1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Arcam AVR300 Software

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Crustyloafer, Aug 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I while a go it was mentioned that the AVR300 could not produce a proper subwoofer test tone in the setup menu. This was replied to by Andy Dutton I believe that they were working on a software update to correct this and that it was in beta testing. I can now confirm that the new version of the software is available, version 2.84, from your local dealer. Not only is there a new version of the software which I can confirm DOES produce a good quality and measurable subwoofer test tone but there is also included in this update a new DSP software upgrade. After applying these upgrades to our in store demonstration model I was pleased to see that the subwoofer test tone has been correctly implemented. I will also note that after listening to it once upgraded (not sure how influential the placebo effect is in this case) it sounded a lot more detailed and with much better steering of effects. I would be interested to hear, from Andy Dutton ideally, what changes have been made to the version 2.84 of the software other than the subwoofer test tone and also what improvements have been made with the DSP software if any. I'd like to finish this post with a "Well Done" to all at Arcam who continually strive to improve existing products as well as develop new ones which contrasts greatly with the Japanese policy of pushing out unfinished products and changing models every 6 months.

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The other major one is that you can force DTS 5.1 into DTS ES Matrix. This is necessary for unflagged DTS ES Matrix DVDs like Master and Commander R1 (and I suppose R2 as well). :smashin:

Also, if the AVR is in Standby and power is lost and restored, it comes back in Standby mode rather than full On. Selecting any input then brings it On. This is useful for keeping the wife sleeping happily if you happen not to turn sources off & you have a blackout during the night. :)

Dean

3. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't shoot me down, but are these updates available for download? disconnecting everything and dragging the amp to the dealer is a real pain!

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know about the U.K., but in the U.S. Audiophile Systems posts updates on their website. However, they only had 2.72 last I checked.

In the past Arcam's official policy has been that dealers should do updates, but I don't know if that applies to the AVR300 SW.

Dean

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I am a dealer, therefore my official line is to take it to your local dealer for upgrade.

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's reasonable to a point, where you have customers that aren't (or don't care to be) technically inclined and informed about their HT systems.

But in many cases, we enthusiasts are equally qualified to perform SW upgrades. It's really not that hard to do if you can follow simple instructions carefully.

I for one do not want to dismantle and shlep my gear to the dealer for a SW upgrade, exposing it to uneccessary risk thru transit (where you can end up with scratches, dings, even theft), not to mention the inconvenience. Nor do I want to pay my dealer to visit my home to do it (and I wouldn't expect them to offer that free).

So while I understand Arcam and it's dealers' desire to perform software upgrades in most cases, I also think it's appropriate to provide a mechanism to those who are technically inclined to do their own upgrades when there's a public interface to the device (i.e. RS232 port for AVR, CD ROM for DVD players, etc).

Dean

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    They do provide a mechanism for those who are technically inclined to do the upgrade themselves. All the customer needs to do is contact their dealer and inform them that they wish to apply the upgrade themselves at their own risk. The dealer can then ask Arcam to send the customer a copy of the software directly, or send it to the customer themselves. The main main factor in operating this mechanism is that there has to be a specific request from the customer to the dealer for this to be done and acceptance that this is done entirely at their own risk with no responsibility borne by the dealer..

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All a bit complicated, huh ?
    Never mind the Brits now, soon it'll be available thru the American website as I was informed.
    Funny, no funny mechanisms with the Yanks...
    Barend

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but even better is the example of Audiophile Systems (ASL) posting the AVR300 SW updates on their website.

That's an example of excellent customer support from Arcam. I think if someone has the wherewithal to seek and find it, they can probably handle performing the update.

OTOH: I asked my dealer for the DV88+ 4.18 update a while back, and it took a month to get it from Arcam to ASL to dealer to me.

I'm not really complaining, just voicing my opinion...

Dean

10. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree the option to download files and update the AVR300 is a welcome option. Why not make them available on the Arcam website? I did it from the Audiophile Systems site and it went without a hitch - EXCEPT - it wiped out all my menu setups. I wasn't expecting this (didn't notice mention of it in any instructions or discussion threads) so anyone interested in the DIY option might want to note their settings beforehand.

11. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's actually the DSP upgrade that does the reset. Normally, upgrading the control software alone preserves your setup. But sometimes (not always) a SW update requires a DSP update first.

But always a good idea to write 'em down before you do an update.

Dean

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Build 2.84 made the rx produce a nice warbling sub test tone now, did not try the rest yet. Had to look at the PLS WAIT... msg several times retrying until it finally changed to UPDATE... so keep rebooting until it works...
    Upgrading wiped my FM settings too, so I have to enter all the radio stations again...ah well, can push the buttons with a blindfold now...

Little o/t now, had the problem neither the internal biamping settings nor the preouts provided gain control.
    To make things worse, neither has my HK PA2400 final, and the bass was just a bit too much.
    So I bought 2 RCA male/female 3dB audio attenuators for a few Euro's and used these on the FL/FR outs, problem solved.
    Have a glorious sound now, clear and involving on DD-EX and very rich on DIRECT, hoped I could use my new Pio DV-868avi for stereo too and flog the Arcam CD82t cd player, but somehow I could not exactly get the same homogenous sound I was used to...so it stays....

Cheers to all! :)
    Barend

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Glad to hear you got the update to work and that your subs test tone is working correctly. I am also pleased that you decided to keep your CD82 as it is most definitley a better CD player than the Pioneer 868.

14. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wanted to add that the DV868avi did have the best stereo sound I ever heard from a dvd player so far- but only in DIRECT mode an fed to a 2 ch input on the AVR300.
    Using the 5.1 analog interlinks sounded thinner and oddly fuzzy...cannot quite understand why the difference.
    While stereo through the coax cable sounded treble accented and rather un-rich (not "poor"...), with or without HIGH BIT 16- to 24 bits conversion set. Not to speak of the LEGATO options that destroyed the delicate soundstage and flattened everything out.
    And there's no stop/start memory on the Pio either after disc removal.
    Ah well, pic is glorious and 5.1 analog sound too...
    Sorry for turning this post into a Pioneer o/t...
    Cheers

15. koyboy

koyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone in the US has gotten the new 2.84 update yet. I've been checking the ASL website and have not seen anything more recent then 2.78.

Koy

16. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My dealer was informed by Audiophile Systems about the availability of 2.84. You should check with your dealer to see that they get it for you.

Dean

17. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey Crustyloafer,
    Could not hear any sound improvement after the 2.84 upgrade, be easy on the booze next time you're testing...
    Just pulling your leg of course!
    Barend

18. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Did you hear an improvement or not? I definitely did. Anyone who needs this software PM me. Be warned it's not as straight forward doing the AVR300 update as it is to do the DVD players. This is done entirely at the users own risk.

19. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Did you hear an improvement or not? I definitely did. Anyone who needs this software PM me. Be warned it's not as straight forward doing the AVR300 update as it is to do the DVD players. This is done entirely at the users own risk.

20. mgkaplan

mgkaplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other than the sub woofer test tone, what other upgrades will the new software (2.84) bring to the AVR 300?

Thanks

21. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    As well as the new software (2.84) there was new DSP software too (1.12) which I felt made it sound crisper and cleaner.

22. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AVR300 Software Updates

For 2.84

NEW FEATURE: Manually select DTS ES is available for DTS 5.1 signal

Customer requests:
    Standby status saved when main power off/standby.
    Go to input source selected if standby waked up by source input key.
    DSP version info display on VFD and OSD.
    DSP update is still available on "Direct on" status.

Subwoofer test tone level corrected.

Custom install fixes:

In RGB status,composite/S-video switch dos not follow HQ's video.
    In Zone 2 Access Menu,AM and FM could be removed/added by using AM/FM button.

RS232 commands:
    a. P1 of FM reponse show ";/?" only,
    b. request current tuner preset command will increase tuner frequency and return the updated frequency- Corrected to return preset.

RC5 codes of Presets: no reponse if preset store the same channel
    Zone 2 current source is not allowed to delete from access list. This solve the some contraditions, e.g. when user remove all from list, zone 2 still need to switch to any input source. But no channel exist in access list. When user try to delete that source, "Not available" will be shown in the OSD.
    When you press AM/FM in zone 2, the VFD did show ”None Channel”.
    Video Channel display does not update in MainScreen1 after changing the video setting in setup menu.
    RS232 command: Send the source command "DVD-A", no reponse for Zone 2 source

23. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Does it cost anything to get your dealer to upgrade the software??
    I bought the AVR300 last Saturday, but only found about the s/w upgrades today.
    Is it possible to find out what your current version is.?
    I believe mine hasn't been updated otherwise the dealer would have more than likely mentioned it to me during his sales pitch.

24. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my AVR300 a week ago and it shows v2.78 (press SAT & DVD together to find which version you have). I guess that's what's in the supply chain right now.

25. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    It will not cost you anything to get it upgraded by your dealer. Just give them a call in advance to book an appointment for this to be done. There is nothing more annoying than a customer coming rushing in to your store expecting you to drop everthing there and then to solve a problem they might have. Applying the updates is about a 30 minute job including testing the unit afterwards.

26. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Liteswap:
    I feel the dealer should do the upgrade under warranty, it's easy, relatively painless and quick...
    If you have a PC, a null modem cable and KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING you can do it yourself, you can find the software 2.84 with full and very clear instructions on the American Arcam site.
    One hint: Sometimes you have to reboot the receiver several times before WAIT... in the LCD display changes!
    Also first upgrade the .s28 file and then the .hex.
    It pays to read the included info well, hope you're not the kind of person that first tinkers and THEN reads the manual (like I am I'm afraid).
    But let your dealer do it (mine doesn't know squat about pc's so I had no choice) if you're unfamiliar with computers.
    Barend

27. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Audiosphile Systems still only has v2.78 on their website, which they haven't updated since Aug. 6. But they do have 2.84 available to dealers.

But I agree that if one is reasonably handy with a PC and using a null modem cable, doing the update on your own is not a big deal. Just be patient and follow instructions, and realize it doesn't always take the first time. I always connect the cable with the AVR hard powered off, reboot my laptop, and then proceed after turning the AVR on with no other software running on the laptop. Rebooting the PC shouldn't be necessary, but I do it anyway just to be sure no processes are running to interfere with the serial I/O of the upgrade process.

Dean

28. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've just come back from Seveoaks from buying new speaker cables. I asked them about the software updates and they phoned Arcam right away to enquire. Their shop model is v2.78 they were told me that Arcam said that if your software is V2.74 or above then it's not really worth performing an update. Incidently my version is V2.74

29. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's rubbish, do a search on the forum and also look at the v2.84 change list, suppose the American site got it now?
    Either the Sevenoaks guy has...errr...a problem telling the truth or Arcam has which I can hardly imagine!
    or they're too lazy- why do you think the Arcam techs put out these upgrades?
    Ah well, guess the Dutch dealers would tell the same fairy tales just to get rid of a "difficult" customer...
    That's exactly what I hate about many hifi shops, low-tech salespeople giving silly advice and doing as little as possible on aftersales.
    The guys where I bought my AVR300 didn't know squat about anything, albeit having a right Hi Fi Palace with several posh guys in beautiful suits dancing around but at least the thing was cheap- and I tend to sort out my problems myself.
    Barend

30. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    In that case , can you point me in the direction of where I can find the software and clear instructions on performing this update myself. I note that there's a DSP update aswell.
    If I feel it's too difficult or possibility of invalidating my warranty then I'll just be "difficult" and get the dealer to do it.