Quantcast

New Arcam AVR's

dave1956a

It would be interesting if (and its a big if) the FMJ's get a firmware update to fix the bugs and can support basic Dirac BM.

They will then become sought after bargains

Diagnosticz

Agree, it’s the AVR20 and up that really have me keeping an eye on this thread...
The AVR10-20 are the same with different wattage AVR30 class G is the one that should be kept an eye on

Last edited:

UMAR 3:16

The AVR10-20 are the same with different wattage AVR30 class Gi is the one that should be kept an eye on
Different processing channels too

Dunners

I'll be interested to see the GUI / remote + general interface.
I believe what feels like DIRAC ver.2 could be an absolute winner.

fatboy frank

So it looks like exactly the same remote control as current range, so still no "Display" Input :(

dave1956a

talking of the new range not working ootb as they should, now here is a funny thing, Arcam are now saying the new range was sent to distributors in order dealers could have them to demo to customers not to sell them 'cos they are not a finished product. Why do that? how can a dealer demo a product if it is not really working as it should. Arcam make a thing about all sales should be in a dealership not mail order so the customer knows what he/she is getting. how does that work then if the product is not fully working

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I've been holding off for the avr30 but is the Denon x8500 the safer bet?
The Denon 8500 probably is a safer bet, but it might not sound as good, or at least, it will almost certainly sound different, and we don't know which sound you might prefer.

What AVR have you got now?

DodgeTheViper

I've been holding off for the avr30 but is the Denon x8500 the safer bet?
For something that’s going to do what it’s supposed to do out of the box, probably yes.
Will the Denon have less bugs, no doubt yes.
Will you be less frustrated with the Denon, probably yes.
Will the Denon be easier to set up and use generally, probably yes.

There is no doubt that they will sound different though. I think most would prefer the sound of the Arcam over Denon.

I‘d be doing as much research as possible before deciding either way.

themovierooms

AVForums Sponsor
Dont forget as well that the Denon 8500 is guaranteed to take the new HDMI 2.1 board as a hardware upgrade once it becomes available,

AdamAttewell

Dont forget as well that the Denon 8500 is guaranteed to take the new HDMI 2.1 board as a hardware upgrade once it becomes available,
Dan, have I heard correctly that it could be possible the HDA range will have the possibility of an upgradable HDMI board?

I wont hold my breath though :D

themovierooms

AVForums Sponsor
My understanding that the only models from D&M will be the Marantz 8805 & Denon 8500 and these will be a hardware upgrade a bit like the 7200/8802 range had the opportunity to do.

We are in the realms with the HDMI boards where some of the really new iterations might take a software update rather than hardware to but the information coming from the manufacturers and MDS is pretty poor at the moment and ive not yet had anything like this confirmed for sure. Definitely not had that confirmed from Arcam, as yet.

dmk1198

My local arcam dealer hasn't received new models yet but don't like the look
They also surprised they shipping with no Dirac! They think firmware to make everything sing will take six months...
U wanna be the guinea pig....

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
They think firmware to make everything sing will take six months...
Sounds like the DIrac Live v2 model. Announced in December 2017 & buggy, barely usuable version released in November 2018.

Hard to fathom how they can be struggling so much with software when they have four years of FMJ cock-ups expertise as a blueprint.

Undercover spy reveals Arcam/Dirac joint software venture:

school-visit-bbc-micro.jpg

themovierooms

AVForums Sponsor
My local arcam dealer hasn't received new models yet but don't like the look
They also surprised they shipping with no Dirac! They think firmware to make everything sing will take six months...
U wanna be the guinea pig....
We have had some stock, DIRAC will be added by the end of the month. Im told future updates will be over the air so no more USB stick/factory reset malarkey, if you then leave the unit connected to a network and set to ‘automatic’ updates units you will have any new firmware updated as and when they release the software.

themovierooms

AVForums Sponsor
It will be the same reason all of the amplifiers with 16+channels are waiting, they will have had to most likely re-write the software I would imagine. Same reason the DIRAC isn't on the Emotiva as yet.

Thatsnotmynaim

Understand that but in my mind that means the product is not ready yet and is not ready for full release.. Maybe they could do a scheme where they release an early adopters / beta version at a reduced price to promote adoption / bug fixing by people who don’t mind / want to buy beta kit.
It’s a bit cheeky of the manufacturers having it on full retail display / sale at full price when it’s not finished.
I’d personally would love one even as an early adopter but don’t want to pay full price, especially if it’s not finished as I’d like to be compensated for being a beta tester.. :)
Imagine BMW releasing a new car, but the turbo’s not turned on yet and we’ll do that in 6 months time when we’ve written the software update to do it!!!

drillo

Also requires buyer to have an element of trust/faith in the manufacturer. Arcam squandered that with their handling of the flaws in the last series IMHO. I won’t be buying on a promise from you Arcam, not when you have demonstrated contempt for your customers.....fool me once.....

Last edited:

audiofidelity

Formerly 'mattmk'
Been in receipt of one of the new HDA range for a week now (previously had one of the FMJ range). Experience so far is showing this is definitely a step up feature wise and sound compared to previous generation seems more refined presumably as there’s an improved DAC. Keen to get DIRAC in place.

As an idea for anyone else upgrading, you can likely note the speaker distances and sizes and set them up in the interim. I took photos of each menu before unplugging the old unit :).

Loving the screen so far and the readability of what’s playing. I was apprehensive about the cosmetics but the AVR is looking great and not at all out of place.

Web management is really nice, great to be able to configure / play / stream through a browser.

Firmware can now be applied without using USB through the web interface which makes the update process a lot easier. The firmware shipped had already been superseded so a sign that updates are coming through quick and fast from what I can see.

All the basic features are mostly working. Including Atmos decoding, Dolby vision pass through etc.

Roon is fully working out the box, AirPlay 2 is working out the box which are nice features to have at last vs the previous line up.

Not been able to use chromecast as of yet, but been advised by Arcam support that it should be working in the next firmware release in the coming 2 or so weeks once it’s through their internal testing (was working in their lab on the next release that’s being tested).

There are a couple of niggles I’ve had selecting sources, but I’m confident they’ll be addressed soon enough.

There seems to be some discontent about how Arcam’s firmware hasn’t been updated regularly / reliability in the past and isn’t yet 100% for the new product line but apparently that this is a brand new platform module based on the Harman acquisition and having spoken at length to their support team could sense there’s been a massive effort to get the new platform perfected and tuned by the R&D team in Cambridge, and with that comes a few iterations of firmware (presume this is likely the case for most manufacturers)?

My FMJ experience was mostly positive so I’m giving Arcam the benefit of the doubt in terms of the firmware, especially as they appear to have a new approach to firmware development and testing going forwards.

For those with the FMJ generation of Arcam receivers was also told by the Arcam support team that there’s a new firmware in the pipeline for those products if it helps. You’ve not been forgotten :).

Last edited:

Delija

My FMJ experience was mostly positive so I’m giving Arcam the benefit of the doubt in terms of the firmware, especially as they appear to have a new approach to firmware development and testing going forwards.
Definitely new approach - FMJ at least had Dirac implemented on launch :)

dave1956a

Been in receipt of one of the new HDA range for a week now (previously had one of the FMJ range). Experience so far is showing this is definitely a step up feature wise and sound compared to previous generation seems more refined presumably as there’s an improved DAC. Keen to get DIRAC in place.

As an idea for anyone else upgrading, you can likely note the speaker distances and sizes and set them up in the interim. I took photos of each menu before unplugging the old unit :).

Loving the screen so far and the readability of what’s playing. I was apprehensive about the cosmetics but the AVR is looking great and not at all out of place.

Web management is really nice, great to be able to configure / play / stream through a browser.

Firmware can now be applied without using USB through the web interface which makes the update process a lot easier. The firmware shipped had already been superseded so a sign that updates are coming through quick and fast from what I can see.

All the basic features are mostly working. Including Atmos decoding, Dolby vision pass through etc.

Roon is fully working out the box, AirPlay 2 is working out the box which are nice features to have at last vs the previous line up.

Not been able to use chromecast as of yet, but been advised by Arcam support that it should be working in the next firmware release in the coming 2 or so weeks once it’s through their internal testing (was working in their lab on the next release that’s being tested).

There are a couple of niggles I’ve had selecting sources, but I’m confident they’ll be addressed soon enough.

There seems to be some discontent about how Arcam’s firmware hasn’t been updated regularly / reliability in the past and isn’t yet 100% for the new product line but apparently that this is a brand new platform module based on the Harman acquisition and having spoken at length to their support team could sense there’s been a massive effort to get the new platform perfected and tuned by the R&D team in Cambridge, and with that comes a few iterations of firmware (presume this is likely the case for most manufacturers)?

For those with the FMJ generation of Arcam receivers was also told by the Arcam support team that there’s a new firmware in the pipeline for those products if it helps. You’ve not been forgotten :).

Well if this post is from a real end user then it looks like the new range looks like it might be ok

But is it a real user the member has only posted once, does not say what model he has and goes into a lot of detail about the background to the product it does read a bit like PR spin. It could be a fake posting from a P.R outfit paid to make Arcam look good. Not saying it is but there is a lot of that type of marketing around so you never know.

audiofidelity

Formerly 'mattmk'
Well if this post is from a real end user then it looks like the new range looks like it might be ok

But is it a real user the member has only posted once, does not say what model he has and goes into a lot of detail about the background to the product it does read a bit like PR spin. It could be a fake posting from a P.R outfit paid to make Arcam look good. Not saying it is but there is a lot of that type of marketing around so you never know.
It was my first post, not really had anything valuable to say so haven’t spoken to date, but have been reading the thread with interest as I had pre-ordered my receiver 2 months ago so thought my initial feedback may have been useful for others. My feedback was not meant to be overtly positive, there are shortcomings with the HDA vs the FMJ, e.g. no chromecast, no DIRAC, switching sources, etc.

I’ve only had the amplifier for a week so it’s still early days. I didn’t think the model I own was particularly relevant as the feedback was about the line up vs the previous line up?

Thatsnotmynaim

Still would be interesting to know, presume it’s not a state secret? Would also be interesting to know where you bought it from, presuming you bought it?

dave1956a

Still would be interesting to know, presume it’s not a state secret? Would also be interesting to know where you bought it from, presuming you bought it?

Yes would be good to know, It is a shame but nowadays fake news is in use everywhere so one needs to be very careful what one reads. It is a little odd that the model number is not mentioned in the posting. Come to think bout it no mention of the FMJ model the poster has.

"There are a couple of niggles I’ve had selecting sources," well it works or does not work thats how things are with HDMI can you expand on that if poss

When you say chromecast does not work - are you saying you plug the chromecast player in it does not work?

Really do not want to sound harsh just careful. If you are a real end user I am sure you will understand.

If this was a PR post it is a shame that it got through for posting where as a genuine offer of help from a manufacturer is banned unless the manufacturer buys add space on this site. still that's the rules.

Last edited: