Quantcast

New Arcam AVR's

fatboy frank

goatlips

When is this due??

fatboy frank

When is this due??
It's overdue ...... and the "Big Feature" that most have been waiting for.... me included :D Part of the reasoning behind the HDA Range i suspect as the FMJ Range weren't able to support it fully also the reason for the discrete Sub outputs channels 13 - 16

goatlips

It's overdue ...... and the "Big Feature" that most have been waiting for.... me included :D Part of the reasoning behind the HDA Range i suspect as the FMJ Range weren't able to support it fully also the reason for the discrete Sub outputs channels 13 - 16
Thanks frank👍

tviviano

Standard Member
The update of the NET component on the 1.04 update seems to be just hanging. I am around 30 minutes in and it just says UPDATING NAT:updating -- -- . Should I be seeing the %complete during the net update or does it just say updating until complete?

meetloaf13

Standard Member
The update of the NET component on the 1.04 update seems to be just hanging. I am around 30 minutes in and it just says UPDATING NAT:updating -- -- . Should I be seeing the %complete during the net update or does it just say updating until complete?
Mine hung on the first try. I ended up power cycling and trying again. It worked the second time.

dave1956a

Have a look at Page E30 in the 860 user manual

"
Audio Compression – Allows selection of compression
which is ideal for late night listening. The compression
effect increases the volume of the quiet passages
and decreases the volume of the louder passages.
Compression only applies to Dolby / DTS soundtrack
formats that support this function.
< < Off: (default) no audio compression is applied.
< < Medium: compression is applied so that loud
portions of a soundtrack are reduced in level. Dolby
True HD stream is compressed automatically as set
by the incoming stream.
< < High: the maximum amount of dynamic range
compression is applied, so that the difference
between loud and quiet portions of a soundtrack is
minimised.
This setting applies to all inputs when a relevant digital
audio stream is detected. It is stored in memory and
recalled each time the unit is powered up"

drillo

Have a look at Page E30 in the 860 user manual

"
Audio Compression – Allows selection of compression
which is ideal for late night listening. The compression
effect increases the volume of the quiet passages
and decreases the volume of the louder passages.
Compression only applies to Dolby / DTS soundtrack
formats that support this function.
< < Off: (default) no audio compression is applied.
< < Medium: compression is applied so that loud
portions of a soundtrack are reduced in level. Dolby
True HD stream is compressed automatically as set
by the incoming stream.
< < High: the maximum amount of dynamic range
compression is applied, so that the difference
between loud and quiet portions of a soundtrack is
minimised.
This setting applies to all inputs when a relevant digital
audio stream is detected. It is stored in memory and
recalled each time the unit is powered up"
Yes this year's manual reads identically as far as I can see both here and on dolby volume pages etc
I must confess I'm not clear whether it was dolby volume/leveller or audio compression or both that the FMJ series did not allow you to use with DIRAC. I ask bc it is the single most useful feature for me for much of my listening (kids asleep, terrace house) etc on my Denons. My NAD with Dirac allows its version of the above but it is waaaay less effective than Denon/Audessey - so much so that its close to hard to detect (NAD confirmed it works but is quite subtle).

goatlips

Question, the mic supplied by arcam in the box, do I need a calibration file for it??

fatboy frank

Yes this year's manual reads identically as far as I can see both here and on dolby volume pages etc
I must confess I'm not clear whether it was dolby volume/leveller or audio compression or both that the FMJ series did not allow you to use with DIRAC. I ask bc it is the single most useful feature for me for much of my listening (kids asleep, terrace house) etc on my Denons. My NAD with Dirac allows its version of the above but it is waaaay less effective than Denon/Audessey - so much so that its close to hard to detect (NAD confirmed it works but is quite subtle).
Definitely the Dolby Volume feature set was/is disabled in the FMJ series when Dirac is enabled although i'm not sure about the Audio compression feature, as i mentioned in my previous reply i have never actually noticed it as a selectable option as it's always been "greyed out" having said that, it's not something i have really looked at, and as mentioned, it depends on the "source material" being Dolby/DTS.

fatboy frank

Question, the mic supplied by arcam in the box, do I need a calibration file for it??
Yes as far as i am aware you do need a cal file, which is why it is provided on Arcam's site here: https://www.arcam.co.uk/products,HDA,AV-Processor,AV40.htm#downloads
As pointed out though, a better calibrated Mic would be preferable than what Arcam provides in the box.

It just so happens i am thinking about listing my UMIK-1 in the classifieds if you or anyone else is interested :D

Last edited:

goatlips

fatboy frank

Bit confusing....
Not really, all the instructions are there in your screenshot

As per my last post Arcam provide the required Mic Calibration & Target Files

goatlips

gibbsy

How much do you want for it?
Questions about buying and selling has to be asked in the classifieds, not here please if you take it any further.

drillo

Definitely the Dolby Volume feature set was/is disabled in the FMJ series when Dirac is enabled although i'm not sure about the Audio compression feature, as i mentioned in my previous reply i have never actually noticed it as a selectable option as it's always been "greyed out" having said that, it's not something i have really looked at, and as mentioned, it depends on the "source material" being Dolby/DTS.
Thanks v helpful
So despite having identical passages in the manual it appears as if the HDA range permit Dolby volume in conjunction with Dirac as per Goatlips post 1,110.
I wonder if yours is invariably greyed out bc you always run Dirac and that eliminates the option.

fatboy frank

Thanks v helpful
So despite having identical passages in the manual it appears as if the HDA range permit Dolby volume in conjunction with Dirac as per Goatlips post 1,110.
I wonder if yours is invariably greyed out bc you always run Dirac and that eliminates the option.
I seem to remember when Arcam were asked about the Dolby Volume, they said something like "It conflicted with what Dirac was doing" hence why not available ..... which kind of makes sense to me, as for the Audio Compression, i'm afraid i have no idea but you are possibly correct, as i very rarely use it without Dirac enabled.

Last edited:

drillo

I seem to remember when Arcam were asked about the Dolby Volume, they said something like "It conflicted with what Dirac was doing" hence why not available ..... which kind of makes sense to me, as for the Audio Compression, i'm afraid i have no idea but you are possibly correct, as i very rarely use it without Dirac enabled.
I'm not saying they are wrong but:
- they have form in saying thing's for their convenience (bass management on FMJ's)
- NAD manage it with DIRAC
If nothing else it would help if their manual didn't remain silent on such things

mitch1922

I’ve just used dirac for the first time....has anyone else found the subs are way to loud. They are about 10db to loud according to REW