New Arcam AVR's

I've always question to Dolby leveler even works.

Well, if you set it at value = 3 it should correspond to setting "Medium" on my old Harman Kardon receiver. And it should sound quite a lot better.

Anyhow, can some kind soul fiddle with Dolby Volume\Leveler in a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 system and see what happens? :)

PS See or hear. :)

You're on the wrong thread mate.
Lol, I know, but it is the exact same problem and it's the only place i have seen it mentioned, I've spent days searching and now I'm getting desperate for any clues I guess.

Exactly the same for me, level too low for sub (svs PB3000) which shakes the house,
and too high for rear speakers. Dirac complains of levels too low or high ambient noise so can't continue. Feel like selling it all!
To try and keep the devices all in range, as a test, could you try manually increasing the sub gain a bit (on the actual sub vs. using the Dirac slider)?

To try and keep the devices all in range, as a test, could you try manually increasing the sub gain a bit (on the actual sub vs. using the Dirac slider)?
I have, svs say to set sub at -15 during set up, I increased it to -5 and it was blatantly far too loud, the level just about went into the green but after taking the chair positions it still said levels too low or too high ambient noise. I have the opposite problem with the rear speakers, levels have to be dropped to -10 to match the fronts..... can't ever seem to get a happy medium for all levels.

Exactly the same for me, level too low for sub (svs PB3000) which shakes the house,
and too high for rear speakers. Dirac complains of levels too low or high ambient noise so can't continue. Feel like selling it all!
This was sorted on the latest FW update, works perfect now.

Anyone with 5 spare minutes to test Dolby Volume\Leveler with height speakers? In these lockdown times. :)

I have, svs say to set sub at -15 during set up, I increased it to -5 and it was blatantly far too loud, the level just about went into the green but after taking the chair positions it still said levels too low or too high ambient noise. I have the opposite problem with the rear speakers, levels have to be dropped to -10 to match the fronts..... can't ever seem to get a happy medium for all levels.
I had that too Alex, kept telling me there was too much ambient noise. I discovered that, somehow, the speaker setup I set in the Arcam didn't match what I had - it showed height speakers attached to outputs 15 & 16 (IIRC), which I'm pretty sure I hadn't configured. Once I corrected this, all was well. At least, for a while... worth checking!

Anyone with 5 spare minutes to test Dolby Volume\Leveler with height speakers? In these lockdown times. :)
Not having an Arcam now i can't help, however, Dolby Volume/Leveller didn't work with Dirac engaged as that was how it was implemented, there was talk of it being changed in the HDA Series so that it could be used with Dirac engaged .... so the question is, has that change been carried out/implemented and are you on the correct version of FW that enables the feature?

I had that too Alex, kept telling me there was too much ambient noise. I discovered that, somehow, the speaker setup I set in the Arcam didn't match what I had - it showed height speakers attached to outputs 15 & 16 (IIRC), which I'm pretty sure I hadn't configured. Once I corrected this, all was well. At least, for a while... worth checking!
Cheers Tony, the neighbour's are just about to go out for their 2 hour walk so I'll double check everything and have one more go.

Cheers Tony, the neighbour's are just about to go out for their 2 hour walk so I'll double check everything and have one more go.
As you have a FMJ reciever you need to post your question in this thread; .

The s/w on the HDA ramge is completely different and still buggy but regardless will have no influence on how your FMJ works.

Initially try following the instructions provided in this link;

You need a quiet room or you will have trouble getting the initial speker levels set correctly. What mic are you using, how are you using it?
Use the volume control on your sub to adjust it's level not the slider on the Dirac screen.
If you still have trouble then please post how you have your kit connected and what speakers you are using.
A screenshot of your initial dirac speaker levels setting will help.

Not having an Arcam now i can't help, however, Dolby Volume/Leveller didn't work with Dirac engaged as that was how it was implemented, there was talk of it being changed in the HDA Series so that it could be used with Dirac engaged .... so the question is, has that change been carried out/implemented and are you on the correct version of FW that enables the feature?

Ok, thank you for the answer. If your remarks are corect, my humble take is Arcam will probably never implement Dolby Volume\Leveler with Dirac. Since they have trouble to execute even the most basic functions of a stereo equipment, let alone advanced AV receiver. Which beggs the question, WHY even PAY the LICENSE to Dolby when you can't even use Dolby Volume\Leveler?

The incompetence at Arcam is truly stuggering.

Ok, thank you for the answer. If your remarks are corect, my humble take is Arcam will probably never implement Dolby Volume\Leveler with Dirac. Since they have trouble to execute even the most basic functions of a stereo equipment, let alone advanced AV receiver. Which beggs the question, WHY even PAY the LICENSE to Dolby when you can't even use Dolby Volume\Leveler?

The incompetence at Arcam is truly stuggering.
Things may well have moved on since then, however, Arcams response at the time was something to the effect that with Dirac engaged, Dolby Volume/Leveller would be working to counteract what Dirac was doing, hence why they decided to make the option NOT available if Dirac was engaged, however, there were several requests for the function to be included, so Arcam were looking at making it available ..... this may well have been implemented already, i'm not sure as i no longer have an Arcam, i know for certain it wasn't available on the FMJ Series, which is what i had (AV860).

I'm pretty sure the licence to Dolby isn't just for Dolby Volume/Leveller, but a whole host of other features too, so don't really see that it is incompetence on Arcam's part to not include that particular aspect or feature as a option, if it was deemed to interfere/break Dirac, as Dirac and what it adds to the product is one of the main selling points.

As i said my information may possibly be out of date now, but shouldn't be difficult for someone with one of the HDA Series to be able to confirm one way or the other. Just out of interest, is the option greyed out all the time, or only with Dirac engaged?

You could always send an email to Arcam to confirm it's function?

Things may well have moved on since then, however, Arcams response at the time was something to the effect that with Dirac engaged, Dolby Volume/Leveller would be working to counteract what Dirac was doing, hence why they decided to make the option NOT available if Dirac was engaged, however, there were several requests for the function to be included, so Arcam were looking at making it available ..... this may well have been implemented already, i'm not sure as i no longer have an Arcam, i know for certain it wasn't available on the FMJ Series, which is what i had (AV860).

I'm pretty sure the licence to Dolby isn't just for Dolby Volume/Leveller, but a whole host of other features too, so don't really see that it is incompetence on Arcam's part to not include that particular aspect or feature as a option, if it was deemed to interfere/break Dirac, as Dirac and what it adds to the product is one of the main selling points.

As i said my information may possibly be out of date now, but shouldn't be difficult for someone with one of the HDA Series to be able to confirm one way or the other. Just out of interest, is the option greyed out all the time, or only with Dirac engaged?

Yeah dolby works with dirac on with the HDA models, but as I said above I hear no audible difference when it is on.🤷‍♂️

Yeah dolby works with dirac on with the HDA models, but as I said above I hear no audible difference when it is on.🤷‍♂️
Are you using it at low volume when you've had it on?

While we are talking about Dolby, Gene at Audioholics just did a video on how Dolby are taking the "center spread" feature out certain AVR's. In this case it was a Denon AVR and was done through a new FW update. I expect this to happen to most AVR's down the road.
Now i don't personally use this feature but I'm sure some do, so it's a bit of a shitty move

I don't own Arcam but I was a potential buyer. I am pretty sure Dolby License cost extra for Dolby Volume\Leveler because Harman Kardon ditched Dolby Volume\Leveler for they own version ie. Harman Kardon NSP (Natural Sound Processing). That holds true in H/K last receiver 171S. However, prior to that, the flagship H/K receiver had Dolby Volume\Leveler and sounded fantastic with H/Ks EzSet/EQ room-system.

From what I can infer that flagship H/K receiver WAS in fact ARCAM platform and that was in 2013.

Fast forward 7 (seven!) years later, they can't even achive what they could back then! I wish Arcam all the best but if prior history is anything to go by....

PS H/K never used Dolby Headphone feature because Harman said the license cost was way too high. I think that holds true even more so in 2020.

Last edited:
I have the NAD T777. Part of the reason I bought it over the arcams FMJ's was dolby volume worked WITH dirac. It does work but its so subtle I can scarcely detect it - just as Goatlips says on his HDA... I confirmed it with BOB at NAD long ago. I really miss it/audessey equiv from my Denon days even though I do still have it!! cos its too subtle to be of any use. I now sit with my finger on the volume - lest I wake the kidz/neighbours. Denon allowed me to avoid that damn well but sucked elsewhere of course.

SO I asked Arcam at the Bristol show - in fact I hijacked their breakfast as I was staying in the same Hotel in Bristol and they were wearing Arcam shirts to breakfast so fair game (they are powered by eggs, beans and coffee BTW - one eats Kale). They said it will absolutely be in the new range but Arcam promises are not like real promises....yes I know they delivered on this.

@goatlips and @drillo:

Set Dolby Volume "ON" and Dolby Leveler at value "3". Set Dolby Calibration Offset in accordance to this:

The average home audio speaker sensitivity is 88dB SPL (1 watt/1 meter). Check the
sensitivity specification for your loudspeakers, found in the owner’s manual or on the
manufacturer’s Web site. If your speakers have a sensitivity rating greater than 88dB SPL,
increase Dolby Volume calibration by the difference between your speakers’ sensitivity
and 88dB. If they have a sensitivity rating of less than 88dB SPL, decrease Dolby Volume
calibration by the difference between your speakers’ sensitivity and 88dB.

Example:
- Speaker sensitivity of 83 db yields Dolby Calibration = -5 (minus 5)
- Speaker sensitivity of 93 db yields Dolby Calibration = +5 (plus 5)
- Speaker sensitivity of 88 db yields Dolby Calibration = 0 ie Don't tuch anything!

Now play some Bluray movie with good Dolby TrueHD\DTS Master HD 5.1/7.1/Atmos track. You should hear SIGNIFICANT improvement. Thank me later! :)

PS The improvement is specially there if you are listening on low volume 25 - 55 on a scale 0 - 100.

@goatlips and @drillo:

Set Dolby Volume "ON" and Dolby Leveler at value "3". Set Dolby Calibration Offset in accordance to this:

The average home audio speaker sensitivity is 88dB SPL (1 watt/1 meter). Check the
sensitivity specification for your loudspeakers, found in the owner’s manual or on the
manufacturer’s Web site. If your speakers have a sensitivity rating greater than 88dB SPL,
increase Dolby Volume calibration by the difference between your speakers’ sensitivity
and 88dB. If they have a sensitivity rating of less than 88dB SPL, decrease Dolby Volume

Example:
- Speaker sensitivity of 88 db yields Dolby Calibration = 0 ie Don't tuch anything!

Now play some Bluray movie with good Dolby TrueHD\DTS Master HD 5.1/7.1/Atmos track. You should hear SIGNIFICANT improvement. Thank me later! :)

PS The improvement is specially there if you are listening on low volume 25 - 55 on a scale 0 - 100.

Thanks (I like to thank now :p )- I dont have the Arcam - settings differ on NAD but good to hear - i'm leaning to a shift to Arcam 20 if they tidy up their bedroom bit more and dirac multi sub lands without a thud (dad jokes - home too long)

Last edited:
@goatlips and @drillo:

Example:

I wasnt even aware you can set a Dolby volume, only option I saw was on or off?🤔

I wasnt even aware you can set a Dolby volume, only option I saw was on or off?🤔

Well, you learn something new every day. :) Dolby Calibration Offset is a separate entry. All 3 (Dolby Volume, Dolby Leveler and Dolby Calibration Offset) separate entries have to be set in order to significantly hear the difference.

PS I infer everything from Arcams manual and my good old Harman/Kardon receiver. Never had Arcam, too pricey for a cheap bastard like me. :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom