1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Amp ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by skinnyfat, May 14, 2005.

1. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. My first thread so if i'm repeating a lot of what has been asked before I apologise.

As you can see from my sig my amp is hugely insufficient for my current speaker package. The JVC was my first bite at Home cinema and unfortunately for my wallet the bug has bitten. My first upgrade was my speaker package which I feel I got for a bargain.

Kef Q9c - R 1060 (South african Rands) Exchange rate is R 11 to 1 British pound
    Q1 - R1300 (pair)
    Q7 - R3500

My question is I am now ready to upgrade my amp and am looking at one of the following:
    Yamaha RXV 2500
    Denon AVR 2805
    Pioneer equivalent

The Yammy I can get through a friend who works for Yamaha SA for R4000-00.
    The Denon retails in SA for R8500-00, The pioneer is a similar price to the Denon. This may sound like a stupidly obvious question but is the Denon any better than the Yammy and if so better enough to justify me spending twice as much on it ?

Thanks

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Skinny,

The Denon is better than the Yamaha and Pioneer for some situations. Equally the Yamaha and Pioneer. They are all very good amps.

But twice the price! No, just get the Yamaha and enjoy.

Cheers

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The yamaha 2500 is the equivalent to the denon 3805, is half the price but has equivalent features and performance. The denon wouldn't be worth twice the price. It would actualy be difficult to go between them if they were the same price, brand loyaty and a need for denon link would clinch it.

4. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice.

Confirmed my suspicions. I have always held Denon in very high regard, but also respected Yamaha. I demoed the two side by side at a local retailer and to me they both sound equally impressive. The salesman seemed to think that they would both go well with the Kefs ( any one else got this combo?). Based on this and the price, a new Yamaha 2500 is on its way :smashin: .
    Thanks for the help.

Skinny