New Arcam AVR's

As mentioned, this had only been a problem with the Arcam AV860, was virtually non existent when coupled to my Lexicon LX-7 amp as using the "Ground Lift" switch pretty much eliminated it. Over the years i have changed various bits of kit and it became more noticeable when i changed from the LX-7 to the Nord amps i currently have. Short of installing a dedicated mains circuit, i'd pretty much done everything to eliminate it ...... to no avail.

As soon as i changed from the AV860 to the Trinnov Altitude 16 the hum/buzz was no more ..... so take from that what you will.
I think I have finally sorted my noise issue, it was the 3.5mm jack plug trigger lead between the AVR20 and the P49 power amp. I disconnected it and did a factory reset and it's been working perfectly all evening. I have ordered a new shielded jack plug so fingers crossed that should sort it. 🤞🙏

What do you guys think is the difference in what you get with each of these AVRs?

I was planning on getting the AVR30 later this year. I visited my local AV shop and was advised that the AVR20 will likely be sufficient for my needs over the AVR30 as it really would only be necessary in a much larger setups.

I really appreciated that honest advice but am struggling to accept that I should go for the lower model. The £1500 difference in price is significant but I had in mind to go for the higher spec one. I will demo both side by side but wondered what thoughts are out there on the difference in audio quality I might expect from the two models.

If the lower one will do the job, I just need a bit of persuading that it is the right choice. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Go with the AVR20 I have been using this today without the P49 power amp and it has bags of power, it drove my 300w Pl300 no problem and sounded really detailed and sweet. Adding the power amp gives more depth and scale but probably not worth the extra cash unless you want to upset your bank manager. 😉

Last edited:
Arcam AV20 owner here. Was just wondering if people are still experiencing lipsync issues? We watch a lot of NetFlix from our Samsung Q9FN TV (2018 model) with audio over HDMI ARC, and often after resuming from pause, or fast-forwarding / rewinding, then the audio falls out of sync. If I go into the web interface and turn CEC control off and back on again, it will resync, but this is obviously a nuisance and is beyond what can be expected of the rest of my household. Seems to have gotten worse with the last two firmware updates I've found, but there were issues with other apps (BBC iPlayer) on the TV when pausing or seeking. This is our main issue with the unit currently.

Arcam AV20 owner here. Was just wondering if people are still experiencing lipsync issues? We watch a lot of NetFlix from our Samsung Q9FN TV (2018 model) with audio over HDMI ARC, and often after resuming from pause, or fast-forwarding / rewinding, then the audio falls out of sync. If I go into the web interface and turn CEC control off and back on again, it will resync, but this is obviously a nuisance and is beyond what can be expected of the rest of my household. Seems to have gotten worse with the last two firmware updates I've found, but there were issues with other apps (BBC iPlayer) on the TV when pausing or seeking. This is our main issue with the unit currently.

Only a couple of days in with the AVR20 but have watched Netflix and BBC iPlayer via Panasonic TV and Amazon fire tv box cube with zero issues. The Hdmi handshake has also been perfect too which makes a change from other receivers I have had. Maybe invest in the fire tv box, they are great having Alexa built in too. Got mine for £90, sounds great with Apple music too via HDMI into the AVR20.

Can anyone confirm this speaker menu works??

Example, set your L/R speakers in crossover at 200hz, so its proper bass thin. If I select left/right as in attached pic it should over ride the crossover and play full range right and turn the subwoofer off?? None of those settings change a thing. View attachment 1270770
Heard back from Ed. They know about the issue you brought up and it’s being worked on. He said he’s now working from home because of Kung flu and has taken an avr20 home to use which will hopefully speed up fault finding

Heard back from Ed. They know about the issue you brought up and it’s being worked on. He said he’s now working from home because of Kung flu and has taken an avr20 home to use which will hopefully speed up fault finding

Yes about time, you would think they would offer their staff a unit to take home, bloody hell they would nail and notice the issues asap and get them sorted. I'm a bit confused as to why they dont do that??🤔🤔

I've also told ed all those issues back in 075 firmware, now he dont doesnt even replay to my emails, but you get a response??

Last edited:
Yes about time, you would think they would offer their staff a unit to take home, bloody hell they would nail and notice the issues asap and get them sorted. I'm a bit confused as to why they dont do that??🤔🤔

I've also told ed all those issues back in 075 firmware, now he dont doesnt even replay to my emails, but you get a response??
What can I say....he might like the way I heavy breath down the phone.

What can I say....he might like the way I heavy breath down the phone.

I've still got more stuff to report...🤣🙈

At least it can stream music reliably.

Why cant you stream tidal master from a mobile device?? 🤔

I'm hoping the rumoured upcoming firmware feature release isn't too badly delayed, would like Dirac properly fixed and Auro.

Have you tried using the music life application, that works for me?

I've tried that, but cannot seem to get tidal on the app?

I can only stream master via the web interface.

From the Music Life application, if you check the audio output is your Arcam amplifier, then goto the airable streaming section, there should be a tidal section for you to add your Tidal credentials?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Music Life application, if you check the audio output is your Arcam amplifier, then goto the audible streaming section, there should be a tidal section for you to add your Tidal credentials?

I can see the arcam amp which it is connected to, but no tidal section to sign into?

No Airable menu? Which type of OS are you using on your mobile device? Checking on Google, it appears that iOS and Google both should support Tidal via Airable when using music life

No Airable menu? Which type of OS are you using on your mobile device? Checking on Google, it appears that iOS and Google both should support Tidal via Airable when using music life

Yeah the airable fuction is there but wont let me connect. I'm using samsung S8

Strange. Works for my iPhone... hopefully the android app will be updated if it’s not working fully! On the positive side Arcam indicated that they may be working on a replacement application.

In the meanwhile, as an idea, you should be able to use the web interface from your phone if you are on WiFi?

Strange. Works for my iPhone... hopefully the android app will be updated if it’s not working fully! On the positive side Arcam indicated that they may be working on a replacement application.

In the meanwhile, as an idea, you should be able to use the web interface from your phone if you are on WiFi?

What do you mean web interface??

I've still got more stuff to report...🤣🙈

At least it can stream music reliably.

Why cant you stream tidal master from a mobile device?? 🤔
Send me the list and I’ll forward it on because me and Ed and like 🤞 😂😂😂

I don’t use tidal mate...

AV Online have the AVR's and the SA30 in their Deal of the Day (accessible from the my account section, ends at midnight). They're around 15% off but they only have 1 or 2 of each in stock.

Very tempted to get an AVR30, but I was still weighing up my options and planning to wait for HDMI 2.1 AVR's later this year... Or go down the processor / power amp route.

If someone beats me to it and makes the decision for me then it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world :laugh:

Only a couple of days in with the AVR20 but have watched Netflix and BBC iPlayer via Panasonic TV and Amazon fire tv box cube with zero issues. The Hdmi handshake has also been perfect too which makes a change from other receivers I have had. Maybe invest in the fire tv box, they are great having Alexa built in too. Got mine for £90, sounds great with Apple music too via HDMI into the AVR20.
[/QUOTE]

I jinxed it 🙄 I had to do a factory reset after the unit was acting erratically after locking up on chromecast. Now i'm having HDMI handshake problems between the TV and amp. 3 hours of trying yesterday different settings and unplugging cables and still not managed to get it sorted. 😥[/QUOTE]

I jinxed it 🙄 I had to do a factory reset after the unit was acting erratically after locking up on chromecast. Now i'm having HDMI handshake problems between the TV and amp. 3 hours of trying yesterday different settings and unplugging cables and still not managed to get it sorted. 😥[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Are you running the latest firmware? They have fixed the chromecast issues.

You dont have to do a factory reset, just switch it off on the main power switch. Make sure you have turned down your subwoofer first or it will pop big time.

I jinxed it 🙄 I had to do a factory reset after the unit was acting erratically after locking up on chromecast. Now i'm having HDMI handshake problems between the TV and amp. 3 hours of trying yesterday different settings and unplugging cables and still not managed to get it sorted. 😥
[/QUOTE]

You dont have to do a factory reset, just switch it off on the main power switch. Make sure you have turned down your subwoofer first or it will pop big time.
[/QUOTE]
Yes it came pre installed with the latest firmware and I have checked and it says 1.20v. Airplay seems a lot faster, Chromecast is clunky in comparison also I can’t get on to the Arcam control app with my Samsung S7edge phone, it just searches for devices. I have reinstalled the app but still no success. The iPad connects to the control App instantly. I had to do I a factory reset because the chromecast caused a chain of problems and error codes Fail AK4452 and Fail AK3318.

Been trying again all morning and I can’t get the amp and tv to work correctly over hdmi, I have tried a different cable my tv has ARC but not eARC. tried everything combination in the hdmi settings on the amp. Totally fed up with this issue now.

[/QUOTE]
Yes it came pre installed with the latest firmware and I have checked and it says 1.20v. Airplay seems a lot faster, Chromecast is clunky in comparison also I can’t get on to the Arcam control app with my Samsung S7edge phone, it just searches for devices. I have reinstalled the app but still no success. The iPad connects to the control App instantly. I had to do I a factory reset because the chromecast caused a chain of problems and error codes Fail AK4452 and Fail AK3318.

Been trying again all morning and I can’t get the amp and tv to work correctly over hdmi, I have tried a different cable my tv has ARC but not eARC. tried everything combination in the hdmi settings on the amp. Totally fed up with this issue now.
[/QUOTE]

Make sure to unplug the power from both TV and Arcam. When I had the AV40 I did have to also pull the TV power to get the handshake to completely reset.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom