New Arcam AVR's

From memory, another issue with v7.14 firmware is if you select Virtual X via the Mode button with Dirac On, you get blasted with high volume compared to all the other Modes.

The JBL (If they get to the UK) will most likely be more expensive than the Arcam, as they include Dante Networking (Amongst other things) which the Arcam doesn't appear too. (They also look brilliant so you can be proud to have them on show)

Bill
Yes i agree, look much nicer, although i don't base any future purchase on looks alone. Dante Networking looks interesting, although i don't have Dante capable amps, i also like that they have Dirac Tier 2 built in and included.

Nicer, but I vote FMJ in terms of looks (perhaps except the big strange knob). But I can see the QA still limps. Got the P4229 to drive my fronts but the fan sounds like a turbo-prop so quite present at normal listening levels. It runs permanently from I switch on till turn off).

Well Arcam was not present at the show after all (see my post a bit up the page), so no news. I'll have to discuss with the dealer tomorrow before the P429 takes off and flies out the window :), but doubt he will be able to say much more.

What about Lexicon RV-9 which is the same (I think exactly the same as the AVR850 so there must be a new model soon). I wonder if the FW is the same and suffering the same issues?

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading the firmware, as if this is not done they do seem to get some idiosyncrasy after any update.

Bill

As I said before the bugs present in the latest firmware of the FMJ line have been confirm by Arcam themselves it has nothing to do with the end user.

Its just Arcam cannot be bothered to fix them & is willing to leave their customers in limbo for over eight months as we have been told fixes are coming but nothing has materialized.

It seems it was more of a priority to release a new line than to fix the bugs in the previous generation.

Still did not stop them pushing the FMJ line with their "celebration of 25 years" by slashing the prices to shift the old stock before releasing the new line.

Looking at lexicon av9 it seems identical to the avr 850. So the bugs proberly not limited to only Arcam in that case. Still too bad and my brand new P429 needs to be replaced due to all three fans runs at max. speed from the moment it is switched on.

In short it seems that Arcam have not gotten down to the bottom of their issues despite entering the Harman group and kept the same lineup for 4 years. I wonder how well other comparable brands do here and if I should have bought something else.

Its going to be another two weeks until these arrive unfortunately. Processor and power amplifiers are now likely to be December.

Their part of the Harman group now, so hopefully the days of customer Beta testing is gone.

Bill

Their part of the Harman group now,
And have been for over two years. The duff 7.14 firmware was developed & released under Harman ownership, was acknowledged as duff under Harman ownership & has failed to be addressed under Harman ownership.

No sign whatsoever that anything's improved.

That's what I'd hoped, but no not with the p429 not the FW bug fix for the fmj 😕

And have been for over two years. The duff 7.14 firmware was developed & released under Harman ownership, was acknowledged as duff under Harman ownership & has failed to be addressed under Harman ownership.

No sign whatsoever that anything's improved.

Nothing changes overnight after a take over, also it is unusual that they will influence existing products which will not have been developed under their tenure, so the fact that the existing products are still having problems is by the by, the test will be to see how the products developed under the Harman group perform.

Bill

Nothing changes overnight after a take over, also it is unusual that they will influence existing products which will not have been developed under their tenure, so the fact that the existing products are still having problems is by the by, the test will be to see how the products developed under the Harman group perform.

Bill

I love your optimism. Time will tell.......

I'd think they would keep an eye on the QA in the production of both HW and FW, not least since the AVR850 seems identical to the Lexicon AV 9 and I doubt much other than the logo and menues in the FW is different. I could be wrong, but when we take over someone we ensure that quality is at our standards and that production is running efficiency.

I'm probably going to get either an AVR20 or 30 to replace my early NAD T777. I have a fairly small listening space with B&W CM series speakers (CM6 mains), CM rear and center, REL 7i sub, and will be adding 2 ceiling speakers for Atmos. I don't need large amounts of power but 2 channel fidelity is hugely important. My concern is that the AVR20 might be a dressed up Harman piece with a big price tag and that the AVR30 amplifier stage is significantly more musical and retains the best part of the AVR850, the amplifier. The difference in price is significant enough to reinforce that feeling.

I thought the same when I purchased my AVR850 but it seems the price is not the be all end all when it comes to performance.

Despite all this I am still shocked the way Arcam treats their customers, they are considered a premium brand but their customer care in no way matches that perception.

I can’t believe the price hikes of these things... technology usually becomes a bit cheaper with time unless it’s crammed with new tech - there are no great evolutions here

to be honest, when seeing what is under the hood of these things and the basic minimalist software, it is an outrage for what they charge; my AVR450 is an empty chassis mostly.... don’t think I’d buy another ARCAM unless I got a hefty discount

Well development cost has to be covered by the relatively few units sold. So the extra sonic quality you get is at premium cost obviously. Add to this the QA issue and you wonder if it's worth it. Well like high class cars the cost quite a lot extra and spend much more time in the workshop than common cars.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom