New Arcam AVR's

goatlips

Guess I've gotten used to using the browser to update all the settings, seems easier somehow!
I dont like the browser, never sure it actually accepts the settings.

dave1956a

I guess I am getting old but I think the old way of tv GUI was better. so it looks old on the FMJ's so what ? who looks at a gui all day, once it is set up watch the film.

Krobar

Agreed and appreciate there's a control on the avr control page, but it's not (yet) on the music control page, it would just seem logical having it in situ for when playing music to have it on the same page vs having to navigate to the home screen, then to the avr control, then back to the home page, then back to the music control page to then find it's lost control of what was playing :eek: :rolleyes:
Unlike the more than 2 lines of OSD (IMHO alot of effort at this stage) adding a volume control here should just be a couple of hours work for a web developer, have you asked Arcam?

goatlips

I guess I am getting old but I think the old way of tv GUI was better. so it looks old on the FMJ's so what ? who looks at a gui all day, once it is set up watch the film.
Yes tbh my last use of web was in earlier firmware, just not used it since.

piluja

Standard Member
Hi all on Monday I leave the arcam avr 20 order I buy it knowing the failures it gives or has and hoping that they can solve them so I hope I do not regret it and enjoy it

mitch1922

Watched a couple of films on my AV40 today, sounded top notch. Seems like I’m one of the lucky ones with no issues.

Benny44K

Standard Member
Hi all,
I am about to start a new round of Dirac measurements.
Do you use for your measurements with the UMIK-1 microphone the foam wind screen or do you measure without?

Secondly I saw already so many videos On how to use Dirac, is there one we believe is the best?

Thanks!

goatlips

Hi all,
I am about to start a new round of Dirac measurements.
Do you use for your measurements with the UMIK-1 microphone the foam wind screen or do you measure without?

Secondly I saw already so many videos On how to use Dirac, is there one we believe is the best?

Thanks!
The wind sock is not required. Do you have a mic stand/boom. Dont be holding the mic!

spleach

Standard Member
Good to know it works for you, If you are on safari am I right in thinking you use mac os? maybe those who have had problems are on windows. mind you I have seen it said the os in the avr's is linux and mac os is a lot closer to linux than windows so maybe all round the avr's (and maybe Dirac) are best used with mac os not windows
Just caught up with the last few days of comments, and wanted to add my two cents to the experience of using the web client. Overall I find changing settings works fine now, but the web client is very primitive. I agree adding a volume control would be both simple to implement (they've already added the necessary code to the Setup->AVR Control page), and very handy.

I have a Macbook and an Android phone, and each have their own unique problems. When using the webclient to play music from Tidal, this is my short list of gripes.

General Gripes / Issues
  • Why not show artist names, along with album names? A long list of only album names, with no artist names, is meaningless.
  • The Album art in lists should be bigger.
Macbook Issues (using Opera)
  • When browsing long lists of content, I find that scrolling is overly sensitive. I try and scroll a few lines, and it will shoot down dozens.
Android Issues (using Chrome)
  • None of the text forms work. Try and search for something in Android. Doesn't work. The search box appears and then instantly disappears. This is rookie coding. The same goes for the user name and password fields when signing in for the first time after a firmware update.
Complaining on here isn't necessarily the most constructive thing to do. This should be fed back to Arcam, which I admit I haven't done... :blush:

The now-functional Android app (MusicLife) solves all the above issues on my phone. It shows album art nicely, artist names below album names, and has all the controls you could want. This being the case, I don't get why they don't have the same (or similar) interface on the web client. Android apps are (or can be) largely html based, so I would have thought a lot of the MusicLife design could be shared with the the web client.

Actually, just looking at the code for the music player page. They've actually implemented a volume slider, but they hide it on any models with a modelName containing 'AV', 'SD', or 'X'. Using Web Dev tools, I can show this, so I've attached a screenshot of what the volume slider would look like, if they didn't hide it (just above the Play button). Presumably it doesn't work, which is why they hide it... Will test later and report back. If it does work, it would be trivial to write a web page that doesn't hide the volume controller, and maybe includes some extra CSS to make the album art larger.

Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 09.21.43.png

piluja

Standard Member
Hello Tomorrow I buy my arcam avr20, even knowing the problems they have had and what still persists, I think it is a good av and that when they solve all the problems (they have already solved many) it will be a reference av, criticize arcam quite a bit, for these new avs that in my opinion came out halfway and still, I'm going to buy it. I think it will be a reference, moreover, many people who have it are very happy even with the problems that still exist, I hope I'm not wrong Greetings

Timme

Hello Tomorrow I buy my arcam avr20, even knowing the problems they have had and what still persists, I think it is a good av and that when they solve all the problems (they have already solved many) it will be a reference av, criticize arcam quite a bit, for these new avs that in my opinion came out halfway and still, I'm going to buy it. I think it will be a reference, moreover, many people who have it are very happy even with the problems that still exist, I hope I'm not wrong Greetings
good luck with it! I hope it works for you! The sound is truly fantastic

Marco1971

Standard Member
Watched a couple of films on my AV40 today, sounded top notch. Seems like I’m one of the lucky ones with no issues.
About our ads

You may also like

Did you watch with Dirac Live BC?
Do you have the mult sub upgrade.
Because I read with the multi sub are no problems.
I have the Arcam AVR 30 with Dirac live BC one sub and have many problems with Dirac Live

Last edited:

mitch1922

About our ads

You may also like

Did you watch with Dirac Live BC?
Do you have the mult sub upgrade.
Because I read with the multi sub are no problems.
I have the Arcam AVR 30 with Dirac live BC one sub and have many problems with Dirac Live

Yes i have Multi sub, I can’t find any issues with BC my end or any other problems, the only problem I really had was when Dirac was first implemented and i had slight distortion on some songs.

im over the moon with my AV40 I’m glad I ditched my AVM60

Marco1971

Standard Member
Thank you for the answer.
The problem dat i have with Dirac Live BC is when I use it I hear almost no bass.
And when I switch off Dirac ive BC I do have the bass present. This problem is known to Dirac and Arcam just cannot understand that we still have no update after 5 weeks.

mitch1922

I can well understand your frustration having to wait more than 5 weeks for an update. Let’s hope the extra wait is due to testing before releasing a load of nonsense, I might call them tomorrow to find out what’s going on.

mitch1922

Hi all,
what is the most preferred target curves you use for your speakers?
I follow the voicing of my speakers, for me the Harman Target curve robs speakers of their identity

mitch1922

Agreed & with you there - tweaking to natural speaker response is a bit hard to describe. It would be good if the Dirac software could automate this part a bit more.
I remember running Dirac the first time with the default curve and my MK s300 sounded bloody awful. They lost sparkle and snap/bite with gunshots...

Attachments

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Latest News

McIntosh and Sonus faber unite under Fine Sounds Distribution in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches 4349 Studio Monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display next generation OLEDs showcased at SID 2020