New Apple Laptops

The 17" is coming, someone asked the question during the Q & A at the end....

yea i heard that, they just said its being refreshed today but they didnt say what with

i want it just like the new 15" but with bluray and pref a proper dvi port

i have a feeling apple are leaving blu-ray out due to licensing as display port IIRC doesnt support HDCP

Quite right, but the US price has been cut by $100, the UK price has increased.:mad:

I wasn't sure whether maybe we were getting the mid-range white MacBook for 719, but on looking it's the 'old' entry level model, just with a SuperDrive!?!?

oh one last gripe, why the HELL are they using two graphics processors ***, total waste of space and money.

if they are concerned about power usage just run the pocessor at a reduced clockrate like every other manufacturer.... sheesh

cheers baldrick, tbh didnt think it did. but i bet there is issues like this other than itunes hd which is holding them back, tbh i think blu-ray would help itunes along

maybe its the lack of a full hd pro being available to bung one in

Last edited:
I actually find the backlit keyboard is a really useful feature, so its annoying that they've made it a fairly expensive upgrade to have on the Macbook. That and the missing firewire means I'll probably going to go for an entry-level MBP.

I wonder if these will be available to buy in Apple stores from tomorrow? The online store is saying the laptops should be shipped in 7 days time.

in all honesty i was waiting to seem some nice new 13.3 inch or 15 inch that was cheaper than what i paid for my black mac book in Feb

but at these prices ill stick with what i got - tbh the only thing i hate not having is the back lit keys but for this much i can live with it

Overall I don't really understand where Apple are going with this lineup.

Personally I'd have like to see the MacBookPros as we've had but including a full blown 13" MBP and then a more 'sensible' MacBook lineup.

As it is they've got new MacBooks that are trying to be Pros, but not quite making it and the 'old' white MacBook standing out like a sore thumb as the entry level machine.

The one model not getting much attention is the Air which is slowly becoming a more realistic proposition. As soon as it's solid state storage starts getting up towards the 250GB region it'll make a very tempting mobile unit to compliment an iMac....

TBH I'd have gone for a MBA if they'd increased the RAM to 4Gb. I think its the perfect second machine to have, but when I tried one out for a few days, it was noticeably sluggish, not even while doing anything CPU-intensive and I think it could have been down to the 2Gb RAM as much as anything.

TBH I'd have gone for a MBA if they'd increased the RAM to 4Gb. I think its the perfect second machine to have, but when I tried one out for a few days, it was noticeably sluggish, not even while doing anything CPU-intensive and I think it could have been down to the 2Gb RAM as much as anything.

I'd suggest that the MacBook Air is designed to work with the solid state drive and benefits hugely from the increased data rate you get? With a conventional HDD is going to struggle, but the extra cost of solid state means the Air would be dead in the water without a cheaper option....

So much hype for what??????
Nothing....
Very Poor apple,Glad I got my macbook when i did.
Better value and not totally ripped off:rotfl::smashin:

So much hype for what??????
Nothing....
Very Poor apple,Glad I got my macbook when i did.
Better value and not totally ripped off:rotfl::smashin:

why are you glad? You can still buy the old one....
Give it a few days and once everyone starts to get them and reviews come online almost everyone will want one.

I'll be buying the top level MBP when Snow Leopard appears, looks very sexy indeed :thumbsup:

No Click Button?, how are you suppose to highlight text to copy?, I hated that about the Iphone.. and no blu ray burner for the macbook pro?.., nice to see better graphics for the macbook, but no expresscard slot?

So no firewire port on the new macbook ?? I guess with all the new and cheap SD / memory stick based camcorders firewire is now very dated anyway

Not even a memory card slot on the new macbooks also ? :oops:

oh one last gripe, why the HELL are they using two graphics processors ***, total waste of space and money.

if they are concerned about power usage just run the pocessor at a reduced clockrate like every other manufacturer.... sheesh

cheers baldrick, tbh didnt think it did. but i bet there is issues like this other than itunes hd which is holding them back, tbh i think blu-ray would help itunes along

Lots of laptops use this system. Especially top end systems, if you want to play games or do serious video editing in HD then you can use the more powerful graphics chip, when you want to do everything else you switch the slower chip and use less battery power, for instance if you wanted to surf the web via WiFi for a few hours. So this is in now way a new thing in laptops.
And also this 9400M, looking around I believe the new Mac Books are the ONLY laptops with this chip. It may explain the higher price plus it's not made out of plastic. But yes I will agree the new MacBook pricing is strange. But that's Apple, I mean the iPod Mini was it's biggest seller and it ditched it in it's prime for the Nano, and ever since they've replaced that every year.

And also this 9400M, looking around I believe the new Mac Books are the ONLY laptops with this chip.

The Vaio TT is lighter than the macbook air, supports 2 Hard Drives, has firewire, dual card readers, express card slot, 3G, Higher Res LED display, HDMI and a Blu Ray Writer..., so your point really does not make any sence....

With a Weight of 2 KG and with a Price of £1000 and the lack of expansion/ports it doesn't really have that wow factor..., You could get a Windows Laptop with similar specs for £600,minus the LED display, i'dr ather get a Vaio Z series, Lighter, LED Display...

Now this is what you call a laptop..

https://www.sonystyle.co.uk:443/Son...commendations&forward=showcua&bc_search=rhome

Apple stole the single sheet of aluminum from the Z series...

Last edited:

I'm guessing the 9400 is the standard chip on their new architecture for graphics. looks like the mac and MBP are based around a similar architecture. Then they whacked on the 9600 for the MBP as the 9400 isn't powerful enough compared to the old 8600 (and they need a discrete GPU for differentiation)

I read on another forum that you have to log out and back in again if you want to switch between the 9400 and 9600.... bit silly really. If you have to think about it you probably won't do it.

tempted by the top end macbook. flying out to the US soon so can check dixons and US prices. Dixons will probably be cheaper once you've factored in US sales tax. Will check one out in an apple store as I'm not convinced by not having a button on the trackpad and I hate tap to click. supposedly this is OK but I'll have to have a play. Shame they've slowed the main processors down - any reason for that other than cost? The midrange is now only a 2GHz - my SR one is 2.2.

Although the top end MB is closeish in price to the low end MBP... I like the small size of the screen on my MB for browsing on the sofa, compactness etc. But the larger screen (and better?) of the MBP might be better for photo editing.

am I brave enough to keep the current MB and let the wife have it, and the MBP for myself, or will I need to sell the MB to help persuade the missus that the difference in cost is negligible..

oh and meansizzler - specs mean nothing. the macbooks are macs and run OSX. That is an issue for some. I'm now a convert and not being able to use OSX would be a deal breaker for me. Yes in a way its frustrating, but such is life.

Apple clearly seem to position themselves as the premium brand - kind of like the BMW/Audi of the PC world. Its working from what they told us yesterday.

Last edited:
why are you glad? You can still buy the old one....
Give it a few days and once everyone starts to get them and reviews come online almost everyone will want one.

Dont think so mate. I bought my 2.4gb Macbook in June and now for a slightly different style and a new graphics card I would have to pay about £300 quid more. With a recession about to kick in they should have lowered prices. I think apple sales for this will struggle and more people will go Via Windows based laptops.

what were the previous prices on macbooks?

I seem to remember when I bought my SR MB 2.2GHz (mid range one), they were £699 for the basic, £829 for the mid (mine) and £949 for the top end (2.4GHz).

Now £949 gets you the mid but its only 2GHz, and the 2.4 is a whopping £1149!

Thats quite a price bump. Usually Apple keep the prices the same but bump the spec. This time they've bumped both. Im' not sure its sustainable considering how prices on laptops have dropped in the last few years - I was surprised they managed to sustain their previous prices. But a 20% price increase!?

as their presentation showed, they seem very happy that they have a 30%+ dollar market share, even though they only have a 17% unit marketshare. So they think premium is working. But surely they have to convert more people, appeal to a wider market? Maybe not as they said 50% of apple store visitors are new to mac. Maybe they're happy with their current growth and will milk it as much as possible. I suppose if you're a company its a nice position to be in.

To be honest they have delivered all the things I wanted in the Macbook improvement. I currently have the old while 2.16GHz model and this now gives me:

Much faster graphics
Alu Case
LED Screen
Backlit keyboard
Better battery life
Looks gorgeous (IMHO)

I am more than happy to pay the asking price for this. After all it is supposed to be a premium product. I'll shoot down to Regent St. store at Lunchtime and see if they have any in stock.

Just been looking on crucial for a 4GB DDR3 upgrade - 95 quid at the moment.

Just been looking on crucial for a 4GB DDR3 upgrade - 95 quid at the moment.

apple are only charging £100 for theirs. Reasonable for a change (although I suppose you actually ahve to buy 4GB from crucial, whereas Apple are only increasing it by 2GB). Can you get RAM upgrades over the counter at an apple store, or does that make it a custom jobbie?

They just seem too expensive.

for the top end macbook including a couple of adapters = $1657

or you can an refurb 15" MBP 2.5Ghz including 512Mb video memory for $1500

What would you do?

Not seeing much love for Apples new lineup on Uk forums. Maybe the OP can put a poll seeing if people think they are worth the money or not

My opinion - Thinking with the heart and I feel tempted to go and upgrade, but that's just the shiny new factor.

Thinking with the head my gut feeling is they've fouled up with their pricing and specs. No Blu-Ray etc

I'll be skipping this generation ....

Just had a play with one at Regent St. Store but unfortunately 2.4 Macbooks are now out of Stock! Dammit! It is a gorgeous piece of kit though and the clickable trackpad works really well.

Oh well - maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm amazed there are so many naysayers though - I just wonder what people expected. I know they are pricey but the build quality is beautiful and I would rather that than a cheap load of rubbish that can be afforded by every benefit cheat and his dog.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom