Arcam on the following topics:
  • I am watching Netflix or Amazon prime via my Samsung TV, when I press pause I get uncontrolled rhythmic noises from my speaker.
    • Feedback Arcam: Topic is in clarification (since December...)
  • The receiver does not react if I turn the TV on. Off usually works. connected via HDMI cable. But the most annoying thing is that if I turn the receiver on manually I always need to walk to the device to push the source buttons till it is “display” input Hence the button is missing on the remote control...
    • Feedback Arcam: CEC is a quite loose protocol I should use the optical cable, which works usually better.
  • After an update all parameters need to be tipped in manually.
    • Feedback Arcam, this cannot be changed.
I am having an AVR 30 and fighting with it since December...and it Is unbelievable how many bugs this Receiver has And I really fed up of it and think about bringing it back.

Did someone tried the Denon AVC-X8500H and can tell me if it really sounds worse compared to the Arcam?

Thanks for your support 👍

• I am watching Netflix or Amazon prime via my Samsung TV, when I press pause I get uncontrolled rhythmic noises from my speaker.
  • The receiver does not react if I turn the TV on. Off usually works. connected via HDMI cable. But the most annoying thing is that if I turn the receiver on manually I always need to walk to the device to push the source buttons till it is “display” input Hence the button is missing on the remote control...
    • Feedback Arcam: CEC is a quite loose protocol I should use the optical cable, which works usually better.
I am having an AVR 30 and fighting with it since December...and it Is unbelievable how many bugs this Receiver has And I really fed up of it and think about bringing it back.

Did someone tried the Denon AVC-X8500H and can tell me if it really sounds worse compared to the Arcam?

Agreed that CEC is a loose protocol, and hence broken. I’ve never seen it work well regardless of brand. I guess if all your equipment is from one brand it “might” work. Get something like a Harmony remote and directly control switch on/off behavior.

Parameters needing to be flipped after a reset is a (poor) design decision. Wouldn’t call it a bug.

I actually quite like the supplied remote control but find it odd there is no TV button or display button too. I might have to try the HDMI and optical cable route to get around the CEC problem. But with my Alexa tv box I can just say “ Alexa Arcam on” and it turns on. Same with TV and volume up / down and mute, skip track etc. They are brilliant for people with poor site too, not just a gimmick.

I have reported all of your faults since Jan without any decent response, and now they have stopped communicating to me. Really poor tbh.

I have the same issues with my Samsung tv, the tv remote will not power up the AV20, but it will power it down ok and to make matters worse there is no display button on the remote control.

My 10 year old pioneer worked flawless with ARC.

I also get the same bleeping noise when pausing Netflix from my Samsung tv.

Good news my hdmi handshake is sorted! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I watched a movie on the projector in output 2 then when I switched back to TV display and it worked by itself. Btw the movie sounded brilliant, I just need to set up Dirac now :thumbsdow .

My new screened 3.5mm jack cable arrived today to join the trigger between the AVR20 and P49 power amp. Im building up courage to plug it in and hope the humming buzzing sound doesn’t come back. (I think this is a grounding earth issue)

I have also worked out I can get the ‘Web interface‘ on my phone by typing the IP number in the search browser, this makes it easy to adjust settings on the fly without having to power up the old laptop.

I have not had need yet to update to new firmware, but is it possible to save a copy of all the settings in ‘store a secure backup’ then after the firmware update just reinstall from this backup, Or does the reset also wipe this saved backup?

I have not had need yet to update to new firmware, but is it possible to save a copy of all the settings in ‘store a secure backup’ then after the firmware update just reinstall from this backup, Or does the reset also wipe this saved backup?
The danger with this (on the old Arcam's, or any AVR really) is if the new firmware adds or removes setting parameters, so the backed up data won't match to the new firmware.

Not recommended, quote from the release notes:
"Due to the EEPROM contents changing between software versions, restoring settings from a secure backup is NOT recommended."

Not recommended, quote from the release notes:
"Due to the EEPROM contents changing between software versions, restoring settings from a secure backup is NOT recommended."
Thanks not seen that, something else that would be useful in the paper manuel handbook.

Last edited:
As a suggestion, at least using the web interface, I've found it quite a quick process to carry out vs. using the remote, if needed, presumably you could also take some screen shots?

Likely a reasonable feature request to be able to export / import the specific settings (vs. a full backup of the firmware) or even better, to do that automatically to make the update process simpler if Arcam read this conversation! :)

I have reported all of your faults since Jan without any decent response, and now they have stopped communicating to me. Really poor tbh.

I have the same issues with my Samsung tv, the tv remote will not power up the AV20, but it will power it down ok and to make matters worse there is no display button on the remote control.

Does the bleeping noise stop if you disable EARC on the Arcam?

I stopped using ARC control with my older Samsung 75" 3D TV because although it powered on and off fine with the TV it would always switch the Arcam to the TV input which is not what I wanted.

Also, what fixed the handshake issue?

Does the bleeping noise stop if you disable EARC on the Arcam?

I stopped using ARC control with my older Samsung 75" 3D TV because although it powered on and off fine with the TV it would always switch the Arcam to the TV input which is not what I wanted.

Also, what fixed the handshake issue?
I think it was me who had the handshake issue on this thread recently, like I said before using the projector on output 2 for a movie then switching back to output 1 for the TV it just started to work again. All cables and settings were left the same, a bit strange but at least it's fixed, until next time.

Interestingly when I turn on my panasonic 4k TV it doesn't turn on the amp automatically like reported on here by people with Samsung Tv's so seems a common fault.
I got around this issue by installing a Amazon fire tv box, now i just say "Alexa TV on" and the amp comes on too, "Alexa TV off" and the amp turns off as well, like dark magic 😁

Last edited:
As a suggestion, at least using the web interface, I've found it quite a quick process to carry out vs. using the remote, if needed, presumably you could also take some screen shots?

Likely a reasonable feature request to be able to export / import the specific settings (vs. a full backup of the firmware) or even better, to do that automatically to make the update process simpler if Arcam read this conversation! :)
Yes totally agree, 👍on my previous yamaha av amp, I set the auto updates to on and it updated itself; I did not need to do anything, so it can be possible just Arcam being lazy🤣

Could you pls explain the significance of not having a display button on the remote - never owned an arcam

Hi, is anyone aware of what difference there is between the preamp section of the AVR20 and the AVR30? If any.

Could you pls explain the significance of not having a display button on the remote - never owned an arcam

If I want the tv sound through the arcam, I have to get my ass up of the sofa to the arcam and manually scroll through the input button to get the audio from the tv or Netflix etc with ARC disabled. if ARC is enable it will auto switch, but ARC has issues and does not completely work.
15852629221861398685416952597661.jpg

If I want the tv sound through the arcam, I have to get my ass up of the sofa to the arcam and manually scroll through the input button to get the audio from the tv or Netflix etc with ARC disabled. if ARC is enable it will auto switch, but ARC has issues and does not completely work. View attachment 1273951
Or you could stay on your ass and just go to the menu > input and scroll to and select display!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom