1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New animation news for Sky Digital customers!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Oct 8, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Last year, a new animation channel started, called CNX. Essentially, it tried to cater to Japanese animation and cult film fans, in the 18-45 age range. However, because ratings weren't great, the channel was rebranded as "Toonami", where it launched in September 2003.

Well, thankfully, the ratings for "Toonami" are better. The better news, though, is that "Toonami" are introducing what US animation fans know as the "Adult Swim" block. :thumbsup:

Essentially, every Friday and Saturday nights, between the hours of 10:40pm and approximately 4am, (starting in November), "Toonami" will air material of a more mature nature, and/or uncut versions of their daytime output. "Adult Swim" is what this block of programming is known as, in the US. Now it's coming to the UK, for adult animation fans here! :clap:

This will include uncut versions of:
    - Dragonball Z
    - Outlaw Star
    - Cowboy BeBop
    - Tenchi Muyo
    - Tenchi Universe
    - The Big O
    - Trigun
    - Gundam Wing
    and many more, over the coming months. :clap:

Full details, can be found over at: this website here

I hope this will prove of interest to some of you!

Pooch

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Good news but the anime will still be Dubbed so I'll stick with my dvds.

3. Danj

Danj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to disappoint you, but that's not what's going to be in the UK version of "Adult Swim" at all. In fact, it seems like the only similarity between the UK and US "Adult Swim" will be the name - the UK one is not going to contain any anime whatsoever. My source for this information is Finn Arnesen, the head of programming for Toonami, and while he didn't specify in his reply to my email what shows will be aired as part of "Adult Swim" he did say "the block will begin with the comedy shows not the late night anime shows" so basically I think you can just expect the return of things like Harvey Birdman and so on.

4. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, Adult Swim features a lot of the shows which I liked CNX for:

Sealab2021, Harvey Birdman, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Brak Show, Space Ghost etc etc

And in the US Adult Swim also features Family Guy & Futurama, although I doubt Toonami will get those.

Excellent news if they are going to show Sealab again.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,641
    I would have liked to see "Big O" get broadcast on a more consistent level :(. Toonami were a bit erratic in scheduling and episode order.

6. Danj

Danj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And, strangely enough, "Adult Swim" has now disappeared off the schedule. If you check your Sky EPG, or your regular TV listings magazine, it's nowhere to be found. I've emailed my contact at Toonami to try and find out what's going on; if I hear anything I'll post it here.