New and confused....

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mur6v, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Mur6v

Mur6v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Brand new to the forum, having been recommended to you from elsewhere.

Needing desperate advice. I have tried to search the forum itself, but, I am a layman and need an idiots guide.

So, I am looking to buy a 37" LCD tv. Nothing fancy, I don't currently have Sky nor do I make use just now of any Cinema surround set up.

I like the Toshiba 37WL56 or 37WL58. The 56 would probably be better, because Freeview reception here is quite dismal ( Can you swap from digital to analogue on a integrated freeview tv?)

Anyway, yes you know where this is going, I am utterly confused as to HD Ready and HD Compatible. What is the difference in simple terms?

Are the above tvs both 'future proofed'? If I decide not to go for either of these tellys, what must I look for, to be covered.

As I dont have Sky as yet, and it may be some time before I do ( a long story dont ask), will the fact that I have purchased a HD telly be affected by a analogue/digital signal? Will it look rubbish?

Thanks for any likely replies....

2. baxter

baxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

like yourself I came with very little idea as to what to look for in a future proof television and although I am no expert I have picked up quite a bit of useful information from here, enough infact to make an informed decision and order up a new HD ready LCD television. This is it below

http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...es/lcdplasma-lcdfreeview-32wlt58?opendocument

I am reliably informed to go or "HD ready" as opposed to "HD compatible", the reason being that compatible is a gimmick and ones to avoid.

The television I ordered up as two HMDI (high definition multimedia interfaces) for hooking up sky HD and a future games console (Xbox 360 or PS3).Or as I'm led to believe HD DVD players.

It also has three scart contactors and I will be able to plug a desktop PC directly into and set up a wireless network.

Another deciding factor was it had free view, which frees up another wise used connector at the back.

This set is only 32" but is ideal for the size of my room. I believe it is as near to future proof as I could get with the budget I had.

I went for this not only because of the reviews it has but also on recommendations from here, so yes I would recommend Toshiba.

Hope this helps Baxter