1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Amplifier decisions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rjcowan, Feb 21, 2005.

1. rjcowan

rjcowan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Finally after having put my money together I have a budget for a new amp. Currently I am running a Yamaha 640 to drive B&W 602.5's at the front and 601's at the rear with the LCR60 for the center.
    I have about £600 and have been recommended the Harman 330. Any other suggestions to go look at?

2. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if u love the Yamaha sound,i recommend u look at the new RXV650/750 & if u are in the UK u will find DSP-AX750SE which (all of them)are very good & have great stereo sound in Pure Direct mode beside the famous Yamaha performance in movies.

read the review of the 750 on this site,i think it's surpassed the HK330.

3. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marantz 5500 (a bit warm) or Pioneer 1014 (more Yammy) are both winners in that class.

4. rjcowan

rjcowan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks. I was just wondering if the change of Amp would make that big a difference. I am doing an upgrade and wondered would I really notice the difference if I added a bit more cash. What do you think?

I find the yamaha great for sound but the 640 I have over half volume to get any volume out of it.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Harman Kardon amp will go nicely with the B&W Speakers good match and nice amp.

Cheers

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'd throw in the Marantz SR7500 into the mix too, you should be able to negotiate a price closer to £600 with your dealer.

The SR7500 is probably one of the leading amps under £800, the Pioneer 2014 would also be a good choice, but the Marantz is more musical. Personally, I've been quite dissappointed with the current HK range, their build looks flimsy not many features and the sound (although very good) has fallen behind some of the class leaders such as Pioneer, Marantz, Arcam, Yamaha and Denon, in fact, the HK models maybe the only range I would NOT reccommend with their current amps........hope this doesn't offend anyone, it is just my opinion :). Mind you, with your B&Ws hooked up to it, it could work quite well, as they are well suited to each other.

When you get to the £600-£800 price bracket, you are almost guaranteed to get a cracking unit, most differ on house sound, so it depends on what you prefer, and what will suit your B&Ws.

7. rjcowan

rjcowan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the guidance looks like i am out demo'ing again. alway hard with something like the amp

8. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    dont worry ill keep you right when we go for demo!

like the time you wanted to spent £850 on speakers :thumbsup:

lets make it a cool £1000 this time

mark