New Arcam AVR's

Jonny80

Novice Member
I have already done a double reset, following the Arcam support instructions posted a little above by another forumer (first reset from the menu item, second reset via the Info + Zone button on the AVR's front panel. This allowed the AVR to work smoother in the normal signal locking of the various sources, but it did not change anything regarding the video passthrough with the AVR in standby mode. And this is the same with all the sources I have tried: SAT, GAME (PS4) and BD.
Other than you, having trouble streaming audio and HDMI handshaking (so a different problem than mine), there is no one else who can confirm to me that video passthrough is working properly in his HDA AVR, without turning off the video signal after about (at most) forty minutes, leaving only the audio signal on?
Ettore
I can confirm that, it works, Sat working audio and Video when my AV40 is on standby, i try other inputs after work

Ettore

Standard Member
I can confirm that, it works, Sat working audio and Video when my AV40 is on standby, i try other inputs after work
Thank you very much! I recommend, leave the source playing even for an hour, because in my case the video signal is sometimes disconnected in a few minutes, others after more time. In any case, my dealer has already reported the problem to the Italian importer, who, having never had similar reports, I believe will hear Arcam directly. It looks like it might be a problem specific to my unit...
Ettore

Ettore

Standard Member
If I switch on my tv with the AVR in standby I get this randomly.
These, in my experience, appear to be HDMI handshaking issues, due to faulty cables or incorrect settings in the sources / AVR / display. If you are certain that it is not the cables, and that each CEC / HDMI setting is correct both in the sources and in the AVR / Display, it is usually enough to unplug all the electronics for a few minutes, then leave them in standby for a while before turning them on, so that correct communication between the HDMI EDIDs is re-established.
Before trying the passthrough operation, however, I recommend that you first turn on all the electronics in the correct order (Display> AVR> Source), to establish correct initial operation. And if everything works fine, only then you can turn the AVR off, leaving the Source and Display active, and getting the signal in passthrough.
Ettore

goatlips

I dont agree with that, you try and tell my family and kids that!

I've always that this issue. Maybe a month ago we had a conversation if the STB input was actually 4k ready. This has only started happening from that point and when I first got the AVR. I used to have my sky box connected directly to the tv and used audio pass though. This was fine but I had awful lip sync issues. Now that I have sky directly to the STB input I've had nothing but issues. I have raised this to my dealer and I'm waiting for a response....

Ettore

Standard Member
I dont agree with that, you try and tell my family and kids that!

I've always that this issue. Maybe a month ago we had a conversation if the STB input was actually 4k ready. This has only started happening from that point and when I first got the AVR. I used to have my sky box connected directly to the tv and used audio pass though. This was fine but I had awful lip sync issues. Now that I have sky directly to the STB input I've had nothing but issues. I have raised this to my dealer and I'm waiting for a response....
All the HDMI inputs of the AVR are 2.0b and use the same input circuit, it is clearly written in the user manual, so they all accept 4K signals. For the rest, I perfectly understand the needs of the family, they are the same as mine. Wife and children use plasma and AVR to see SKY and use the PS4... but turn the HDMI electronics on and off in the correct order, respecting the turn-on times of each to ensure that the signal is locked correctly (so how to disconnect the power every time you change any HDMI setting) is absolutely necessary, so much so that many manufacturers also clearly indicate this in their manuals. It's inconvenient, of course, but it's the only way to hope to get everything working properly in this digital age...
Ettore

CaroleBaskin

If I switch on my tv with the AVR in standby I get this randomly.
I think you changed your standby power settings a couple of pages back. Could this ‘new’ behaviour be linked to that change and is causing resolution issues between standby sources and your TV? I’d try reverting the setting, then try changing your HDMI bypass source.

20D763A1-1467-4C13-9429-83079895F315.jpeg

goatlips

I think you changed your standby power settings a couple of pages back. Could this ‘new’ behaviour be linked to that change and is causing resolution issues between standby sources and your TV? I’d try reverting the setting, then try changing your HDMI bypass source.

View attachment 1465477
Sort of lost me there...I need HDMI &IP ON... HDMI bypass source STB.

Ettore

Standard Member
Another perhaps trivial question: is it possible to reinstall the fw via USB, even if it is the same onboard version? That is, if the AVR is already updated to 1.44, can I do a new installation via USB? I would also like to try this route, in case the previous installation was not successful...
Ettore

Krobar

Another perhaps trivial question: is it possible to reinstall the fw via USB, even if it is the same onboard version? That is, if the AVR is already updated to 1.44, can I do a new installation via USB? I would also like to try this route, in case the previous installation was not successful...
Ettore

Yes, you can do that. Obviously it will reset all of the settings.

Ettore

Standard Member
Yes, you can do that. Obviously it will reset all of the settings.
I'll take care of it tonight. I want to try every way before sending the AVR to service for a check, and I have found that configuring the AVR from scratch via the web interface is really convenient, as well as fast enough. Anyway, I know that my problem has been reported to Arcam, and I have just given them some information about my display, the sources that have the problem and related video signals. Fingers crossed...
Ettore

goatlips

I've just heard from arcam asking me to swap hdmi ports without effect. It's ok with my bd player. arcam and sky Q have a definite handshake issue.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I've just heard from arcam asking me to swap hdmi ports without effect. It's ok with my bd player. arcam and sky Q have a definite handshake issue.
I have seen a lot of posts lately with people having handshake issues with Sky Q boxes, using a range of different AVRs. Might be a sky box issue?

goatlips

I have seen a lot of posts lately with people having handshake issues with Sky Q boxes, using a range of different AVRs. Might be a sky box issue?
Surely I have have an issue connected directly to my tv?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Surely I have have an issue connected directly to my tv?
Maybe not, I've seen very similar reports elsewhere. I don't have Sky so can't really help you, but if you Google it there are many reports over the last few months.

goatlips

Need some advice, my dealer has offered to sent it back to arcam for repair...?

Your views please?

johnburn

Need some advice, my dealer has offered to sent it back to arcam for repair...?

Your views please?

Sky boxes are pretty notorious for being utter junk and causing lots of issues. They have always been problematic. I doubt there's anything wrong with the Arcam - if it was a fault I'd imagine anything plugged into that port would have issues.

Maybe ask sky for a replacement box first? Perhaps they have a later generation available.

Have you also made sure on the sky box you have the following set?

HDMI to Dolby Digital
Optical to Normal

goatlips

Sky boxes are pretty notorious for being utter junk and causing lots of issues. They have always been problematic. I doubt there's anything wrong with the Arcam - if it was a fault I'd imagine anything plugged into that port would have issues.

Maybe ask sky for a replacement box first? Perhaps they have a later generation available.

Have you also made sure on the sky box you have the following set?

HDMI to Dolby Digital
Optical to Normal
I could do, it was only installed 3 months ago

goatlips

Ooh the crap issues with this avr just keeps on coming in.

Massive distortion on all channels and sources. Started last night. Reset carried out without effect.

CaroleBaskin

Ooh the crap issues with this avr just keeps on coming in.

Massive distortion on all channels and sources. Started last night. Reset carried out without effect.

I agree with John, Q boxes are notoriously poor for HDMI issues, but something tells me that between the streaming issues (Mine has been solid on 1.44, but I appreciate some are having issues), the Q handshake issues via the AVR and now the distortion... seems like it could very well be hardware issues and not entirely the Q box.

Have you tried going down to 1.42 and back up to see if the issues can be reproduced afterwards? I have a link if you need one.

goatlips

I agree with John, Q boxes are notoriously poor for HDMI issues, but something tells me that between the streaming issues (Mine has been solid on 1.44, but I appreciate some are having issues), the Q handshake issues via the AVR and now the distortion... seems like it could very well be hardware issues and not entirely the Q box.

Have you tried going down to 1.42 and back up to see if the issues can be reproduced afterwards? I have a link if you need one.
No mate I'm done with it. Going to arcam for repair or replacement I have had a year of this bullsh*t.

Attachments

• 20210224_160337.jpg
    20210224_160337.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

goatlips

Have Arcam said how long the turnaround will be? It was back up to 8-10 weeks the last time my dealer checked.
Peter tyson said up to 4 weeks but lately has been 7 days. They are pushing arcam for a new replacement...

Ettore

Standard Member
I also suspect that it is a hardware problem for me too: I thoroughly investigated the problem of sending the video signal to my display (a Panasonic PDP 55VT60, therefore simple 1080p), and I realized that the passthrough block is not THE problem, but only a consequence of the problem. Basically, something leads to the AVR20's output video being turned off after putting it into standby. Just wait a bit, and at that point if you were using the AVR in passthrough the video disappears (letting the audio pass instead), but even if you were not using the passthrough function when the AVR was first turned on it is impossible to have the video signal in the plasma. You only have the audio, but the screen is black, and there is no way to solve even switching between inputs. The AVR is really blocked, in fact it doesn't even automatically switch to the Display input, when I set a TV channel via the plasma remote control, it's just as if the HDMI video card is blocked. And this happens even if I turn off the CEC completely in both the AVR, the sources and the plasma. So it is not even a question of communication problems between the various HDMI EDIDs of the electronics involved.
The only way to unlock the video signal is to power cycle the AVR, or to reset to factory. Even browsing for a few seconds in the menu on the front panel, using the appropriate MENU key, seems to be useful, but I want to verify it with certainty, since it could also be just a coincidence (I discovered it a little while ago, but I want to repeat the test at next AVR block).
Of course, if ARCAM's assistance times are those you have indicated above, for me who am in Italy they will be even longer ... and having a real replacement I think it will be difficult for me...
Ettore

goatlips

Of course, if ARCAM's assistance times are those you have indicated above, for me who am in Italy they will be even longer ... and having a real replacement I think it will be difficult for me...
Ettore

If I understand this correctly this is a new purchase??

Why don't you return it and get a new replacement?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published