1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new and naiive

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MrMatt, Oct 16, 2004.

1. MrMatt

MrMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks :)

As I said I'm new to the home audio game and havent got a clue what I'm looking at, I'm much more at home with my I.C.E but by the looks of things in this forum its a totaly different can of worms.

I'm on a tight budget being a student with a family so I was considering buying second hand to get more bang for my buck. A freind of a freind is moving to the US and is selling his setup and I would like your honest and if neccesary brutal oppionion on what he has for sale, as I am very ignorant to hifi I aint even heard of anything hes selling.

He's selling for the best offer recieved:
    Cambrige Audio A500 amp
    Cambridge Audio D100 CD
    TDL Studio 10 floorstanders
    Gale 3080 sub

Are these worth a 30 mile trip to listen to and if so how much should I be paying, btw I tend to crindge when subjected to cheep s**t audio so I could do without wasting my time (I'm sure you can level with me).

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    :thumbsup: Welcome to the Forums buddy :thumbsup: .
    I too came here with an ICE background :) but this game is not hard to understand once you get used to it.
    One lesson I learned is don't be put off by a Hifi/Av amp having what we would regard as a low power rating, my 45 watt pc Arcam can really annoy the neighbours.

I've owned Cambridge amps before and they have a nice sound and can generally go pretty loud.

3. MrMatt

MrMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mylo,
    Has anybody else had experience of this hardware? I could do with an idea of how much the kit is worth, I beleive the freind of a friend is looking for around £300 for the lot, is this reasonable or a waste of my hard earned cash?
    BTW I'm really struggling to find any info on the tdl's, a bit off putting imo, also the Gale sub seems only to exist on the RS website :confused: . :(
    Any oppinons would be greatfully recieved.

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would save your petrol money,save your £300,and look at a little Rotel amp,entry level cd player,and some £150-200 small speakers (B&W,Tannoy etc),so about £4-500 in total will be far better.

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    £300 is too high for that lot second hand in my opinion. No problem with the kit itself, just too much money. Keep an eye on our classifieds forum, bargains come up quite often :thumbsup:

Cheers, Mylo

6. MrMatt

MrMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I'l will head your adice and start hunting. :smashin: