New Appartment install

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Mackster, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Mackster

Mackster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Have got some local companies to quote for installing a communal system in my apartments (64) Is there anything you guys would recommend that I request to ensure I get great quality and future proof? I think they have all said 90cm with quad LNB but your comments would be most appreciated.

Mac

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well out of my league:)

However with the expense and complication of this sort of install a CAI approved installer would be a must.
    I assume the people you have talked to had said a Quattro LNB feeding a distribution system then that being fed to the apartments.
    For future proofing I would consider two feeds to every apartment, SKY+ and other twin tuner STB's are going to be a major factor in the dsat uesage over the next few years.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they really said that I would avoid them at all costs. A quad-output LNB will feed only four Digiboxes. What's needed is a QUATTRO LNB feeding a head-end I.F. distribution system. I would insist on CT125 cable or equivalent low-loss cable and, as Starburst suggests, TWO cables to each residence as a minimum. This will let you use a SKY+ Digibox or two separate Digiboxes.

The cost will normally work out at around £150 per dwelling for a single cable or around £300 for two cables (not including the Digibox).

You could also ask them to diplex in an aerial feed for Freeview. The additional cost will be only around £10 per dwelling and worth having in my opinion.

4. Mackster

Mackster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, thanks v much for your replies. I made a typo they had said a Quattro LNB they also said WF100 cable and WF100 5 core cable are these any good? They state Philips distribution amplifiers are these ok or should we look for something else.
    Also is there anyway I can pump a CCTV feed in at the same time?

5. simon123

simon123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i am a cai rigger,the philips multiswitches are very good they can handle 100m drops,the 5 core cable has only been out for about 6 months and makes everything lots neater and easier to work with.
    it is 5 double screaned cables and an earthwire all in one sleave.
    4 cables for the lnb to the switch all colour coded
    1 cable for the aerial
    and the earth is for the earth bond of the switches

6. simon123

simon123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    forgot to say yes you can combine cctv inti the system
    E.G door entry,car park,garages
    if you want to view the camera just switch your tv to a pre tuned channel like 6

7. Mackster

Mackster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks simon, what type of cameras would i need to buy and how many could I have ? Do I get them to run directly into the dist amp ?

8. simon123

simon123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    you can have as many cameras as you like,if you buy the proper outdoor cameras they will plug into a switching unit wich you can set up to display the pictures as you like e.g camera changing every few seconds to a different view or all cameras showing at once on one screen

once you have set up the switch this will run into a very good quality RF modulator wich will convert the camera picture into odviously RF and the tv aerial also plugs into the modulator and then a very short lead into the tv aerial input of the sat multiswitch

this will then distribute sat and terr and cctv and fm/dab if you have also inserted then into the amp

you can set the RF channel on the modulator to what you want,which you need to set no where near your tv channels and the rf settings on your sky ,videos,DTTV'S box,s and anything else that uses RF channels to transmit to the tv or you will have all sorts of problems as the signals clash

this can be difficult ina block of flats as everyone has lots of different equipment all set on dofferent settings, so careful planning will be needed