New Apple Laptops

baldrick

Prominent Member
Reaction score
To start afresh without 6 pages of 'what ifs' and 'maybes', what do you reckon?

Looks really nice, suppose I'll have to get my credit card out again.

Think I'll do what I planned to before - get a Macbook (probably the $1599 version) for portability of a 13.3" machine and an iMac at their next revision for home use.

Some good innovation and improvements, such as the glass multitouch trackpad, user replaceable hard drive and the change to 1066mHz memory.

It's a annoying that they've deliberately removed FireWire from the new MacBooks to ensure that people wanting FW have to buy the Pro!!!

It's a annoying that they've deliberately removed FireWire from the new MacBooks to ensure that people wanting FW have to buy the Pro!!!

But there's no Firewire 400 on the MacBook Pro. Odd!

I guess it's Apple setting standards like they did with the Floppy Drive.

So what happened to reports of Apple releasing a super cheap product? These rumours before the events are really not worth listening to! Was a bit worried they'd release a 400 or 500 quid laptop (or netbook) and it would tempt me.....

But there's no Firewire 400 on the MacBook Pro. Odd!

You simply use an 800 to 400 cable plus you can use e-sata....

So what happened to reports of Apple releasing a super cheap product?

Someone discovered a new blank entry for an $899 Apple product on some website and assumed it was a new entry level laptop. It's actually the new 24" cinema display....

OK - I'll join this thread as well, makes sense to start a new one. Say the same thing - the prices simply blow the decision away, when I read the specs I thought I was about to enter a few days of should I or shouldn't I? Should I sell my 4-5 month old perfectly good MacBook for a better case, battery and backlight keyboard? Price now makes that easy - no.

Still - if anyone is interested you can get some good deals on the "old" models. Apple are selling the 1799 old pro for 1199 and an Air for 999. Not tempting enough for me but others might be interested. There in the refurbished section.

Almost relieved that the prices have made the decision easy for me.

List price vs Further Education (uni) prices

MB 2.0
£949 - £816

MB 2.4
£1149 - £988

MBP 2.4
£1399 - £1189

MBP 2.53
£1749 - £1486

i like the feature of being able to configure a right click on the track pad

also the use of offloading processing onto the GPU will be good but i'm guessing this feature wont really come alive untill snow leopard and they full take advantage of a OS with multi-core processing

they look good i'm just wondering when they will be instore

Is that right? The "old" white macbook has increased in price by £20 to £719? And now being sold as the "new" macbook?

Gazza

As I recall the 'old' £699 MacBook came with a combo drive rather than a SuperDrive? The 'new old' MacBook has a SuperDrive so that probably accounts for the price hike!?!?

i'm just wondering when they will be instore
I'm in the US at the moment and there's an Apple store 5 mins from my hotel so I'll poke my head round the door tonigh to see if they're in. If not I'll go have a play tomorrow....

I might pop in to Apple store on oxford Street tomorrow and have a play with a new one hopefully. They do look a bit nicer than i first thought having watched the video on the site. The price point is too high for me though really. Im seriously considering a Blackbook now. What price do you think a new one of those will be at (if available)?

Also, am i right in thinking the new macbooks dont have a firewire port? So if i bought a new DV Camera, how the hell would i connect it up?

As I recall the 'old' £699 MacBook came with a combo drive rather than a SuperDrive? The 'new old' MacBook has a SuperDrive so that probably accounts for the price hike!?!?

Quite right, but the US price has been cut by $100, the UK price has increased.:mad:

It looks a very impressive build quality, however for me, I do prefer my White MacBooks aesthetics. No major improvements, so no need to upgrade. (phew, and there was my bank account trembling)

+'s
looks nice
looks really REALLY nice
new keys
right click on trackpad
big trackpad

-'s
no blu ray :thumbsdow
no 17" :eek::thumbsdow
dual dvi dongle £69 :eek: Apple Store (U.K.) - Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
single dvi dongle £20 Apple Store (U.K.) - Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter

have to say il be waiting for the 17" and blu-ray, and by the looks of it il be waiting an awful long time if they even come at all!

shame as i was really looking forward to it and really do want one! this was gonna be the day i was to make the switch to macs, now im just gonna stick with a poxy xp laptop till its sorted :thumbsdow

I'm debating 2.0 vs 2.4 MB.

With student discount, £172 for: 400mhz more, 90GB bigger HD and back-lit keypad....

It seems a rip off...

I'm debating 2.0 vs 2.4 MB.

With student discount, £172 for: 400mhz more, 90GB bigger HD and back-lit keypad....

It seems a rip off...

It sounds too much, I know its a bit trivial but knowing the 2.4 has that illuminated keyboard :rotfl:

The 17" is coming, someone asked the question during the Q & A at the end....

They said its being updated (I took that as being specs not full new model).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom