New Anthem Receivers MRX 540 / 740 / 1140

So what's the verdict gentlemen? NAD or Anthem for 55/45 music/movies? I'm still torn between them , as much as I love my 720 it's time to upgrade

Listen to both...dont listen to people on here..be your own person
If it was only that easy, my local dealer has issues getting stock due to Brexit and Covid shi1e and I don't really fancy ordering the NAD online and then going through the hassle of returning it in case I don't love it

If it was only that easy, my local dealer has issues getting stock due to Brexit and Covid shi1e and I don't really fancy ordering the NAD online and then going through the hassle of returning it in case I don't love it
Yes, tricky: the advice in the NAD (T 778) thread is to wait for an upcoming hardware fix, so we may as well wait it out for the Anthem reviews...

There’s no way I’d buy the NAD, the fact my dealer dropped it and won’t sell it anymore says it all. Imagine the pain a product must have caused you as a dealer that you’d rather sell nothing than that product. So I don’t care how good it sounds, no thanks.

There’s no way I’d buy the NAD, the fact my dealer dropped it and won’t sell it anymore says it all. Imagine the pain a product must have caused you as a dealer that you’d rather sell nothing than that product. So I don’t care how good it sounds, no thanks.
Is it really that bad ? Or does it affect a small minority of user/user that are super sensitive to certain niggles? My Anthem MRX-720 has been faultless throughout the time I've had it (4 years) although since day one I occasionally have a minor thing with the avr not receiving the signal correctly when changing sources , usually I just have to switch it on and off and it's fine... I'm not bothered but I know some people would send it away first time it happened...

It’s bad enough they refused to sell it anymore, what do you think?

So what's the verdict gentlemen? NAD or Anthem for 55/45 music/movies? I'm still torn between them , as much as I love my 720 it's time to upgrade

Stick with Anthem, snap, crackle & pop! it's a no brainer..

"End of January" availability has been taken off the Anthem website and replaced with "End of February for the 540..... and 'nothing' with a blank for the 740 and 1140!

"End of January" availability has been taken off the Anthem website and replaced with "End of February for the 540..... and 'nothing' with a blank for the 740 and 1140!
I think that blank means it's avalible but this is defenatly one of the worst rollouts that I've seen for a product/line.

Covid or no covid, this doesn't make me feel good about switching to Anthem.

I think that blank means it's avalible but this is defenatly one of the worst rollouts that I've seen for a product/line.

Yes, agreed. 740s and 1140s must have started shipping. It certainly would make commercial sense to fulfill the top end orders first!

Id probably better chip in with the information im privy to.

At the moment the first items slated to arrive are the MRX740s and the AVM70s, "some" should arrive into me in two weeks, but we are still unsure on the exact numbers as this information hasn't been shared.

Unfortunately that partial sliver lining does come with a caveat on some of the other models. MRX1140, MRX540 will be a further two months (roughly), with the AVM90 being even later in the year with a date as yet unspecified. We are looking at options to soften this wait for our customers if we can, something which is still under discussion with myself and Nick. No one will be left in the lurch.

My understanding is that the delay on the 1140 and 540 is a direct result of the fire at the AKM chip manufacturer which was widely publicised in December, their chip is an integral part of the AVR platform. They aren't the only company to have been hit badly by this, JVC projectors are also non existent as a direct result of that situation. Couple that with COVID and Brexit and you get the picture...............

If I hear any more on numbers or dates Ill try to share.

Dan

Last edited:
I had the 758v3 with dirac. Its not an argument its just my opinion. Before that i had one of the first mrx300 which i had for years.
I also had the anthem D2v3d and 710 and 720. hopefully the new 740 sounds better than the last ones.

Last edited:
You should definitely try and listen to both to decide for yourself. For me I preferred the nad t778 to the anthem 720. Especially for Music. Hopefully the anthem 740 will be better. I would still like to try one. I am not a fanboy of any. I only take what's best for me.

A delayed launch due to a suppliers factory fire and global pandemic is no reflection on the quality of the product.

A delayed launch due to a suppliers factory fire and global pandemic is no reflection on the quality of the product.
That was kind of my point, we are in unprecedented times and given the factors, it is good we will have at least some stock for some customers who committed early. For those who the delay will directly effect, we will have a solution should they wish to wait.

Dan

So you're telling me that a fire that accrued in late October hindered the December roll-out of the initial AVR's/Proceccors line? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

If what they say is true, then Anthem didn't purchase the DAC's before late October and intended to buy parts, manufacture, do QC & ship worldwide the new line in a timeframe of just over a month? This seems very unlikely. We also saw pictures of the models in Q1 of 2020, so we know they were working on this line long before the initial release.

Also, if the fire did impact them so much, why give shipping dates if you know you could not meet the deadline? They announced the line and the shipping dates a week after the fire. They already knew that they're in trouble in terms of the deadline.

BTW, my critic is not on the quality of the product but on its rollout. both in marketing and shipping aspects. Hopefully, we won't have and hardware/software issues.

At the end of the day, the 740 is still the favorite contender for my next upgrade. I just wish that the rollout was as good as the quality it promises to give.

As I said above, the information that I read from an official email which Pulse, main supplier to UK, stated it was the 540 and 1140 230v models (UK) that are being affected with the estimated 45 day delay to production restarting.
Whether some are/have appeared in Canada is by the by and speculating as to why is a waste of anyone's time. It's obviously not like they gain anything in delays and risk losing sales, if anything. Here's a cut n paste from Anthem:

anthem.JPG

USA users are reporting ARC is not functional in the current firmware so the delay may not be such a bad thing.

USA users are reporting ARC is not functional in the current firmware so the delay may not be such a bad thing.
Source, please?

People on AVS Forum are talking about it in the AVM 70/90 thread.
Found it, thanks. Some interesting initial findings: astonishing that ARC is not functional.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom