New Arcam AVR's

Bachemar

The only way to tell if BC is working or not is by measuring the response with REW.

to simplify - if we assume a single sub, 80 Hz crossover, and flat target curve. Your response should be flat from 20-60 Hz (normal Dirac) Without BC there will be peaks and nulls between 60-120 (crossover region) And then flat again after 120 Hz ((normal Dirac). BC simply optimizes or flattens out that 60-120 Hz region.

Now you cannot hear nulls and by being narrow, you don’t notice the missing content. Peaks on the other hand will naturally stand out by being louder. So when this flattens out, the perception is always lower or thinner bass.

I highly recommend installing REW, and doing the following measurements of the L+R speakers in stereo mode (with subs)
1. No Dirac - Just L+R signal in stereo (with subs) mode
2. Dirac - with BC set to Off (Now Arcam is doing the crossover Bass management)
3. Dirac with Upmix only
4. Dirac with full BC

If the response is not incrementally improving (flatter and/or narrower dips) - it’s time to contact Dirac.

Last edited:

Anthony-Howard

Sorry guys, but while you continue to buy the new Arcam range, keep them and then put up with all the updates, neither Arcam or Harman or Samsung will care what you think or any petitions you raise. The only way to ever get any real action on this kind of behaviour is to either punish them in terms of sales (usually via dealers dropping them) or to take them to court for selling a product unfit for purpose. It's probably too late for many of you to return them now I suspect. :(
Completely agree. Nothing to be sorry about as never a truer word has been said!

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Completely agree. Nothing to be sorry about as never a truer word has been said!
It was really a sympathy vote as the difficulties I've read in this thread are troubling to say the least. Also, when I said "put up with all the updates", I really meant "put up with all the issues" as updates are par for the course with any software based product. I genuinely feel for all the users in this thread that have parted with wads of serious money.

Bachemar

Yes bloody great idea. Arcam take note, this should be a freebie for your unfinished product!!

And the bloody cheek to charge us $500 for BM that still doesnt work!
Perhaps we should set up a petition and then barrage them with a list of all the outstanding problems along with a link to it just so as they get the message!
Arcam can and should issue coupon codes for the BM module for all early adopters - This would great goodwill and publicity for Arcam as well.

Even if the coupon provided a discount (let’s say 50% off) it would be great gesture - and it would also help them assess how many customers truly want it (willing to pay) but were just not biting because of the price/bugs/sour early adopter experience

Timme

Good to know it works for you, If you are on safari am I right in thinking you use mac os? maybe those who have had problems are on windows. mind you I have seen it said the os in the avr's is linux and mac os is a lot closer to linux than windows so maybe all round the avr's (and maybe Dirac) are best used with mac os not windows
Interesting!

Yes I’m on MacOS and it works flawless. I can access it through my iPhone which is very nice

Timme

What have Dirac done with the bass?

I had a loaner system whilst waiting for all the Arcam kit to turn up.
AVR30 plus a PA720. Running Dirac 2.5 and firmware 1.28 the bass was spot on, tight and potent.

New kit arrived
AV40, PA720, 2 x PA240. Running latest Dirac 3 and firmware 1.34 the bass was absent in upmix mode and woolly and ill defined in off.

Have they deliberately crippled the bass in order to force people to upgrade?

Something’s off. Try to re run everything. I have amazing bass with 3.0.2 and 1.34

Dynky

Something’s off. Try to re run everything. I have amazing bass with 3.0.2 and 1.34
Same here, bass is great.
I did run a new set of measurements though, because when using an older project-set (saved in DL 3.0) I got some bizarre issues with delay being off on some channels.
After doing a complete new set of measurements all fell into place.

Timme

OK time for a factory reset and new measurements
I use upmix, 80hz crossover and 10db Harman curve for movies and 6db Harman for music

dlinsley

Standard Member
Same here. Currently with 1.34 and 3.02, all I get are click sounds when either trying to set levels or go to measurements. I don't get the whoooooooooop sounds I hear on some Youtube videos of Dirac (like this new one by Emotiva: ). Hopefully factory reset FTW. Regular content playback is very good.

Anthony-Howard

Anthony ...... you were expecting a firmware update this week. Only a day left to fulfil this?
Not I AdamAttewell is the man with the sources. We shall see how reliable they are.

Personally the length of time since the last update is cause for concern. I do hope they haven't decided there are hardware issues and that they have pretty much gone as far as they can. I would hate for us to be left in limbo until an announcement of HDA series 2/mk2 which looks almost the same but promises a number of mythical improvements to every area of their best selling and highly regarded HDA range. Improvements which they just couldn't provide through software but were so good they just couldn't deprive the world of them by not releasing a new unit but in reality is just a ruse to fix the hardware without having to do a recall.

Then again maybe I am just far to cynical and think/worry far, far too much!

dlinsley

Standard Member
I think being the basis of JBL Synthesis models means they really do have to get this right "soon". It's one reason why I felt a bit safer with my choice of the AV40, despite seeing the fallout from the earlier firmware versions.

Anthony-Howard

I think being the basis of JBL Synthesis models means they really do have to get this right "soon". It's one reason why I felt a bit safer with my choice of the AV40, despite seeing the fallout from the earlier firmware versions.
I sort of get where you are coming from but don't JBL really have an out though. It is widely known that Arcam is behind their latest processors so all they have to do is say it wasn't them and that they made a huge mistake with Arcam. Promise that they are working on something better but themselves this time and not relying on anyone else. As long as they offer a few promises of making it right for existing JBL owners then it's a PR nightmare but not an unrecoverable one. In the meantime the chumps who bought Arcam get to swing......

AdamAttewell

Not I AdamAttewell is the man with the sources. We shall see how reliable they are.

Personally the length of time since the last update is cause for concern. I do hope they haven't decided there are hardware issues and that they have pretty much gone as far as they can. I would hate for us to be left in limbo until an announcement of HDA series 2/mk2 which looks almost the same but promises a number of mythical improvements to every area of their best selling and highly regarded HDA range. Improvements which they just couldn't provide through software but were so good they just couldn't deprive the world of them by not releasing a new unit but in reality is just a ruse to fix the hardware without having to do a recall.

Then again maybe I am just far to cynical and think/worry far, far too much!
Last update I received they were deep into beta testing and things were looking positive.

I would much rather they take longer to properly test updates than be quick to release them & introduce more bugs in the process.

Only time will tell how much time & money they are willing to invest in getting these AVR's bug free & stable.

Anthony-Howard

Last update I received they were deep into beta testing and things were looking positive.

I would much rather they take longer to properly test updates than be quick to release them & introduce more bugs in the process.

Only time will tell how much time & money they are willing to invest in getting these AVR's bug free & stable.
No offence but they haven't exactly convinced anyone that they have a proper SDLC so why start now?

Besides there is some cynicism here as 1.34 was reported as coming within a week on here it took over two after that and still had problems. The same person stated that they were deep into testing 1.36 and also 1.38. Not that deep it seems.

As for things looking positive are they likely to say anything different? They have had plenty of time since this was released back in late 2019 I believe (Please correct me if I am wrong) so how much more time do they need? At what point is making statements like they can take longer to properly test things just apologising for them?

AdamAttewell

No offence but they haven't exactly convinced anyone that they have a proper SDLC so why start now?

Besides there is some cynicism here as 1.34 was reported as coming within a week on here it took over two after that and still had problems. The same person stated that they were deep into testing 1.36 and also 1.38. Not that deep it seems.

As for things looking positive are they likely to say anything different? They have had plenty of time since this was released back in late 2019 I believe (Please correct me if I am wrong) so how much more time do they need? At what point is making statements like they can take longer to properly test things just apologising for them?
You are preaching to the choir, have a look back over this thread & the FMJ thread at my posts (spanning years) & you will soon find that I have been most critical of Arcam & they way they treat their customer base.

I am only passing on information that I have been provided & am in no way defending them.

Being an FMJ owner & having to deal with much of the same the HDA owners have had to go through I can tell you how frustrating it is to install new firmware only to find it breaks more than it fixes & then needing to revert back to the previous version to make the product usable.

If they are going to "fix" all the bugs with the HDA range then I would rather they release stable firmware than just some hash job they threw together so they can say they are constantly releasing updates.

The launch of this range has been shambolic from the start & they show no signs of changing how they operate so like Steve says you either put up with it or vote with you wallet as they aren't going to listen any other way. I remember people telling me it was going to be all change now that that Harman group had acquire Arcam :rolleyes:

The warning signs were there from the start when these units were shipped to dealers in no fit state for the end user that Arcam was up to it usual tricks & a quick look at the FMJ thread at the time would have painted an ugly picture how Arcam conducted business in the past.

It's down to you as a person to decide if the way Arcam treats their customer base is acceptable or not.

dlinsley

Standard Member
Same here. Currently with 1.34 and 3.02, all I get are click sounds when either trying to set levels or go to measurements. I don't get the whoooooooooop sounds I hear on some Youtube videos of Dirac. Regular content playback is very good.
Success! I tried unplugging again, and no joy, but factory reset and then setting speaker types only fixed it. I now get the hiss for setting volume, and the whoops for measurement.

The hiss often takes the circle to be past the 6 o'clock position on the timer, before it comes out of the speakers - and sometimes it comes out of a bunch of speakers before moving to the selected speaker only. The measurements noises start straight away and from only the appropriate speaker too.

chordguy

This next firmware update is important to me, hence my impatience.
I've been unable to use Dirac in my system because Dirac wants to attenuate some of the speaker levels by more than 10 db and the AV40's max allowance is 10 db.
This results in my centre channel volume sounding low in relation to all the other speakers.
Updates are required to both Arcam and Dirac to resolve this.
I've been assured by Dirac that this issue will be fixed in Arcam's next firmware release and the next Dirac update.

Timme

This next firmware update is important to me, hence my impatience.
I've been unable to use Dirac in my system because Dirac wants to attenuate some of the speaker levels by more than 10 db and the AV40's max allowance is 10 db.
This results in my centre channel volume sounding low in relation to all the other speakers.
Updates are required to both Arcam and Dirac to resolve this.
I've been assured by Dirac that this issue will be fixed in Arcam's next firmware release and the next Dirac update.

What center and what Left/Right do you use? There is a quite big sensitivity gap between center and L/R if 10db is not enough

Gaz6022

That is NOT Dolby Volume\Leveler\Calibration!

Now, see if you can FIND these and ONLY these settings:
Dolby VOLUME: ON (On/off)
Dolby LEVELER: 3 (range 1-10)
Dolby CALIBRATION: + - offset acording to reference point 88 db

The original post I was replying to was asking where these 3 settings have gone because after a firmware update they are no longer available from what I can see on the web interface.
Unless I missing something:thumbsdow

Dynky

Sorry, I don't discuss my equipment on forums, suffice to say two large floorstanders and a slightly larger than normal centre.
Size of the speakers has little or no relation to their sensitivity/efficiency, so that don't tell us much.
Your power amps don't have any gain adjustments to compensate for this? (I'm not going to ask which amps those are, as you won't tell us anyway)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Latest News

McIntosh and Sonus faber unite under Fine Sounds Distribution in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches 4349 Studio Monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display next generation OLEDs showcased at SID 2020
  • By Andy Bassett