New Arcam AVR's

goatlips

Didn't arcam make a hardware change for hdmi hum... someone said recently but cannot remember who??

Didn't arcam make a hardware change for hdmi hum... someone said recently but cannot remember who??

Interesting. I thought it was just for the XLR outputs. I may need to make some enquiries with my dealer. Then again prior to purchase I had assurances from Arcam that there were no hardware issues and all problems were fixable in firmware. Maybe a hardware issue that isn't a failure is my get out of Arcam clause.........

I used to use XLRs and recently switched to RCA which combined with Dirac dropping all my levels has meant I now have to turn up the volume by quite a bit which has really exacerbated my problem. Before it was barely noticeable and now it is clearly audible over all but the loudest of moments which only last for a few seconds. It is effectively unusable now hence my attempts to find a root cause as I don't think hiding the issue by going back to XLR and turning off Dirac should be an option.

goatlips

@Gaz6022 was it you that had this issue??

Bachemar

I now have to turn up the volume by quite a bit which has really exacerbated my problem
If the hum is volume dependent, it may not be ground loop, but possibly something else.

Try experimenting by removing other connections to your system - subwoofer cable. IR cable, 12V trigger etc. sometimes these problems manifest in weird ways.

anteranz

I love denon what I miss for its reliability and it sounds great .. and I did not have a cheap denon since I have had the x8500h ship and it was magical and I was happy with it for two years and it cost me to part with it because I knew that by switching to arcam He would have many headaches because he knew of his mistakes! But the arcam in my opinion sounds a little better / different from the denon ... both are very sharp and the central one is tengible in both brands in power they are very even but dirac makes a difference and today I cannot explain how denon in his High-end continues to offer you the same cardboard eq and tripod, otherwise denon knows how to build better avr than arcam and its construction and reliability prove it.

anteranz

My first unit hummed a lot but it was the toroidal one, it was heard at 2 meters and I asked for a replacement and the second unit barely sounds but I have noticed that sometimes I hear a small but slight hum and it disappears ... what I do notice is that it gets hot enough for the area of the hdmi plate yours too?

Zarf2007

My understanding is that 5.1.4 with upfiring speakers is not currently supported (7.1.4 with upfiring speakers is OK). Arcam will likely add support for this but current timeline is firmware after next so not for a while.
Ah ok that makes sense. If I recall in the FMJ series these were categorised as “Dolby surr back” which I used to power from my amp through the height 2 pre-out. Hopefully they will add this soon but no big deal dropping to 5.1.2 for a while.

D

Deleted member 39241

Ah ok that makes sense. If I recall in the FMJ series these were categorised as “Dolby surr back” which I used to power from my amp through the height 2 pre-out. Hopefully they will add this soon but no big deal dropping to 5.1.2 for a while.
Rather than miss out, could you temporarily configure them as ceiling speakers, would that work in the amp assign options?

Zarf2007

Rather than miss out, could you temporarily configure them as ceiling speakers, would that work in the amp assign options?
I think that would work but then all 4 would have to be assigned like that and not sure if that would give a good atmos effect.

anteranz

Hello, what would be the best function to listen to 2.1 stereo music? if I choose left / right it leaves them in fullrange and if I choose left / right + sub it would also leave them in fullrange plus subwoofer ... sat + sub? I have the boxes cut into small and 80hz since they are monitors and they do not go down that much.

goatlips

As speaker types...

Kacknasae

Standard Member
Hi, I am wondering if I understand the issue with the combination of 5.1.4. When I have Atmosspeakers from the top then would my setup in my Arcam correct? And channel 15/16 does only apply if I have set dolby enabled instead of top?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• CapturFiles.png
    CapturFiles.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 27

marcos1975

Hi, I am wondering if I understand the issue with the combination of 5.1.4. When I have Atmosspeakers from the top then would my setup in my Arcam correct? And channel 15/16 does only apply if I have set dolby enabled instead of top?

Thanks in advance...
your speakers configuration looks correct to me for 5.1.4 , that is if your atmos speakers are normal tradtional speakers that are installed in/on the ceiling/over head.
channel 15/16 got nothing to do whether the speakers type is dolby enabled or not, they can be assigned as middle height/CH&TS/subs.

piluja

Hello everyone I do not know if this will happen to someone else but I have a friend with an arcam avr 30 configured in 7.16 and yesterday doing tests he realized that the central atmos does not sound with dolby atmos or with dts x however it puts the pink noise in the av and if it sounds someone is aware of this problem? a greeting

Ettore

Hello everyone, as I increase the knowledge of my AVR20 I appreciate its sound qualities, but I also discover some small bugs, which I do not know if it has already been reported previously or not.
The first and most important bug I discovered today is about the filter slope setting in the Speakers menu. By default it's set to 12dB, but even changing it to any other setting (6dB, 24dB or 48dB) doesn't change anything. I checked with REW, and this happens both with Dirac Off and with any Dirac filter activated (created with both Upmix only and/or Bass Control Off). Has anyone else verified the same thing? Do you know if Arcam is aware of the problem, and is working to fix it?
The other little bug I discovered is less important, and a little tricky to explain for me as I don't know English perfectly...
So... if you change any setting in the Speakers menu after performing Dirac, you can no longer use the remote's Audio button to select the loaded Dirac filters. The Audio button, in that case, will only function to turn off EQ, but will no longer enable the three Dirac filters loaded in the AVR. This will only be possible through the web interface.
It's a very strange thing, but I checked it this afternoon: when I ran Dirac the speakers were set to 80Hz in the AVR's menu. I created two filters with Upmix Only and a filter with Bass Control Off, just to be able to do some tests with REW by setting different crossover values to compare. Except that when I changed the crossover in the AVR to 90Hz, I was no longer able to use the remote to reactivate the Dirac filter. Out of curiosity I tried to do it from the Web Interface, and I found that in that way there was no problem activating the three Dirac filters. Once I returned the value of 80Hz to the Speakers menu, the Audio button on the remote also started working perfectly again, allowing me to switch from one Dirac filter to another.
Ettore

goatlips

Hello everyone, as I increase the knowledge of my AVR20 I appreciate its sound qualities, but I also discover some small bugs, which I do not know if it has already been reported previously or not.
The first and most important bug I discovered today is about the filter slope setting in the Speakers menu. By default it's set to 12dB, but even changing it to any other setting (6dB, 24dB or 48dB) doesn't change anything. I checked with REW, and this happens both with Dirac Off and with any Dirac filter activated (created with both Upmix only and/or Bass Control Off). Has anyone else verified the same thing? Do you know if Arcam is aware of the problem, and is working to fix it?
The other little bug I discovered is less important, and a little tricky to explain for me as I don't know English perfectly...
So... if you change any setting in the Speakers menu after performing Dirac, you can no longer use the remote's Audio button to select the loaded Dirac filters. The Audio button, in that case, will only function to turn off EQ, but will no longer enable the three Dirac filters loaded in the AVR. This will only be possible through the web interface.
It's a very strange thing, but I checked it this afternoon: when I ran Dirac the speakers were set to 80Hz in the AVR's menu. I created two filters with Upmix Only and a filter with Bass Control Off, just to be able to do some tests with REW by setting different crossover values to compare. Except that when I changed the crossover in the AVR to 90Hz, I was no longer able to use the remote to reactivate the Dirac filter. Out of curiosity I tried to do it from the Web Interface, and I found that in that way there was no problem activating the three Dirac filters. Once I returned the value of 80Hz to the Speakers menu, the Audio button on the remote also started working perfectly again, allowing me to switch from one Dirac filter to another.
Ettore
Re filter slope, it has been noted for sometime that it has not been working.

Re changing the crossover after dirac calibration, that is normal behaviour too.

CaroleBaskin

Thanks in advance...
According to Arcam your setup is incorrect (as mine was) height back is not correct in a 5.x.x setup since you have only side and front channels. Setting the rear to middle heights and all to Dolby enabled will give you a different measurement tone in Dirac too. Be aware of the bug I mentioned earlier when setting the options… It made a massive difference to the Atmos effect in my setup.

CaroleBaskin

your speakers configuration looks correct to me for 5.1.4 , that is if your atmos speakers are normal tradtional speakers that are installed in/on the ceiling/over head.
channel 15/16 got nothing to do whether the speakers type is dolby enabled or not, they can be assigned as middle height/CH&TS/subs.
Almost… channel 15/16 will enable all heights in a 5.x.x setup to be Dolby enabled. If you incorrectly designate those speakers as rear heights in a 5.x.x setup you will find only Top is available. It behaves this way because it expects height front AND height back to be exclusive to 7.x.x and above. Middle channels are the correct layout for rear most Atmos speakers in a 5.x.x setup.

Krobar

Thanks in advance...

Your config is correct. Setting Channels 15/16 is not correct for Dolby enabled speakers either but is the best Dolby Enabled users can do until 5.1.4 for upfiring speakers is properly implemented.

Ettore

Re filter slope, it has been noted for sometime that it has not been working.
Thanks for the reply. I was not sure I have read about this problem before. The point, however, is: should it be reported to Arcam, so that they can work to solve it in a future firmware update, or is the problem already in the list of those they have to solve?
Re changing the crossover after dirac calibration, that is normal behaviour too.
I beg your pardon, but I don't think I have understood correctly here. Is it normal that it does not work via the remote control, while it works via the web interface? Because if it does not work in either way it could also be a "normal" choice of Arcam (even if still illogical: why not allow the use of a Dirac filter created specifically for use together with the crossovers set in the AVR?) , but as I said the only thing not working in this case is the Audio button of the remote. From the web interface you can easily set all three Dirac filters loaded into the AVR...
Ettore

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors