New Arcam AVR's

Krobar

The UK Home Cinema Choice magazine reprinted their AVR30 review as part of their Jan 2021 best buy issue.

The review was subtly changed from the original:
Original - "there's no DTS:X Pro support,"
Updated review - "there's no DTS:X Pro support yet,"

This is a pretty strong hint that DTS:X Pro is indeed coming for the current Arcam/JBL Synth/Audiocontrol models IMHO.

kinda

Novice Member
Hi. Hoping for advice from current owners please.

Can't demo at moment but looking to upgrade my av amp and am really keen on Arcam, probably avr20 due to sound quality.

However I'm aware there are many issues and while I'm happy to spend some time on the amp I don't have time to continuously mess with it, install firmware, and report bugs. It's also hard to gauge the severity of the issues so I'm not sure how useable the amp is.

What I'd like to ask is as owners can you just set up, use and enjoy the amp in a normal way without constant issues and does the sound quality make it all worthwhile?

Or would I be better looking at something else like Denon X6700h or similar that seem to have less ongoing problems.

Please if you can give me the benefit of your experience would be much appreciated.

goatlips

Hi. Hoping for advice from current owners please.

Can't demo at moment but looking to upgrade my av amp and am really keen on Arcam, probably avr20 due to sound quality.

However I'm aware there are many issues and while I'm happy to spend some time on the amp I don't have time to continuously mess with it, install firmware, and report bugs. It's also hard to gauge the severity of the issues so I'm not sure how useable the amp is.

What I'd like to ask is as owners can you just set up, use and enjoy the amp in a normal way without constant issues and does the sound quality make it all worthwhile?

Or would I be better looking at something else like Denon X6700h or similar that seem to have less ongoing problems.

Please if you can give me the benefit of your experience would be much appreciated.

I've got an AVR20 and it's great and very much stable now, the only issue I have it sometimes drops spotify connection, that's all I've got to report and arcam are currently looking into it.

Only 2x other things, waiting for Roon certification which is due any day and DTS x pro they are looking into.

kinda

Novice Member
Another hopefully quick ask please:

I've noted the bass management is extra and pretty expensive. Is getting this essential to good sound quality?

When adding further amplifiers can I replace say front 3 with external amp and reassign their internal amps to other speakers?

Can the amp connect to Bluetooth headphones or dies it just accept Bluetooth as a music source?

Had a look through the manual but it's quite short and I'm not clear on these points. Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

goatlips

Another hopefully quick ask please:

I've noted the bass management is extra and pretty expensive. Is getting this essential to good sound quality?

When adding further amplifiers can I replace say front 3 with external amp and reassign their internal amps to other speakers?

Can the amp connect to Bluetooth headphones or dies it just accept Bluetooth as a music source?

Had a look through the manual but it's quite short and I'm not clear on these points. Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Yes the extra bass management is expensive, you'll need that for multi sub, and it will do its magic on a single sub, if you want dirac to take full control.

Yes you can add extra PA amps, but u cannot reassign the internal amps.

No to bluetooth headphones

turk182

Just came down with a bad case of upgraditis, hope just have to take two of these (s1512) and I will be fine in the morning :rotfl: 20210115_225724.jpg

turk182

Comparing the bk xxl400 d/f to the psa s1512
20210115_230508.jpg20210115_230831.jpg

Last edited:

kinda

Novice Member
Hi,
Still trying to decide on if I should go for one of these with no demo and hope someone can answer another quick query please.

This would initially replace my current avr in a living room and go to more of a cinema room as we extend in a couple of years.

In the living room I won't just be able to run it full tilt so it needs some dynamic compression / volume.

I've noted in the Arcam manual there is only one mention of this with a source setting of dynamic compression equals midnight.

I'm wondering does this work well and are there any other settings / configuration that help with this, maybe through Dirac?

Please if you let me know of your experience that would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Ian.

goatlips

I'm not convinced the midnight function even works as I hear no audible difference.

The movie setting in Dolby surround works great for tv and Netflix viewing.

I dont know your location, but if there was no lockdown etc I would be happy to demo it for you.

I'm only running 5.1 which seems a waste of s 16ch receiver, but I do plan to upgrade to 5.2.1 later. I am thinking about selling my AVR20 for an avr40.

Krobar

Hi,
Still trying to decide on if I should go for one of these with no demo and hope someone can answer another quick query please.

This would initially replace my current avr in a living room and go to more of a cinema room as we extend in a couple of years.

In the living room I won't just be able to run it full tilt so it needs some dynamic compression / volume.

I've noted in the Arcam manual there is only one mention of this with a source setting of dynamic compression equals midnight.

I'm wondering does this work well and are there any other settings / configuration that help with this, maybe through Dirac?

Please if you let me know of your experience that would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Ian.

The Arcams offer these modes (Dont worry about it being JBL Synth it is identical to Arcam):

In the current firmware the Night and Music modes are literally the only feature which is not working.

Arcam have been bug fixing since the September firmware and this is why things are finally stable. I suspect they will take up feature work (ie. the modes) soon as the bug list is looking relatively short now. If you aren't in a hurry to change receiver it might be worth an email to Arcam to ask when these two modes will be made functional.

goatlips

Well I've spent all day trying to connect my device to the AVR, my mrs iphone connects immediately but with no audio. I restarted my phone then connects, again without audio....🙄

I've managed to get a video, can we attach them on here?

Krobar

Well I've spent all day trying to connect my device to the AVR, my mrs iphone connects immediately but with no audio. I restarted my phone then connects, again without audio....🙄

What changed?

marcos1975

on your iphone under bluetooth devices, check to see if the Audio transmission option are still enable for the Arcam device, sometime this setting gets messed up for no obvious reason.

goatlips

on your iphone under bluetooth devices, check to see if the Audio transmission option are still enable for the Arcam device, sometime this setting gets messed up for no obvious reason.

I've not paired my device to bluetooth??

goatlips

No I'm using google chromecast.

goatlips

Try changing the device name in the web page.

I don't understand? I'm using the Net input. I dont want to change the input name. I just have difficulty to connect to it lately and when I finally do I randomly get no audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Apple launches new M1 powered iMac for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple introduces new Apple TV 4K with High Frame Rate HDR support
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Audio announces Crestron Home driver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces upgrades to 14 and 15 Series amplifiers