New Apartment. New TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Lurking, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Lurking

Lurking
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, I am moving in to a new apartment (my first) with my girlfriend at the beginning of next month. We currently only have one TV which would be fine except I'll kill myself if I have to share only one TV with her and watch HGTV & TLC on the regular. I figured buying another TV would be a much better move. I can spend about $1,000.00 Here are the things I want for my TV. I am hoping I could source some opinions from you fine people.

Required.

-HD

-46 - 55 inch

-Smart TV (mostly for Netflix)

-Good black levels

Desired -3D (passive or active)

I've read around here that LED is a waste of money. Is this valid? Looking forward to your opinions and suggestions. Thanks!

2. howardeas

howardeas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh I wouldn't suggest active ones if you're looking for 3D tvs (well, for so many reasons).
    Active 3D vs. Passive 3D | PCWorld read this first and make your mind on active or passive.

Best Passive 3D TV
    Above is list of best passive 3D tvs chosen by squidoo, which I mostly agree.
    From their list, your desired model would be
    -LG47LW6500
    -Vizio 47 Class theater 3D
    -LG55LW5600
    -Panasonic Viera series

Hope it helped :)

3. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,890
    Panasonic st or gt series should fall within your budget.
    Have the best black levels over any led/lcd, better motion, viewing angles etc etc. And an outstanding 2d pic. Also netflix on the smart tv side of things which is quick and easy to use.
    Active 3d in the uk we have a promo at the moment where you can claim 2 free pairs of glasses.

The whole passive vs active argument has been done to death one website will say one thing another website something else. It all boils down to what you like and what suits you.
    Personally im more an active fan as is my wife but others like passive.

Best to read some reviews and go demo some sets. Let your eyes be the judge. :)

4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Agree with above. I will add though that active on LCD and active on plasma are often not compared enough. For LCD passive is the way to go IMO as LCDs don't refresh fast enough fir active 3D, plasma does. Plasma only does active but IMO its better than passive also I personally think 2D is far better on plasma.

If in the US or Canada you may like to look on AVSForums as there are differences in the UK and EU sets to US sets.

The PCWorld article is out of date, glasses are far cheaper(I got two pairs with Megamind 3D bluray for £60) and even free in some cases. Many are re-changeable from the sets and many are also now using Bluetooth and are often very light. Those that don't recharge don't cost a lot in replacement batteries, you can get whole packs for a couple of pounds online.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. Lurking

Lurking
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you everyone for your replies! It is really appreciated. I'm also going to post this in the AVSForum to see if there are any differences in TVs sold in America as mentioned by someone here. Thank you all again!