1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Amplifier £500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chino, Feb 3, 2003.

1. chino

chino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy an amplifier to partner my new speakers, Monitor Audio S6's. 6 ohms, 120W, 91db sensitivity.

Has anyone got any recommendations for waht amp i could get? New or Second-Hand (preferably new). Maybe a power amp to add on to my NAD C320.

Thanks,

Chino

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    How about the NAD C270 power amp as an add-on to your C320? 120W power and very good reviews everywhere. Should give you MA's a real kick up the skirts!:cool:

3. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi chino,

I've just (today) put my Yamaha DSP-A1 up for sale. It's black and has had proper banana sockets fitted by VideoTec. It's in its original box with manual and remote.

I'm after £500 plus postage.

I'll be posting it in the appropriate place on the forum later today so if you're quick...

D.

[BEGIN EDIT]

Doh!

I was in too much of a hurry. I failed to realise you were after a stereo amp. Still, now's your chance to go multi-channel ;)

[END EDIT]

4. chino

chino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers David but I'm sticking with stereo for now. ;)

Yeh I've thought about the C270, I wondered if it would lack a bit of refinement though compared to an integrated amp of similar (well close) cost like the Roksan Kandy MkIII.

Probably be something I'll have a listen to sometime.

Chino

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Take a look at an Arcam P85, not sure of exact price, but it should be in your budget.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Take a look at the Rotel RA1060 ... might be slightly more than you're budget ... but a very good all round amp for the money. (IMO even better then a Tag 60i).

I demo'd against the NAD C370, Rotel RA02 and Tag 60i.

Also take a look at Arcam A85 - should be able to pick one up S/H or ex-dem for around £500.

Victoria

7. chino

chino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would an A85 be much better than a Roksan Kandy MkIII? I will obviously be having a listen to these at some point and probably the Rotel 1060.

Victoria - I notice your from loughborough, do you know any good hifi shops there that sell this sort of stuff? I've been to stuart westmoreland but thats the only one i know

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    In Loughborough itself there is as you've discovered Stuart Westmoreland who mostly sell TVs and more consumer end Hi Fi (Denon / Yamaha / Sony and "systems") ... they are however Arcam dealers - I got a great deal on an ex-dem DV88 just after Christmas. There is also a little hifi shop in a house just past the Library opposite the park, and a (if it's still there) a little shop down opposite the bingo hall.

So long as you don't mind travelling to Leicester ... then visit Leicester HiFi in St Martins Square. Also in the same area of Leicester is Cymbiosis (not sure if thats spelt right) and also Sevenoaks - though my recomendation is that Leicester HiFi have the nicest, most knowledgeable staff and will give 10% discount off RRP on most things. Just out of town on London Road is a Richer Sounds with good staff and a good range.

Going to Nottingham gets you similar chains of stores including Sevenoaks, SuperFi and Richer Sounds (though the Notts Richer Sounds is very poor shop). I don't know of any independent Hi Fi dealers in Nottingham but do know that there are some.

Victoria